Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've just read that the death toll is up to 150,000. The city where I grew up, Duluth Minnesota, is about 65-70,000. Just like that, my city, it's people (and more) vanishes from the face of the earth. It's humbling.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Has anyone heard if any of the OPEC states are donating to disaster relief? All I've read about have been Europe, the U.S. and Japan. The oil producing states are some of the richest countries in the world...surely they're going to help out here as well (?)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Something on CNN said Saudi Arabia had pledged $10 million. I don't know if this is accurate and up to date, though.

Robin
Dale
The Landlord

What 150,000 is.

Post by Dale »

dubhlinn

Re: What 150,000 is.

Post by dubhlinn »

DaleWisely wrote:Here's what 150,000 is:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/toll.html
Now that is something.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Well, for me this thread was good for something (trying not to comment on the "US does enough, what about other countries?" debate). For the first time in my life, I made a donation (through Oxfam Canada). I had the feeling I didnt even have the right to have an opinion on all of this without actually giving money first. It's amazing though how easy it is to be disconnected from things, and how easy it is also to help. All it takes is a credit card, a computer and an internet connection, and in 10 seconds you can make a donation.

What's great also is that Canada pledged dollar for dollar donation with public donation, so for every dollar that we canadian citizens give, the government is going to give one dollar (until janury 11th I think). So our contribution is actually doubled (in theory).

Also, I kinda feel uneasy about the whole devastation thing. Yesterday a bunch of us had dinner, and there was so much food we were all stuffed and almost unable to walk. Then we had many, many drink and went out partying. The fee for getting into the club was like 15$, and while we were waiting outside, there was a long queue, a girl walked along the queue and was asking for money for the asian crisis. I don't think anyone gave anything, and then we all paid 15$ to get in and then 6-7$ a drink. The band on stage didnt ask for a minute of silence or anything. When I think of it, I feel like it's just wrong. I'm not complaining about others, I was just part of this.

Anyway, interesting stuff to think about!
blackhawk

Re: What 150,000 is.

Post by blackhawk »

DaleWisely wrote:Here's what 150,000 is:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/toll.html
Well said, Dale. :cry:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I think Joseph hit on the easiest way to envision it - compare it to a city that you know well.

The city I grew up near (Redding, CA) has a population of around 85,000 even now - more like 60,000 when I was a kid. And this single event has killed enough people to fill two cities like Redding.

When the news first came in, my wife and I looked at each other and immediately decided to donate, though as the extent of the damage began to sink in we upped the amount. Not that it can make up for the damage, but it can at least help the survivors.

Azalin is right - even if we send a sizeable donation, it's relatively trivial beside the amount most of us spend in a year for dining out, entertainment, or - yes - whistles. I won't feel guilty for being alive or having a comfortable life, but I *would* feel guilty if I didn't help out when I can.

And it's amazingly easy to donate through Amazon (goes through the US Red Cross) - when I checked the link just now the cumulative total was $11,239,612.95 with about 140,000 individual contributions. Folks, if you can afford it, please help. You'll be glad you did.
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

I've heard a lot about giving cash donations but if you cannot afford it and would still like to help, check with your local community.

There is likely a fundraiser or two that would be glad to have you volunteer.
-Kevin
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wombat wrote:A disaster of unimaginable proportions happens to countries bordering the Indian ocean. ... To put it as kindly as I can, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to understand how anybody could regard these matters as appropriate for raising at this time.

Let's turn to a few things that matter. It is important to ask where your money is going when deciding on charities, not because otherwise someone who doesn't share your ideology might be dispensing it but because the amounts that get dispensed vary and the effectiveness of the areas targetted varies. ...

There are really three different waves of aid that will be needed. First, there is the highly visible matter of getting immediate food, drinking water, blankets and medicines to the affected areas. Without medicines more people might die from disease than died from the initial inundation. Second, there is the medium term problem of rebuilding the areas hit. Not only do houses need rebuilding but economies. Finally, there is the long term problem of looking after orphans and the physically and economically crippled. No country has a system in place for coping with the long term social consequences of a disaster like this.
Well said, Wombat... nt
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Apparently there is now a Volcano waking from Dormancy: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 02,00.html
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There is now a story that a leading Thai expert
realized the tsunami was coming and tried
to call the government to issue a warning, but nobody
would take the call. He says that he had already
told the government of the danger of such
a catastrophe but was dismissed as a
nut who wanted to ruin the tourist
industry.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The story was actually around last week (in European papers and, if I remember well, Irish tv news) when Thai officals admitted 'toning down' the warning not to upset tourism in the region. An appropriate warning was sent out but by the time it had made it's way through official channels it was made to sound nothing much was going to happen. The underlying thought was that if a warning was sent and nothing happened 'tourism in the area would be ruined'.
Last edited by Cayden on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianc

Post by brianc »

You know what I wonder?

I wonder how much would have been donated by other countries had this same horrific natural disaster occured in the USA?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Post not wanted.
Last edited by susnfx on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.