I know we all hate this, but....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I know we all hate this, but....

Post by Danner »

What low D should I get? :oops:

Okay, here's my story. I really need/want a low D, but I really don't have a lot of money. (I'm 13, so the only job I can get is as church musician. I don't think my parents will help either.) So, I can't just keep buying whistles until I find something I like. There's no way I can go try any out either. :sniffle: I could really use some help. Here are the qualifications for said whistle (in order of priority):
1. Loud or at least something that can cut through large groups (I'm talking keeping up with 5 fiddles-possibly even more, 4 harps, a mandolin, and a bodhran)
2. A quality whistle that will grow with me and won't have to be upgraded in like 2 weeks, but will still be easy for a beginner on lows
3. I think I should be okay with finger spacing, but I don't want something that's too huge
4. I'd like something that's as easy to play jigs and reels on as airs.

-Type of whistle doesn't really matter to me. (I'm pretty sure I don't want a Susato though.) I like the clear Burke kind of sound, the breathy Clarke sound, the trad Gen sound- I like whistles, I don't want anything that sounds like a reco****.
-I don't think breath requirements really will matter either.
-I like metal whistles, but anything's fine.

Thank you to anyone who gives me real advice instead of sending me to the C&F hall of shame for asking advice on whistle buying. I hope someone can think of something (hopefully under $200) that fits at least most of these criteria. Again, I'm really sorry for bringing this up once again, but I really could use some help.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Alba is probaly the way to go, go to http://www.gaeliccrossings.com they have a good selection of Albas I would suggest getting something tunable I had my high D Alba at a Session last week 4 fiddlers, 4 bodhrans, 3 Flutes, Box, Concertina, 1 Guitar, and about 5 other whistlers using mostly Burkes and one had an old Gen the point is I could hear myself over all of this. I have never tryed their low whistles but their high whistles are superb it won't cost over $120 it is Brushed aluminum they look and sound great. :D

I know the situation you are in yuong no job no money and have Whoa and your parents say stuff like "Why do you need more Whistles?" in fact it was me until I got a job last year if you are wondering I myself will turn 16 this month. I can say I am really happy my parents helped in buying my Great Highland Bagpipes of course I have to pay them back but still.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I had a Burke composite low D that sounded very nice and had good volume. If I was not so hooked on my Overton and Bleazey low D's I would have kept it.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Get a New Range Chieftain Low D - you can buy them directly from Phil Hardy's website. www.kerrywhistles.com

Magnificent instruments - they'll definitely fit the bill!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'd recommend an Overton if you can afford one or find one second hand at a good price. There are other good instruments at or around that price but they are truly exceptional value. I predict that you might buy other low Ds later but you will never want to sell your Overton.

I honestly don't think that you can find one that will be audible in a large ensemble without amplification. (It's not just a matter of being able to hear yourself, you would want other people to be able to hear you.)
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I agree with the Cheiftain New Range. Howard will also meet your needs.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I think the Alba and the Chieftain New Range both will probably fit the bill here.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

A low D that will keep up with 5 fiddles and an assortment of other instruments? Sorry, I just don't think it can be done. Low whistles are by nature on the quiet side of things.

Now, a flute, on the other hand... :-)
Henke

Post by Henke »

I second what Jens said. I do love low whistles too but I haven't found one with that much volume. If you want to play Tenor loud you'd best go with a wooden flute. A flute is harder to learn but when you get the hang of it they are alot more expressive that a low whistle. You might want to check out the flute Andrew is selling, I'm sure it's great value and will serve well for lots of years.

If you really want a Low whistle anyway, I think Alba or Chieftain would be your best bet too. I have a Chieftain low D which I like and I've tried out several Alba's and they are all very nice.
Phil Hardy

Hey Danner.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Your troubles are over ,just send me your postal address and I'll send you over something nice.

Don't worry about money,just play it loads.

phil@kerrywhistles.com

Al the beast

mgPhiol.(Phil Hardy)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

save up for a copeland low D it's as loud as a flute, have a listen http://www.greylarsen.com/store/tinwhistles_samples.php
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lixnaw wrote:save up for a copeland low D it's as loud as a flute, have a listen http://www.greylarsen.com/store/tinwhistles_samples.php
No it isn't, at least not to my ears. Copelands are deceptive; they sound louder than they really are because they have such tonal richness, ditto Overtons. But just play one for a bit and then pick up and play a D flute and you'll hear a clear increase in volume, at least you will if you can fill the flute.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Wombat wrote:
lixnaw wrote:save up for a copeland low D it's as loud as a flute, have a listen http://www.greylarsen.com/store/tinwhistles_samples.php
No it isn't, at least not to my ears. Copelands are deceptive; they sound louder than they really are because they have such tonal richness, ditto Overtons. But just play one for a bit and then pick up and play a D flute and you'll hear a clear increase in volume, at least you will if you can fill the flute.
you could be right there. but imho they're the loudest whistles anyway.
the flute is much harder to learn, it don't suite me at all.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lixnaw wrote:
Wombat wrote:
you could be right there. but imho they're the loudest whistles anyway.
the flute is much harder to learn, it don't suite me at all.
I used to believe that too until a group of people here persuaded me that it was an illusion. I had Overton and Copleland low Gs handy so I just played them one after the other. The Copeland seemed to be just a little louder but there wasn't much in it.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Anyway, seems the problem is solved now that Phil Hardy is such an unbelievably nice chapp. I'm positive Danner won't go wrong with the Chieftain whistle. I like mine much better than probably all other low whistles I've tried out, including Overton.