Info overload on first flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Info overload on first flute

Post by dwinterfield »

I need help.

I've been playing the whistle for a little more than a year. I like it, am getting steadily better and have whistles by Burke, Busman, Sweetone, Hoover white caps, Overton (low D), Susato etc. I decided several months ago that I'd like to try a flute. I’ve been researching, looking at past C&F postings, going through the makers directories on the various web sites etc. I’m taking most of the advice I hear. Maybe that's the problem! Weeks ago, I e-mailed Pat Olwell and Tall Grass winds about a bamboo flute - no response. I was the e-bay underbidder on a Hammy Hamilton flute. I saw Jessie sell some flutes and almost went for one of the Sam Murrays but hesitated too long. I’ve looked at the sites for McGee, Noy, Healy, M&E, Seery, Burns, Sweet etc. Now I have too much information.
Here’s what I think I’ve learned.
 It should be wood
 I like darker colored instruments
 It should have a tuning slide.
 I like straighter sided instruments, rather than curved or baroque looking.
 Keyless is the best place to start.
 If not new, it should be in very fine condition.
 Quieter is better than louder.
 It should be available in no more than a month or two.
 It doesn’t need to be perfect. One measure of success would be playing it long and well enough to want to upgrade.

It should be moderately priced, that is under $1000. The less the better. Most of all, it should be easily playable and quickly rewarding to a middle-aged beginner. I’m not a “natural” but I am persistent. The flutes that some describe as it took me three months to get a tone would not be good.

How do I get out of the info overload? Dithering needs to become action! Any suggestions? Am I wrong about some of the things I think I learned? Thanks in advance.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave Copley flutes might do the job.
The price is well under 1000, there is
a tuning slide, the waiting period
was,when last I checked, four months,
which isn't as short as you might like
but is pretty good for what you are
after. Dave's flutes have good volume,
but I don't suppose you would mind
that in the long term. Easy to play
but they get deeper as you
improve. Dave
is very nice to work with.
If interested do a google
search on Dave Copley flutes.

P. S. these can be retrofitted with keys.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I hesitate to chime in since I just drop in from the whistle forum now and then, but I'll offer you a few random thoughts of my own.

Ralph Sweet isn't too far away for you to go visit, have a chat, and see if you like what his shop produces. As I've said elsewhere, Ralph's a heckuva nice guy and I enjoy dancing with him when I get up into that area.

And you're in BOSTON, for pete's sake--aren't there some sessions you could stop in to and ask folks how they like their flutes?

There are folk festivals and workshops just about all over the place and if you're more well-heeled than I am, you might look into attending Boxwood this year (Chris Norman's camp). There are a couple of festivals in driving distance of my home, so I suspect there are even more opportunities up where you are. If you're lucky, you'll get to hold some nice flutes and there have got to be careless people like me who let other folks play their instruments.

I've just recently gotten a Casey Burns Folk Flute (small hands version), but primarily because I could never make the reach on a regular Irish flute and wanted to see if this one would work for me (I'm still training my fingers on where the holes are, but making progress). It doesn't sound like you have a problem with reach, so I bet you've got a lot of fun research ahead of you.

Best of luck!
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You might check with Phil Bleazey. His has all the characteristics you're looking for. I found his Rudall-style flute very easy to start on, and even with an Olwell in the stable, I still play the Bleazey a lot. Last I knew they were under $500 (depends on the Pound), and they're available in mopane or blackwood, usually a few in stock, too.

His website is www.bleazey.co.uk
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sboag

Post by sboag »

mvhplank wrote:And you're in BOSTON, for pete's sake--aren't there some sessions you could stop in to and ask folks how they like their flutes?
Yeah, go to the Green Briar in Brighton tonight or any Monday night, slow session starts at 7:00, fast session at 9:00.

-scott
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Hi:

I'd recommend the Copley. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. At that time, the waiting list was only 3 weeks. It's a wonderful flute and is well within what you've budgeted.

Deb
Peach

Post by Peach »

Here's another one for you to consider.
www.skiphealy.com

His keyless African blackwood would meet *all* of your criteria!

After I bought my first Healy flute (I have 2 now) I realized that his flutes were "it" for me, and I've never considered getting another kind!(of course, thats just my choice)

Skip's shop is in RI, so that isn't too far to drive to check out whats available and get a tour of the shop.

Good luck!

Peach
Jonathan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Hello!
I just got a blackwood flute from Casey Burns, and it's fabulous!! He's excellent to deal with too. Very good customer service. I believe you can get a keyless blackwood flute w/ tuning slide from him for slightly under $1000. The wait is about 2 months or so, which ain't too bad. Later!!