Whistleing and Single Malts.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistleing and Single Malts.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Not being much of a spirits drinker,I found myself with a christmas present of a selection of Scottish Single Malt Whiskys.
Well...I must say that mixed with a little water this has definately improved my whistleing.
I'm hooked.
There must be another level that single malts take you to,I have just recently finished a track for the new CD that was somewhat Scottish in flavour (US flavor)and it and the whisky went down a treat.
I have my mate Chris to thank for introducing me to the single malt and may his life be a long,forfilled and happy one.
Am I alone in this?.

Phil.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

No, you're not alone.

I'm particularly fond of Islay malts - Laphroig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Ardbeg, (still need to try Port Ellen, Caol Ila, & Bunnahabhain).

I'm particularly fond of Steven Brust's comment that Laphroig tastes like a bagpipe (GHB) sounds.

But I'd never claim that it makes my playing better. :lol:
Phil Hardy

My Current Fav.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Yes Sir,I have tried the Laphoig and found it out on it's own for flavour (US flavor)
My current fav is Tobermoray,it just grabbed me as soon as it hit.
Saying that I have just invested $30 in a bottle of Speyside.....mmmm.
Phil.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Bunnahabhainn is a joy. I'm an Islay fan too.

Slainte!
Aaron
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Yes,I'm partial to Islay malts,and also west Highland Malts too-I'm quite a fan of a drop of the 'Oban',though I very rarely drink spirits these days,in favour of 'Real Ales'.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Montana

Post by Montana »

I got my friend a bottle of MacCallan's for Christmas that is already being whittled away during these cold days.
I too like Oban. I find straight Laphroig a little too peaty for my taste but that changes with the addition of ice. It causes a definite change in character.
By the way, kevin, what are "Real Ales"?
malanstevenson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Phil,

Islay malts are definitely the way to go - the most complex (i.e. yummy) single malts going, if you like the smoky/peat flavor. Ardbeg 17 yr. old is my absolute favorite (but pricey): the peatiness isn't overpowering, and is smoothness has to be tasted to be believed. The Ardbeg 10 yr. old is no slouch either. Laphraoig 10 yr. old struck me as a bit medicinal, but I've not had the older stuff.

Tried Caol Isla recently, also highly recommended, comparable to my memory of Lagavulin but smoother. However, their sales pitch is "one of the rarest Islay malts", so good luck finding a bottle. Or, duh, was that just a sales pitch?

Of the Speyside malts, I've not tried many but Cragganmore is a keeper.

Welcome to the world of Scotch Snobs. Wild Turkey anyone?

Mark
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I have a Speyside at home called Longmorn that's very nice.

Ardbeg is next on my list.

Cheers,
Aaron
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

You people are out of my league! I enjoy a good bottle of Thunderbird with the boys on a Friday night! Served in a paper bag of course!

:lol:
Henke

Post by Henke »

I love single malt whisky, and I'm probably one of the youngest whisky fans here at age of 18, not many people in my age that enjoys it. I can't really say that I have an absolute favurite though, can't decide. What I currently stock at home is a 10y.o. Aberlour (Speyside) which I like, other great Speysides I have tried includes The Macallans, Tamnavulin and The Glenlivet (my favurite Speyside). I also tried a wonderful Bowmore a while ago and also Laphraoig 10y.o cask strengh which was very nice but really powerful. I try to taste a little of as many as I can and I'm really lucky because my uncle is a big fan of whisky and he usually keeps 10+ different bottles at home so sometimes I get to try a few.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ahhhhhhhhhh, single malt whiskies, there is simply no better drink. :) :)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

amar wrote:ahhhhhhhhhh, single malt whiskies, there is simply no better drink. :) :)
Better than root beer and milk?

Amazing.

Best wishes,
Jerry
RamblDoc

Glenfiddich

Post by RamblDoc »

First, I want to compliment Aaron Malcomb on his snazzy (new?) avatar. Very celtic. And should be, for a piper.
I have consumed, several years ago, a few bottles of Glenfiddich. Is this brand a single malt ? How does it compare to the others mentioned ? I judged it quite OK then, but there are few scotch whiskies I don't like.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Yes, Glenfiddich is a single malt.

Not my favorite, but quite decent (a bit light bodied for my taste). You might want to try The Glenlivet (similar style, but better IMHO), The Macallan, or Glenmorangie - all good.

If you find you like the smoky/peaty/full bodied style, try some of the Islays we've been discussing, or Talisker (a Skye whisky, but very similar to the Islays).

Oddly, though I really like blended Irish Whiskeys (Bushmills, Jameson's, Tullamore Dew) I don't care for blended Scotch - in Scotch, it's malt or nothing.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Phil Hardy wrote:Not being much of a spirits drinker,I found myself with a christmas present of a selection of Scottish Single Malt Whiskys.
Well...I must say that mixed with a little water this has definately improved my whistleing.
I'm hooked.
You know what they say...the smoker you drink the player you get. :)

I see it has definitely improved your spelling too. Heck...when I start tipping back the single-malt not only does my whistle playing improve but it makes me more handsome and intelligent as well. It also enhances my charm and wit. Just ask anyone I’ve thrown up on. Hey...I'm hooked too!

Cheers (hic),
David