Whistleing and Single Malts.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Ah....I'll have to say I'll be sticking to my good cheap Tennessee and Kentucky bourbon whiskeys. Good, cheap, and gets the job done.
Just like most of my whistles.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Ahhh, the waters of life.

Any fan of single/double malts would enjoy the book

Proof
by Dick Francis

one of my favorites that I've read many times.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

this was also a very interesting book to read: Bad Whisky, by Edward Burns

A unique insight into the scandal that raged at the turn of the twentith century surrounding the adulteration of whisky in public houses throughout the UK. Returning to contemporary press reports and Hansard, the author masterfully unravels the scandal which eventaully resulted in laws being passed to create safeguards for what is now known the world over as Scotch. The extent of adulteration was widespread with additives such as meths, shellac gum, sulphuric acid, and boot polish. The North British Daily Mail took up the fight against the practice when, out of 30 samples of 'whisky' taken out of public hoiuses, only 2 were found to be whisky. With some of the most prominent figures in Scottish public life joining the fray, the battle was on to clear up Scotch.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Speyburn and Glenmorangie for me :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
AaronMalcomb

Re: Glenfiddich

Post by AaronMalcomb »

RamblDoc wrote:First, I want to compliment Aaron Malcomb on his snazzy (new?) avatar.
Thanks. I was futtering about trying to design a cool monogram and le voila! I think I've had it for a few months.

You had cask strengh Laphroaig, Henke? Yikes! I tried cask strength Macallan and that was a mighty drink. When I was 18, Henke I crudely initiated myself into the world of single malt whisky. I think it was 15 year Glenmorangie.

If you're ever after a blended malt, The Famous Grouse is the best.

Cheers,
Aaron
Phil Hardy

Awestruck!

Post by Phil Hardy »

Well,you guys certainly know yer stuff.
I have just picked up a bottle of 12yo Lochruan (speyside) on a discount and it's smooth with a lemon/peaty finish.mmmmmmmm
I'll be shareing it with Mr Hinnigan today as he is over for another session.
Tony,who is from Glasgow is definately drawn to a good whisky and has a wealth of knowlege about the stuff as he has sampled most brands.
Islays will be next on the list.
Buy the way ,Tonys' new site www.tonyhinnigan.com is nearly there.You guys will have a field day.There are interviews,comentaries,galleries and mp3 track downloads of all his music.It has taken a very long time to compile all the data but well worth the effort.I'll post when it's up.
So back to the whiskys'.

McPhiol
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

JessieD wrote:You people are out of my league! I enjoy a good bottle of Thunderbird with the boys on a Friday night! Served in a paper bag of course!

:lol:

I'll join you with a 40 of Milwaukee's Best Ice. :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

My partner Lucy (a whistler and very occasional C&F poster) grew up in a place called Knockando and right next door (literally) to Tamdhu. Both of these are of course whisky distilleries of great distinction. As you might expect she is something of an expert on whisky although her dad is even more so. Her sister also works at Macallan so we can get numerous single malts cheaply as well as your ordinary Macallan and Famous Grouse. My personal fave at the moment is Highland Park (from Orkney) although probably the most amazing liquid to ever to lubricate my thrapple was an old port finished Bowmore which cost £8 a dram!!! It really blew my mind that one.

Gerry
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

I don't seem to notice the all my missed notes after a few visits with Mr. Macallan or Mr. Talisker. In fact, my play becomes much more pleasing, at least to my ears. Has anyone else had this experience? :D
amar

Post by amar »

it was 1991, the first time i and my then girl-friend went to scotland. we had an excellent meal, there was an elderly couple there too, they had been watching us and just enjoyed seeing us. After our meal Glynn came to me and asked whether i had ever had scottish whisky. well, to that point i didn't have a clue, i said that i had tried some at some point at my parents' place, but, i really didn't have a clue about whiskies. Anyway, he said he'd invite us to a dram of whisky we would never ever forget. he was right. it still is one of my favorite whiskies today.

The Macallan
(it was the regular 10year old.)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

are we talking about whisky again? It seems you boys have nothing better to do with your time :roll:
I actually bought a bottle of Tullamore Dew lately (yes, amar, I do realize this isn't WHISKY). But it seems that it's difficult to buy single malt anything here and so it was blended. I believe that's almost anathema to quite a few here. But it wasn't too bad. It tasted good in my coffee at any rate :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

izzarina wrote:are we talking about whisky again? It seems you boys have nothing better to do with your time :roll:
I actually bought a bottle of Tullamore Dew lately (yes, amar, I do realize this isn't WHISKY). But it seems that it's difficult to buy single malt anything here and so it was blended. I believe that's almost anathema to quite a few here. But it wasn't too bad. It tasted good in my coffee at any rate :D

Hmm, I've never tried whisky or whiskey in my coffee. I am partial to a bit of Bailey's in it, though. Yes, I know Baileys has whikey in it, I meant I've never had whiskEy in my coffee straight.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

I'd agree that Famous Grouse is a pretty good blend. If you just want a drink then it's fine!

Cragganmore is classic Speyside but try Aberlour or Knockando for that smooth nectar taste as well. Not sure I'd bother with Glenfiddich myself. Laphroaig or Bunnahabhain to me seems to epitomise what a good Islay whisky should be - complex and you can almost taste that west coast spray!

Gerry
amar

Post by amar »

best sold blend in scotland: famous grouse
best sold malt in scotland: glenmorangie (please, pronounced as in glenmORANgie)
best sold malt worldwide: glenfiddich (which doesn't make it the best..)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Montana wrote:By the way, kevin, what are "Real Ales"?

I'm not Kevin, but I'm guessing that he is talking about cask conditioned ales. Typically breweries try to condition their beer for a long shelf life, and have it ready to drink as soon as it is shipped out. They do stuff like filter, chill, and stick it in a keg (this is a very short, not much detail explanation). This has an affect on the tast of beer. Beer that is put in a can or bottle is also processed this way.

"Real Ales" on the otherhand, are ales that undergo their secondary fermentation in a cask. The brewery typically sticks a bit of sugar into the casks to encourage the secondary ferementation. When the casks arrive at the pub, normally the pub will store them in a cool cellar for a number of months.

When ready to serve, real ales are served at what is called "cellar temperature", typically a bit cooler than room temp, somewhere in the range of mid-50's (F). The beer is served by dispensing directly from the cask by a "beer engine" which is sort of a suction pump.

Anyway, real ales have a distinct flavor difference.

Hope that helps. All the Best, Tom

Edited for typos, grammar and other idotic stuff.
Last edited by TomB on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"