Are you a biter?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
teeisblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are you a biter?

Post by teeisblue »

Okay, I read somewhere that you really shouldn't bite your mouthpice, but this book I got says to hold the mouthpiece with your teeth. That's biting, right? It says you can not bite it if you want, but acts like you're a moron if you don't want your teeth on the whistle. Personally I can't stand to have it between my teeth. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So, does anyone actually play with the mouthpeice in your teeth? How does that work for you? I feel like I don't have enough air or something.

I'm not planning on changing the way I play, I mean not because this one book tells me to, but I was just curious if anyone does play like that. As for me, I'll play however I want, dammit. :wink: [/i]
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Are you a biter?

Post by Wanderer »

teeisblue wrote:Okay, I read somewhere that you really shouldn't bite your mouthpice, but this book I got says to hold the mouthpiece with your teeth. That's biting, right? It says you can not bite it if you want, but acts like you're a moron if you don't want your teeth on the whistle. Personally I can't stand to have it between my teeth. Gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So, does anyone actually play with the mouthpeice in your teeth? How does that work for you? I feel like I don't have enough air or something.

I'm not planning on changing the way I play, I mean not because this one book tells me to, but I was just curious if anyone does play like that. As for me, I'll play however I want, dammit. :wink: [/i]
Most folks don't bite.. I used to, and still have some sweettones with my teeth marks in the mouthpiece. I felt like it gave me better stability with the whistle.

I gave it up when I started playing metal whistles, like the copeland.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Maybe if you don't have lips? :o
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

a gentleman never tells.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The may graze the mouthpiece but never bite it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I think you're right about not having enough air if you bite.I'm pretty sure I use my lips to narrow the airstream more(and that most people do this,too),and you couldn't do that if it were so far back as to be between your teeth.Anybody else noticed this?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I used to bite the mouthpiece all the time but gradually learned not to.

The problem I still have with certain shortish mouthpieces (Dixon and Susato) is that I sometimes seem to get my lips pressed between my teeth and the whistle - it's obviously a stability thing with me and those short beaks... I don't do it so much when I have a thumb-rest fitted.

I've also done that a couple of times with my nickel C Feadog too as it's relatively heavy and tends to slide a bit. A plastic cable tie pulled tight, snipped off short and filed free of sharp corners makes a passable thumb-rest substitute on the Feadog.

Maybe biters could experiment with thumb-rests, stabilising the whistle with the bell-note hole finger or the pinkie - or a combination.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

I play mostly short beaked whistles, so biting really hasn't been an option for me.

I've got a thumbrest for my Susato, but it always seemed to be in the way, so I took it off. Since then, I've learned to stabilize the whistle with the pinkie. It was uncomfortable at first, but now it's become second nature.
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Count me as another one who keeps the mouthpiece between my lips. I find that pursing my lips can change the amount of backpressure and gives me more control over the sound. Of cours, I look like I just bit into a lemon.

I do use the ring finger on my bottom hand to balance the whistle. The only whistle I own where I have to use my pinkie is a Susato. The rest don't have any change in tone if the bottom hole is covered or not when I'm playing a B or C.
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I used to, but would rather punch myself in the face than put bite marks into the mouthpiece of my Burke.
emmline

Post by emmline »

well...not of whistles...
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

emmline wrote:well...not of whistles...
So I've heard...

:wink:
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Of whistles and biting and maybe a solution

Post by demon_piper »

Another thought on this is a bagpiper's solution to biting, I do bite my bagpipe mouth piece, but since I've gotten my Copeland Sterling Silver whistles, I haven't been biting whistles! However, what you can do if your whistle headjoint shape allows is to cut a piece of surgical tubing (available at medical supply stores) and put it on the headjoint, just make sure its nice and tight, this stops scratching and may help to allay any spreading (some people have said this of bagpipe mouthpieces) of your teeth, its also a bit more comfortable than hard plastic to have your teeth against.

Slainte mhath

Mark
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wanderer wrote:
emmline wrote:well...not of whistles...
So I've heard...

:wink:
Damnitall. I really try to keep that in the closet.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Every time that I read the topic title I read it as "Are you bitter?" and I think, "no, I try not to be." As for whistles, "no, I don't bite." :)

Erik