ADVISE DALE HERE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Paul wrote: (now on-topic) It is not often that a thread gets locked or deleted here. I am sure that Dale gives a lot of thought before he actually locks a thread. He would never do it arbitrarily and it's obvious that he takes it seriously, and weighs the consequences before doing it. If that weren't the case, he would probably lock a bunch more. In this particular case, he even encouraged Andrew to renew his offer. It doesn't get any fairer than that, IMO.

Best,
Paul
IMO-2.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Paul wrote:
Will O'B wrote:
izzarina wrote:I have a POSITIVE criticism....Dale, I don't think it would be wise for you to wear that yellow polka dot tie with your purple smoking jacket. It's really tacky

:wink:
Hey!!! Now you're insulting me. That ever so cool tie and awesome smoking jacket were Christmas presents from yours ever so humble (i.e. me). I figured Dale could use a boost to his wardrobe . . . I mean you can wear a coonskin cap for just so long before it becomes outdated.

Will O'Ban
Will, she's only saying that because SHE wants to wear it. It's actually quite fetching. :lol:
Paul!!! You weren't supposed to SAY that!!! Sheesh...now I"ll never get Dale's new jacket/tie combo! :P

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Advice?

Post by I.D.10-t »

I wish that there were some other form of moderation that was less intrusive. More like a warning sign. I know that I have said some stupid and off topic things, but unless some one posts under me or emails me that I am out of line then I will never know. In conversations if I am off subject, a look or silence is often a quick show of my lack of social graces. This does not further distract from the conversation by taking more time to comment on my transgression. Something like Amazon reviews on books have a “was this helpful to you,” five star system. (I just want five smiley faces next to my comments)

I think that one of the problems of this medium is that people are allowed to stray further and further into obscenity because there is no feedback. If there is only one line to cross, I know that I will eventually stray closer and closer to it.

Mostly I would like this to help ME to be a better poster and provide better content.

It is far too easy for me to be a backseat driver and give advice that wasn’t asked for to a person that has provided a form that I consider a valuable resource. So, thank you, and take this with a grain of salt. You obviously know more about these things than I do (It took me several weeks just to figure out what an avatar was and longer to get the picture thing to work)

Last I would like to add that I would like to see the website background purple for one day (no reason, I just like purple)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

talasiga wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:.......

...I usually have a vast, steaming mug of coffee and a couple of smokes....

How's that? Did I do it right? Did I do it right? :)
Once the smoke clears you will see you are in the wrong topic ......
Silly Boy!
Dang it, dang it, dang it, dang it, dang it dangit...
Montana

Post by Montana »

All you guys are overlooking this fine opportunity!
My advise to Dale:
Give away many FREE whistles! :party:
Paul

Post by Paul »

izzarina wrote:Paul!!! You weren't supposed to SAY that!!! Sheesh...now I"ll never get Dale's new jacket/tie combo! :P

:lol:
I don't know, Izz... 785 posts... It's almost time for your smoking jacket and all that. Once you hit a thousand maybe Dale will remember you like that one and fork it over. I never did get one. :moreevil: :P
talasiga

Re: Advice?

Post by talasiga »

I.D.10-t wrote:I wish that there were some other form of moderation that was less intrusive. More like a warning sign. I know that I have said some stupid and off topic things, but unless some one posts under me or emails me that I am out of line then I will never know. In conversations if I am off subject, a look or silence is often a quick show of my lack of social graces. This does not further distract from the conversation by taking more time to comment on my transgression. Something like Amazon reviews on books have a “was this helpful to you,” five star system. (I just want five smiley faces next to my comments)

I think that one of the problems of this medium is that people are allowed to stray further and further into obscenity because there is no feedback. If there is only one line to cross, I know that I will eventually stray closer and closer to it.

Mostly I would like this to help ME to be a better poster and provide better content.

It is far too easy for me to be a backseat driver and give advice that wasn’t asked for to a person that has provided a form that I consider a valuable resource. So, thank you, and take this with a grain of salt. You obviously know more about these things than I do (It took me several weeks just to figure out what an avatar was and longer to get the picture thing to work)

Last I would like to add that I would like to see the website background purple for one day (no reason, I just like purple)
A commendable post worthy of this topic's intention. A lotus in a mudpool .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

All you guys are overlooking this fine opportunity!
My advise to Dale:
Give away many FREE whistles! party

I think Montana's got the the right idea. :D

-Mike
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Mmmmmmmm, purple.

Yes, please.

Best wishes,
Jerry

(Who would like to post a poll?)
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't find the moderation intrusive. Topic locking seems to be a rather rare occurrence, in fact. There are forums of various sorts which are either vastly more restrictive (eg...no posting in languages other than English,) and forums that seem to be nothing but places for foul-mouthed(fingered) folk of adolescent mind-sets to sound off.
All topics which I've seen locked since Fall '03, when I started hanging out here, were rapidly spinning down the tubes and inviting further unpleasantness.
I don't see a viable alternative to the method currently in practice.
talasiga

emmline's epigraph

Post by talasiga »

I have no quarrel with Dale's present method of putting out fires.
emmline wrote:
I don't find the moderation intrusive. Topic locking seems to be a rather rare occurrence, in fact. There are forums of various sorts which are either vastly more restrictive (eg...no posting in languages other than English,) and forums that seem to be nothing but places for foul-mouthed(fingered) folk of adolescent mind-sets to sound off.
All topics which I've seen locked since Fall '03, when I started hanging out here, were rapidly spinning down the tubes and inviting further unpleasantness.
I don't see a viable alternative to the method currently in practice.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emmline

Post by emmline »

what?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:what?
hmm...I thought it was just me :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

No. not just you. Tal was being teacherly, but I was too thick to catch on.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I never join in these debates. Probably because I haven't met any of you yet, and also because I'm always very very slow to see anyone's negative side. But here's a comment anyhow.

I have a friend up the road who gathers people from all ages, all skill levels, and all political viewpoints to play and sing and play at her house. And she welcomes everyone so warmly and genuinely that the music transcends what I recognize only later as major differences. She makes it fun, redirects peoples' focus to what they all love, and I always come away feeling buoyed up by the music and the common sense of beauty.

This little community seems to do that. (Most of the time...) Thanks, Dale, for being a presence to remind us what we're here for. Or what we're not.

Jennie