Sweetheart Flute Offer Post Deleted

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My 2 cents is that America bashing is bad for
business, but I don't mind it terribly.
I do appreciate that others do, of course,
but I wouldn't want a thread deleted simply for
America bashing. The generic observation
that Americans are typically ...........fill in the blanks,
is uncivil and shooting from the hip with a
shotgun, but it is nowhere written that
one must take it seriously. I've ignored
it for years.

Personal abuse directed at particular individuals
is, for me, unacceptable.

By the way we do have the political thread, above,
where America bashing can go.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sorry, a memory:

I was a Fulbright Teaching Fellow, talking to Indian Marxist
intellectuals in the garden of the faculty club
at the University of Rajisthan in Jaipur.

They were explaining to me that Americans
are rich capitalists who have everything done
for them by machines or servants.

There were waiters serving us, a gardener pulling
weeds, and, on the street outside, people were
pushing carts along.

Looking about I observed that I had done all of these jobs:
I had worked as a waiter, I had worked for
years as a gardener, and, as a boy, I had pushed
carts through the streets of New York City.

When I looked back at the Marxist intellectuals
they were staring at me with revulsion and disgust:

that a PROFESSOR should work with his HANDS!
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

I've lived outside the USA. It is really interesting to see other cultures viewpoints of us. Much of this is based on our media, and our trashy television entertainment. Some of their viewpoints are correct, and some are way off.

Jim, I agree with you, that it's also interesting to see the caste system inherent in some other cultures. This worldview can be transferred to how they view us: We must be all filthy rich jet-setters, with servants and so forth. What many don't realize is that lots of us so-called "filthy rich" Americans are the servants.

As a gigging musician, I'm pretty much accustomed to being directed to the back or the side door. :P

Dana
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Very true Dana! When my father and I travelled to Mexico to stay with my aunt in the 80's, the people there were shocked to learn that we were poor. When we told them we lived in a creaky, drafty old house, with only one woodstove, no hot running water and an outhouse, and that my clothes were purchased at the Salvation Army, they just about had heart attacks. They thought we all lived lives like sitcom families, or Dynasty.
Corin
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Is HE still at it? Wow. Unbelievable.

Still no reason to come back.

Oh well....I guess no one needs me to say "I told you so."
Sad.

Happy New Year and good music to all who really do care.

Bye.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Wanna buy a flute?
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

DM is back? I'm makin' popcorn and watching this.

Cheers,
Aaron
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I hesitate jumping into this, but here goes, for what is worth. I don't have the solution to the resolution of our differences (if any) to the geopolitical problems of the world, but I offer this proposal to find a good home for Andrew's Sweet rosewood flute, the value of which he wants to donate to aid disaster victims.

Here is my solution. First, Andrew, give the flute to a deserving person, maybe a beginner, there in the UK, thus saving on postage, which is quite high from the UK to the USA. Then, collectively, the members of the whistle and flute forums will donate additional amounts to our chosen charities for disaster relief in your name. I will pledge $20 in addition to what I have already given, and it should be easy to arrive at the sum that you had quoted for the flute. We would trust you to give the flute away, and you would trust participants to honor our pleges in your name.

I think that Ralph Sweet would be pleased with this solution. Andrew, you would have one less flute in your inventory. A derserving person would have a nice flute to learn on. Participants would have an opportunity to increase our charitible giving, and, hopefully, we wouldn't have to hear any more about this flute in the future.

What do you say to this proposal, Andrew?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm with Doug, and if anyone wants to do the same for the less-heralded several whistles I've had listed for most of a week on the Whistle board for the same cause, I'm game.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I hesitate jumping into this, but here goes, for what is worth. I don't have the solution to the resolution of our differences (if any) to the geopolitical problems of the world, but I offer this proposal to find a good home for Andrew's Sweet rosewood flute, the value of which he wants to donate to aid disaster victims.

Here is my solution. First, Andrew, give the flute to a deserving person, maybe a beginner, there in the UK, thus saving on postage, which is quite high from the UK to the USA. Then, collectively, the members of the whistle and flute forums will donate additional amounts to our chosen charities for disaster relief in your name. I will pledge $20 in addition to what I have already given, and it should be easy to arrive at the sum that you had quoted for the flute. We would trust you to give the flute away, and you would trust participants to honor our pleges in your name.

I think that Ralph Sweet would be pleased with this solution. Andrew, you would have one less flute in your inventory. A derserving person would have a nice flute to learn on. Participants would have an opportunity to increase our charitible giving, and, hopefully, we wouldn't have to hear any more about this flute in the future.

What do you say to this proposal, Andrew?
*ahhh*
My Hero.....

Mary :)
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

The idea is to benefit families living in mud with nothing, not to sponsor some beginner who isn't willing even to pay a very low price for the flute.
Not that the flute is necessarily just a beginner's instrument.
l hope that you are all giving what you can in any case.
The postage will be pretty low, I imagine, the flute being light. I shall check, and probably cover it myself, depending on where a purchaser might be found.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

andrew what about American customs?
I think it's 6 percent of the flute's price.
Avoidable?
Well, it's not much, really. Still a very good deal.
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

Andrew is still at the old game. It's been 3 months since some of us left the board for happier hunting grounds. There were a few that defended Andrew before. I can't believe that there's still anyone around here who would give him the time of day. (Jim and David) You all are some seriously long suffering people. I commend you for that. As I was telling Dave last night. At least Porridge was entertaining along with his vitriol. Andrew isn't even that. Andrew please try and spice up your tripe with a humorous ancedote here and there. It would make for a better read.

Anyway, to the rest of you a Happy New Year. Maybe we'll catch up at East Durham this summer.
eilam

Post by eilam »

there is no tax on a flutes made in the States, but It should say so on the box.
David Levine

Missing...

Post by David Levine »

It is with great relief these past few months to have been without Lambert and Migoya. I don't miss them one bit. I regret their return. Better to have Andrew excite and annoy us than never to have him prick our collective conscience.
Notice how moderately the current disgreements we have with Andrew have been handled. No, I do not miss the vituperation from Lambert and Migoya.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.