Tam Lin / Glasgow Reel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tam Lin / Glasgow Reel

Post by trisha »

OK folks, I've given it my best shot..three recordings (none with wind instruments), three print outs - all in Dm and all markedly different. All I want to do is play this reel in Am (or D minor in the company of diehard fiddlers who just have to start in Dm.

Is there a flute/whistle recording out there somewhere? What version is the most popular? The two fiddlers I know who play it play very different interpretations. One has even had his version mixed up with Drowsie Maggie :roll: .

Trisha
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hmmm... this is one of our favorites... I'l do some digging...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm with you on the confusion. There's been many a tune that I've found with two different names in Irish music but this tune is one (I think because it was written fairly recently) where people seem to play it so many different ways. I found a written rendition of it on TheSession website; maybe that's where you found it.
Gaelic Storm does a rendition of it on their first self-named album, Gaelic Storm. I've found a couple more recordings done by more obscure (contradance) bands. One of these versions left a lot of the notes out; the melody was there but it was very empty.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I just use Norbecks for TamLin. Many play it in Dminor, so I think you need to use a C whistle. My former band played it in two keys so I had to modulate up. Gets kinda screechy up top.

If you need dots, I think Norbeck continues to be the most useful. He often includes a disc reference in the ABC info, like what record it came off of, so that might help too.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?