A question of spit

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A question of spit

Post by Redwolf »

No, this isn't yet another post on whistle condensation. I'm wondering if anyone else out there experiences an uncomfortable build up of saliva in the mouth when playing a long set. This is starting to drive me crazy when I'm playing for the Morris kids...by the third time through the tune, I'm desperate to either spit or swallow and, since I'm the only musician, I can't take a discreet "break" to take care of the problem. I tried today to throw in an extra "breath" pause to take care of things, but found I can't swallow fast enough...in short, I started choking and that brought things to a rather ignominious halt.

Please tell me I'm not the only one this happens to!

Redwolf the salivatious :oops:
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Danner »

It happens to me plenty. I think that it's the worst on faster pieces on whistle. Sometimes it happens to me during a (Boehm) flute etude, but that's usually when I'm trying to work through something and I'm not paying attention to my breath.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

It happens to me, too. If I make a very conscious effort to swallow everything in my mouth before I start, though, it doesn't seem to happen, or hasn't yet. It seems to happen only whan I'm not conscious beforehand of whether I've got a build up of saliva in my mouth. So I think starting out as dry as possible helps.
Love...Serve...Remember
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I'm glad to know it's not just me! I'll try giving an extra swallow before starting a set next time.

Redwolf
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

It happens to me and I'm convinced its a Pavlovian response to me playing the saxophone before and trying to keep the reed wet....or just that my mouth is a wet place....either one....you decide...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

michael_coleman wrote:... I'm convinced its a Pavlovian response ...
Could very well be. Putting an object in your mouth will trigger salivation. I've found that I salivate more if I put the fipple further in my mouth. If I barely rest the fipple on my lips, I don't salivate much at all. Unless I can smell the cookies my wife is baking. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've had this happen, too. I think that probably most whistlers have at least occasionally.

I've found different whistles cause saliva to build up at different rates, I think maybe because of the shape of the mouthpiece, or of how much of it actually goes between your lips.

Also I think when you are very nervous, as in playing in public or even onstage, you will tend to either have a very dry mouth or to salivate like crazy.

Things that help avoid this for me is to grip the whistle with the lips only moderately tightly, not to put too much of the fipple between my lips, and to try to stay relaxed and focus my mind on the music I'm playing.

--James
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

For me, it's all linked to how recently I've eaten. You know those times when you get together with friends, and all the mandolin and guitar and fiddle players keep getting up to graze, then sit down to join in again as soon as the tune changes? Me, I start on a snack or a sip of something, and invariably the next tune is one I really like and want to play. Then it's spit city. NOT FAIR! :x

No solutions from me. Just quit putting other things in my mouth.

Jennie
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Whenever I play, I just think of pickles..

oh wait, that doesn't help ;)
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

I have this problem as well but when I think to dry my mouth before playing it only induces saliva production, go figure. Either that or I notice it more because it is on my mind.

The best cure I've come up with is choking in the middle of a tune. :P
-Kevin
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I have more trouble with this if I hold the whistle more vertically. If I hold it out straight, I almost never have a problem with saliva. Also, the puddle has to get deeper to hit the airway.
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Try putting a teaspoon of kitty litter (unused, of course) under your tongue before playing. :P
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Darwin wrote:Try putting a teaspoon of kitty litter (unused, of course) under your tongue before playing. :P
I just tried this based upon your professional advice, Mister Wright. Please note that your attorney will be hearing from my attorney shortly. :moreevil:

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Darwin wrote:Try putting a teaspoon of kitty litter (unused, of course) under your tongue before playing. :P
Oh, the kids would LOOOOVE that! :lol: Gives a whole new meaning to "potty mouth"!

Redwolf
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Take up pot smoking. That'll dry the old mucus membranes.

this message is intended for entertainment only. Flying Cursor is not intending to encourage illegal activity. "Pot" is illegal and evil and people who smoke it are going to prison and then to hell.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm