The 8th of January

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

The 8th of January

Post by Walden »

It's the Eighth of January, a good day for some fiddling.

The Eighth of January MP3

This recording was made in 1940, among the so-called Dustbowl Okies, who migrated west.
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Oh, and I thought you were going to mention Elvis Presley's birthday (he'd be 70 today). The classic film channels are all playing his movies all day. (grade B to C - never an Elvis movie fan myself)

Susan
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

The 8th of January at one time was celebrated as a holiday big enough to rival July 4. (Hear the NPR story)

I spent the weekend (including the 8th of January) at a fiddle camp--feeling very much like the cat at the dog show--and was gratified to hear that tune played during a jam session.

You gotta love a holiday that celebrates a battle in which Jean Lafitte the pirate was on "our" side.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I was surprised to hear this played at one of the local Irish sessions last summer. Or rather, someone started "The Battle of New Orleans", with instrumental breaks between each verse for the tune. I'm afraid my playing of the tune owes more to the song (which was one of my first 45s when I was a wee lad) than any proper fiddle performance.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

My son seems to have his PC set up so that there's no sound, so I can't listen to the clips. Sound seems to be turned on in the control panel, so I think it's some kind of hardware disconnect. I'll have to check with him when he gets home.

Still, I went up to my room (my granddaughter's, acutally) and ran through the tune a few times on the whistle ,and then on the guitar. I normally play it out of G position on the guitar, but I find D easier on the whistle, because in G I have to half-hole the second-octave C-nat on the Syn, and I'm still not very good at doing that on fast tunes.

To me, this is one of those fiddle tunes that sounds its very best on the fiddle--preferably with lots of drones, and long-short-short bowing. I can get a bit of that feel on the guitar, but not yet on the whistle.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Montana

Post by Montana »

Hey... and another good day will be the 28th of January (although it's an old time tune).
Here's an mp3 of that tune but I'll have to warn you that it's a pretty cheesy midi recording. http://www.homestead.com/hetzler/files/ ... anuary.mid
Amazing how you can try to google for: "The 28th of January", mp3, tune.
You come up with sites with: "The opening is the 28th of January when...download mp3 or tune in for more at..."
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Montana wrote:Hey... and another good day will be the 28th of January (although it's an old time tune)
Is there an event to go with the date?

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

For what it's worth heres a pretty good version of the 28th:

http://artists.iuma.com/dl/Wild_Rumpus_ ... anuary.mp3
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

susnfx wrote:Oh, and I thought you were going to mention Elvis Presley's birthday (he'd be 70 today). Susan
That was my Dad's birthday too-- we never stopped ribbing him about the Elvis thing!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Just by coincidence, I'm currently learning a very pretty slow air called The Month of January.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Steven

Post by Steven »

brewerpaul wrote:
susnfx wrote:Oh, and I thought you were going to mention Elvis Presley's birthday (he'd be 70 today). Susan
That was my Dad's birthday too-- we never stopped ribbing him about the Elvis thing!
Wow, your dad is Elvis??!!!

:boggle:
Steven
Montana

Post by Montana »

blackhawk wrote:Just by coincidence, I'm currently learning a very pretty slow air called The Month of January.
I just ran across a CD somewhere (think I was cruising Amazon) that had a collection of artists.
One of the tunes was "The Month of January" played by Seamus Egan. Wish I could remember what CD it was.
Oh hey! WHat about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 23-1741634
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Ok, I did a search for Jan, 8th holiday, and found these two, basically the same. Don't know what nationality.
Janaury 8th - Seres - Strimi, Zilagani, Nea Kassani - exchange of male and female roles
January 8th - Aspro near Kilkis - exchange of male and female roles.
Maybe Greek.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

mvhplank wrote:
Montana wrote:Hey... and another good day will be the 28th of January (although it's an old time tune)
Is there an event to go with the date?
Maybe the surrender of Paris in 1871?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Montana wrote:
blackhawk wrote:Just by coincidence, I'm currently learning a very pretty slow air called The Month of January.
I just ran across a CD somewhere (think I was cruising Amazon) that had a collection of artists.
One of the tunes was "The Month of January" played by Seamus Egan. Wish I could remember what CD it was.
Oh hey! WHat about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 23-1741634
Thanks, Montana, I'll check it out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato