the joy of coffee

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dapple

Post by dapple »

I just visited http://www.bodumusa.com. They have some nice designs. Thanks for the details, James.
~ David
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I like darker roasts, but Starbucks goes too far - some of my friends refer to them as "Charbucks".

Here in the SF Bay area, I prefer Peet's Coffee - both higher quality beans and a better roast quality. Interestingly, there's a connection - the Starbuck's founders learned coffee working at Peet's before moving to Seattle, and when the founder of Peet's was ready to retire (about 15 years back, I think) one of the Starbuck's founders sold out his interest there and bought Peet's. This is all from memory, which is why I'm a bit vague on specifics like dates, but it all used to be on the Peet's site http://www.peets.com (I just checked again - couldn't find it).

I think part of the problem with Starbucks is that there just aren't enough high quality coffee beans (and varieties) available for the prices they can afford to pay (and still make a profit). Peet's prices are slightly higher (sometimes much higher, for some varieties) but the quality seems consistently higher, too.

I agree with Darwin that if you have the time and skills roasting your own is best, but I rarely have the time. I'm also lucky that my employer stocks our break rooms with Peet's coffee, so I drink a lot if it at work. :D
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

peeplj wrote:We use a Bodlum (sp?) press.
James, is that the Bodum? And is the model the Thermia?

I've been tempted to get a French press, but am pretty hung up on espresso at the moment. When I can't do espresso, I just use a cone filter. Once I get settled, maybe I'll try a Bodum.

I have a couple of ibriks and a Zassenhaus Turkish mill. They're kinda fun, but not really worth the effort to me.

Thank goodness it's not quite as tempting to acquire all sorts of coffee equipment as it is to buy every kind and key of whistle.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Coffee lovers may like to burn their candles at both ends.
Actually, the other end may be healthier
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emmline

Post by emmline »

talasiga wrote:Coffee lovers may like to burn their candles at both ends.
Actually, the other end may be healthier
:party:
Sure. Why not, if needed? But I'm not going to stop drinking it.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Coffee can be an excellent cleanser when used as an enema, Tal, but frankly I'd much rather drink it. :boggle:

:P
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

aderyn_du wrote:Coffee can be an excellent cleanser when used as an enema, Tal, but frankly I'd much rather drink it. :boggle:

:P
We were visiting some friends in New England a year or so ago, and we were staying in what used to be a monastery. There was a couple that kind of were the caretakers of the place, and the wife made coffee each and every morning for this purpose unbeknownst to me. I came in the first morning we were there, and went to get a cup of coffee. She then told me that the coffee wasn't for drinking, but was for her enema instead. I'm just glad that she said something. :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

izzarina wrote:....
We were visiting some friends in New England a year or so ago, and we were staying in what used to be a monastery. There was a couple that kind of were the caretakers of the place, and the wife made coffee each and every morning for this purpose unbeknownst to me. I came in the first morning we were there, and went to get a cup of coffee. She then told me that the coffee wasn't for drinking, but was for her enema instead. I'm just glad that she said something. :P

If you see a litre or more of black, unsweetened coffee in a pot, always ask about it before helping yourself to some.

The same goes for chamomile tea, of course.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:The sensual pleasure of coffee has prevented me from transitioning to tea dependency, which may be more healthful...I take comfort in reports of new studies which suggest coffee has benefits of its own.
Finally somebody who likes coffee did a study. Hopefully somebody who likes rare steak will do a similar study.

I love coffee. Oh Yeah. That first cup is the best.
Conversely, if that first cup is bad for some reason it ruins the whole morning. By "bad" I mean weak. My coffee must be strong. If the light from a normal 60 watt bulb can penetrate the pot, it's far too weak.

Hey Ad, the next time I come down to visit my cousin in Dallas (Georgia), let's get together for some serious coffee. My cousin's a coffee fan too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ours is the Bodlum Chambord 8-cup press.

I also have a cappucino machine packed away somewhere that, although a lot more time consuming, makes wonderful coffees in its own right. But it's also complicated, and hard to clean, and a little intimidating, with all that high-pressure hissing steam--it almost looks and sounds like something from an Alien movie. :o :D

--James
Darwin wrote:
peeplj wrote:We use a Bodlum (sp?) press.
James, is that the Bodum? And is the model the Thermia?

I've been tempted to get a French press, but am pretty hung up on espresso at the moment. When I can't do espresso, I just use a cone filter. Once I get settled, maybe I'll try a Bodum.

I have a couple of ibriks and a Zassenhaus Turkish mill. They're kinda fun, but not really worth the effort to me.

Thank goodness it's not quite as tempting to acquire all sorts of coffee equipment as it is to buy every kind and key of whistle.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'm not a coffee drinker, but Avanutria and I like to spot-count Charbucks when we are out and about in London. We used to compete, but now we co-operate.

Top count in one day was 14 different Starbucks shops. We sometimes count double points if you can see two from one spot, as if crossing the road is too much effort, and other coffee outlets (e.g. Coffee Republic) can score a half point, if we agree in that day's rules.

Oddly, coffee cake in the UK actually contains coffee, and I like coffee cake, but can't drink the stuff. Teacakes don't contain tea though (booo).
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Hey Ad, the next time I come down to visit my cousin in Dallas (Georgia), let's get together for some serious coffee. My cousin's a coffee fan too.
Let's do! That would be fun. :)
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

(Paraphrased!)
Tony wrote:I never got into coffee drinking. One office I worked at had coffee brewing all day and the room always seemed to smell like dirty feet. Again, another reason to stay away. it had a horrible burned taste. Yuck!

My sentiments exactly!!! Ive never been able to figure out why coffee appeals to the greater population of the world. I much prefer a can of Pepsi any time of day (even before, or with breakfast)!!!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

While on this wonderful subject I have a question about the use of a French Press. I have one so I can have coffee at work without buying it. It always comes out kind of cloudy. Is that normal? Am I using it wrong?

I put my coffee in. Put the little screen gizmo in and add water. Then I let it sit for awhile. Sometimes I move the screen up and down to help mix it up.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm