OT: How do you Mic a Bodhran?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

OT: How do you Mic a Bodhran?

Post by clark »

The bodhran player in our band is playing into a Shure SM 58. Now this is a great vocal mic but a terrible percussion mic judging by the sound of her bodhran through it. It is "boomy" and turns her playing to mush. We can find all kinds of percussion/drum mics at Musician Friend etc., but don't have a clue what is likely to work best. Any suggestions?

Clark
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

I would suggest that the 58 is not a bad mic for percussion, it's just that percussion has very particular requirements. You will have to pay much more attention to how your EQ the signal. Find the frequency that is causing the "boom" and attenuate it. It should be somewhere between about 80 and 150Hz or so. Then, find the frequency that contributes to the "click" of the beater and give it a bit of a boost. If you have a parametric EQ on your desk or amp, the best was to do this is to turn up the boost on the EQ and then "sweep" across the frequency range until the desired frequency is heard, then turn down the boost to the required level.

I hope that is clear (although I'm not so sure). Just bear in mind that there are 2 separate frequencies that require to be dealt with is different ways - cut the boom and boost the click!

If all of that fails - shoot the bodhran player and all your worries will disappear :lol:

Cheers

Graham
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I have found that bodrhans tend to be micked.That is often the trouble with them.
David Levine

Over an open fire

Post by David Levine »

They are better roasted over an open fire.
Miking brings out their worst qualities.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
djm

Post by djm »

Get the mic out of the bodhrán to begin with. This should eliminate a lot of the "boominess". Percussion needs space - at least a couple of feet from the mic to the head. You may even find that mic'ing from a distance you now have to boost the signal to bring out the bodhrán in the mix.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
planxtydt
antispam: No

Post by planxtydt »

Always mic the bodhran from the front of the skin, no need to attach any mic with a clip etc. I have played many concerts and recorded many tracks with a standard mic on a stand a few feet away from the skin front, just make sure the tipper doesn't stray!!

David
Joshua Dukes

Post by Joshua Dukes »

I have found that a clip condensor does the trick for me. I like the fact that if I move around while I am playing I get a consitant sound no matter what. Just something to consider. :D