Reed rejuvenation

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
David Lim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reed rejuvenation

Post by David Lim »

Hi,

I've been playing a great reed made by Dave Williams for about 6 or 7 months.

It mellowed out nicely over that time but became a bit dull, needed more pressure and was less happy about jumping to second octave Gs and As.

Last week we went walking up in the Derbyshire hills and we were heading on for a few tunes at someone house after. I didn't want to leave my pipes locked in the car but weight was an issue so I took the chanter in my rucksack on a 3 hour walk, some of it in the snow.

Setting my pipes up in the warm house afterwards I anticipated some problems and they did take 20 minutes of so to settle down.

The suprising thing is they are now playing so much easier than before with great tone and tuning.

What I am wondering is:

What has happened here?
Can it be reproduced on demand when my reed needs it again?

I may have been lucky and could have destroyed my reed.

What do you think?

David
brianc

Post by brianc »

David,
My guess would be a combination of temperature and humidity changes over that 6-7 month period, and quite possible exacerbated by the changes in that day trip (snow, hiking, followed by a warm cottage).

I've seen the same thing happen over seasonal changes, and the least intrusive fix has been to adjust the bridle slightly... tighter (or down) to close the lips when necessary, and more open (upward) to open them if/when the reed lips have closed down.

Some folks will recommend sanding or shaving the reed some, but if it's worked well in general over that 6-7 month period, understand that sanding & scraping are permanent changes to the reed. Seasonal weather, in the meantime, can always be expected to fluctuate.

I'd try a very slight change in the bridle position, as required.

Good luck.
maw

Post by maw »

David, you could have called in for a cup o' tea :party:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Time Lord Reed....... with the properties of regeneration.
I had one just like that Dave.
Started to play dull and back D went very flat. Took it to scotland and played outside in cold damp atmosphere. sounded even worse.
Took the chanter back home (was temted to throw it in the Loch)
Played like a new reed back in tune and ready for action.
Time Lords! ......... cant' live with em...... :wink:
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royce

Post by Royce »

AlanB wrote:As long as your reed doesn't regenerate with Colin Davison like properties!!!! If so, take a Sonic Screwdriver to it!!

Ben, are you saying, that if our pipes give us trouble we should come round your house??

Alan
I prefer my Colin Baker reeds. Sometimes they go a little Silvester McCoy on me until they finally Pertwee out.

Royce
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Yes it's true. My house is built on lay lines. My home has mystical and curative properties that can heal even the crappiest reed!
That is why I have no need to make reeds :wink: yeah right!
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

AlanB wrote:Ben, are you saying, that if our pipes give us trouble we should come round your house??

Alan
benwalker wrote: Took it to scotland and played outside in cold damp atmosphere. sounded even worse.
Sounds to me more like we should take them to Scotland first for immediate improvement when we get home.

DG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
djm

Post by djm »

ausdag wrote:Sounds to me more like we should take them to Scotland first for immediate improvement when we get home
So, are you saying the best thing about a trip to Scotland is getting back home again? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

well, I've never been to Scotland, nor come back from same, but if Ben's reed's travel experiences are anything to go by, then, well...yes :D
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

I put up a post and go out for a few hours and look what happens!! :)

Bring on Christopher Eccleston, it's about time the role got someone else of Tom Baker's stature.

And I've alway thought Davros would make a mean piper.

By the way, does anyone think putting a reed in the fridge, for say 30mins, may reproduce the regenerative effects of the Derbyshire hills or Scotland.

Or am I seriously heading for Blake's 7 territory.

David
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

You could always give it a go!

Reeds do very weird things when away from their own comfort zone.
Perhaps it realised it wasn't such a bad place to be and started to behave like it should do......... After all it has a fine home snugly fitted into your Williams chanter :)
mirabai
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by mirabai »

Fridges are not only cold but dry; not what you're after I would guess. By the description it sounds like the reed colapsed a bit at the edges from the inherent pressure on the edges and perhaps from drying out. Tweeking the arch of the lips by squeezing them open with lefthand thumb and forefinger while pushing on the middle with left pinky finger nail might do it pouring a teaspoon of water in the bellows and shaking if humidity is the culprit.

Tim
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Thanks to Brian and Tim for their input.

I was hoping to understand what had brought about this change and I will give Tim's suggestions a try.

Not knowing much about reed making the concept of the reed edges collapsing seems an important bit of knowledge to be aware of.

I was once shown how filling your bag with air from your mouth could help a drying reed and the teaspoon of water in the bellows seems a good extension of that.

I also seem to recall a reed that would only play properly after being licked on both side (or was that the piper)!!

The reed massage technique is new to me and definitely seems to make sense. I will be trying it out soon.

David