Maire=? correct pronounciation

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
teeisblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Maire=? correct pronounciation

Post by teeisblue »

So, so, so off topic, but I was wondering...

The Irish name 'Maire' is pronounced how? I'm asking because many of you may be familiar with the correct pronunciation.

Anyway, is it 'moy-rah' or 'mwah-rah'? Does the first syllable rhyme with 'boy', or is it like saying 'moi' in French?
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
brianc

Re: OT: Maire=? correct pronounciation

Post by brianc »

teeisblue wrote:So, so, so off topic, but I was wondering...

The Irish name 'Maire' is pronounced how? I'm asking because many of you may be familiar with the correct pronunciation.

Anyway, is it 'moy-rah' or 'mwah-rah'? Does the first syllable rhyme with 'boy', or is it like saying 'moi' in French?
Sort of both, really.

Maw-RUH.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

As was told to me by a native speaker here in Utah, there is a subtle but distinct difference in how you would pronounce Máire as someone's name, and Máire in reference to the blessed virgin. Sadly, I can't remember now what the difference was....but it was there.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Scottish name 'Moira' is pronounced as you would expect from the spelling: moy-ra (with a short 'a'.) I believe 'Maire' is a close relative of 'Moira.'
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

The Scottish name 'Moira' is pronounced as you would expect from the spelling: moy-ra (with a short 'a'.) I believe 'Maire' is a close relative of 'Moira.'

That's what I kept reading, but I didn't know if it was pronounced as Moira, seeing as how it's spelled very differently. Not that it matters how anything looks in Gaelic. Zcomter is pronounced as 'Bob' I believe...
I think I like the 'maw-rah' one best. Personally, I thought it was just like it's spelled, 'maire', like a female horse with a bit of throat clearing at the end. Shows how much I know.

But I live in America, so I could say it however I want and no one would know the difference. Or care. :D
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

teeisblue wrote:But I live in America, so I could say it however I want and no one would know the difference. Or care. :D
....except maybe my New Jersey-based co-worker Maire (whose name is continually being misspelled as "Marie"). By her lilting accent, I'll accept her assertion that it's MY-ra. Sometimes I can hear a little bit of dipthong--Ma-I-ra.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Brian Lee wrote:As was told to me by a native speaker here in Utah, there is a subtle but distinct difference in how you would pronounce Máire as someone's name, and Máire in reference to the blessed virgin. Sadly, I can't remember now what the difference was....but it was there.
"Mary" as in the Virgin Mary is spelled "Muire" and pronounced something like "MWIR-eh." "Maire" is used for the ordinary name "Mary," and the pronunciation can vary by region and dialect: I've heard "MOY-uh," "MAH-ir-eh" and even something akin to "MY-ra."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Moira would already be an Anglicisation of the Scottish Gaelic form of this name. An Irish born friend once told me that there are a variety of pronunciations and a variety of spellings for the Irish version(s).
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

Oh. So I really could pronounce it however I want. Thanks. I was just kidding about that.

Thanks all.

Tara
Jean Baptiste Montegut
brianc

Post by brianc »

Brian Lee wrote:As was told to me by a native speaker here in Utah,...

Resisting.... resisting.... don't say it, DON'T say it.... :o
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I should think it would be pronounced in different ways in different parts of Ireland in the same way that "Mary" would be different depending on the accent of the speaker in Britain or America.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
brianc

Post by brianc »

True enough, John.
In Connemara, it would be pronounced as I attempted to phonetically spell it, above -- but more as though the speaker had a mouth full of hot potatoes.... "Maww-RUH"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

brianc wrote:True enough, John.
In Connemara, it would be pronounced as I attempted to phonetically spell it, above -- but more as though the speaker had a mouth full of hot potatoes.... "Maww-RUH"
Small potatoes..I'd think.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Totally off topic: the other day I heard someone refer to Scoil Mhuire, Mary Immaculate College, a large secondary school for girls in Limerick as 'The Virgin Megastore' :P
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

Wombat wrote:Moira would already be an Anglicisation of the Scottish Gaelic form of this name.
So how do they spell it in Scottish Gaelic?