Joanie Madden sends her regards and this cool picture

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

JessieK wrote:My husband has a Masters Degree in English Literature, and yet he used the word "penultimate" incorrectly before (and shortly after) we met.
The use of "penultimate" to mean "the very last" has by now become so frequent that the meaning has become ambiguous. I don't use the word. Even if the person who hears me knows that it originally meant "second to last" they would be left to wonder whether I am using the world correctly. So the word is more trouble than it's worth, a distraction, and anyway it's typically used these days in an effort to sound stiff and formal.
/Bloomfield
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

JessieD wrote:I dont have a degree but I think it means next to perfect?
Hey Dude, then that would mean you? :D
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I got a penultimate for Christmas back when I was in high school one time. It would write upside down, underwater, in space, in three colors, and was shockproof. But it fell out of my pocket and I lost it.
I think the same it came from the same people who made Pocket Fisherman.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

That Mont Blanc was the very best writing instrument I ever had. It was the penultimate.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

vomitbunny wrote:I got a penultimate for Christmas back when I was in high school one time. It would write upside down, underwater, in space, in three colors, and was shockproof. But it fell out of my pocket and I lost it.
I think the same it came from the same people who made Pocket Fisherman.
Ladies and Gentlemen ...

We have a winner!

Best wishes,
Jerry
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I confess to missing vomitbunny's pen post. Mine seems so pathetic now.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

FJohnSharp wrote:I confess to missing vomitbunny's pen post. Mine seems so pathetic now.
I think yours was the penultimate.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Tamadden

Re: Joanie Madden sends her regards and this cool picture

Post by Tamadden »

I don't know if this was mentioned here before, but since I was in the audience the night this picture was taken, let me tell you about it.

Joanie and Mary were playing up a storm on the stage of CIAW in East Durham, NY. Between tunes Joanie announced that she had been talking with folks on the Chiff and Fipple board about what she should do for her next recording, and a popular answer had been to do an album with Mary Bergin. Joanie asked Mary about it that very night before going on stage and Mary agreed. Let me tell you, the audience was all for it.

So Joanie, since you put Mary on the spot in front of a couple of hundred witnesses in the Catskills last summer, is this still on track? Is it true that Dale Wisely will be on the cover (I checked this rumor on the Urban Legends website but did not find anything)?

Have fun in Glasgow.

Tom
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Is there anyone here that won't buy that CD?

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Joanie Madden sends her regards and this cool picture

Post by Dale »

Tamadden wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned here before, but since I was in the audience the night this picture was taken, let me tell you about it.

Joanie and Mary were playing up a storm on the stage of CIAW in East Durham, NY. Between tunes Joanie announced that she had been talking with folks on the Chiff and Fipple board about what she should do for her next recording, and a popular answer had been to do an album with Mary Bergin. Joanie asked Mary about it that very night before going on stage and Mary agreed. Let me tell you, the audience was all for it.

So Joanie, since you put Mary on the spot in front of a couple of hundred witnesses in the Catskills last summer, is this still on track? Is it true that Dale Wisely will be on the cover (I checked this rumor on the Urban Legends website but did not find anything)?

Have fun in Glasgow.

Tom

As an act of mercy, I will decline to be on the cover. However, I WOULD write the liner notes.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Funny you should mention Bloomy...To be honest I never much thought about the meaning of nor used "penultimate," but my professor recently used the word jduring a Spanish immersion class, as in the "penultimate syllable" whilst discussing pronunciation and stress (of vowels as opposed to nervousness or edginess). I suppose, if I'd ever thought of it, I too probably thought it meant numero uno as well. Live and learn...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

StewySmoot wrote:Ms. Madden,

Please inform your friend that her hands are backward and her bottom pinky is not steadying the whistle.
Furthermore, she looks like she is blowing the whistle out of the side of her mouth instead of centred correctly.
These are essentials for improvement if she ever expects to play lively reels.

Smoot
I've wondered about this before. Why is it that everyone is so insistent that flat fingers are the only way to go, yet I've seen great whistlers play with crooked fingers and even out of the side of their mouths' :o

Did Mary learn to play this way, or did she only change after she reached the point of Whistle Queen? Curious, thanks.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

OnTheMoor wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:Ms. Madden,

Please inform your friend that her hands are backward and her bottom pinky is not steadying the whistle.
Furthermore, she looks like she is blowing the whistle out of the side of her mouth instead of centred correctly.
These are essentials for improvement if she ever expects to play lively reels.

Smoot
I've wondered about this before. Why is it that everyone is so insistent that flat fingers are the only way to go, yet I've seen great whistlers play with crooked fingers and even out of the side of their mouths' :o

Did Mary learn to play this way, or did she only change after she reached the point of Whistle Queen? Curious, thanks.
I don't know from flat fingers or upon which compass point of the lips to place the instrument, but I'll hazard a guess that left-hand-on-top happens because it's easier to transition to (or even FROM) a transverse flute, which is not very easily played lefty.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

Various snips:

Smoot[/quote]

but I'll hazard a guess that left-hand-on-top happens because it's easier to transition to (or even FROM) a transverse flute, which is not very easily played lefty.

M[/quote]

Good spot Smoot - in fact Mary plays left handed.

M - lefty on both flute an whistle.

All the best,

Tom
ctladies
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and I love to play the whistle! I met Dale and now he is the main man of whistlers. I can't wait to get back on the road again as this coronavirus is the worst!

You're killing me

Post by ctladies »

Let me tell you all that you guys are killing me! You're all so damn funny!

Thanks for the laughs!!!

....Dale on the cover.....mmmmm...now that is a thought!

I'm packing and heading for Glasgow tonight!!! Good luck everyone!

Joanie Madden