Woo! Hoo! Just ordered my first whistles...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
teeisblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Woo! Hoo! Just ordered my first whistles...

Post by teeisblue »

Yay! I just ordered my first two whistles, a Clarke Meg and a Clarke Original. I really wanted the Celtic or Sweetone, but my husband already thinks I'm nuts. He's not very musically inclined, and when I told him I really wanted a set of Uilleann pipes, but I'd settle for a tin whistle, he said 'Speak English to me.' I said 'I am, sort of.'

Anyway I figured I better start out with the cheapest I could find first, to lull him into a sense of complacency before I really start shelling out the dough. I'm not so much inclined towards the expensive whistles. It's just that I want one of each, in every key. Well, maybe just D, G, and C. Possibly A. And E...

I've barely begun, and I'm already obsessed. Doesn't take me long to get hooked.

Happy New Year to all, and to all a Boozy Night!

T
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Welcome T,

I started with a Clarke Original C and still enjoy it, though I now have as many whistles as you see in my avatar, with several costing much more than the Clarke. Even "expensive" whistles are a lot less money than most other instruments. For most people the time factor is bigger than the money element. Meaning that practice time, or just fun playing time is what makes a musician better, much more than $$$. I always tell new players to try and play every day, even if only for a few minutes (such as during TV commercials). A little bit every day is more effective than a big chunk of time once a week.

If you are looking for a full set, the Syn brand gets a lot of positive comments. Syns cost more than Clarkes but are a lot less money than most quality handmade whistles. Whatever you choose, enjoy your music.
+ Bill
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Woo! Hoo! Just ordered my first whistles...

Post by BrassBlower »

I like the Clarke originals because I tend to be a "physical" player and overblow most whistles. I also like the lower whistles (G, A and low D) for the same reason.
teeisblue wrote: It's just that I want one of each, in every key. Well, maybe just D, G, and C. Possibly A. And E...
...and Bb, and Eb, and F... :lol:

Oh, and you gotta have about a dozen just in the key of D. :P

But seriously, get as many keys as you can, especially if you plan to play other music besides just Irish Trad.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Welcome, T! :) Or should I say "It's too late for us, but save yourself!" :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

blackhawk wrote:Welcome, T! :) Or should I say "It's too late for us, but save yourself!" :D
But why would you want to save yourself?

I'm much happier now that I play whistle. Really. Why are you all looking at me funny? :lol:
happyturkeyman

Re: Woo! Hoo! Just ordered my first whistles...

Post by happyturkeyman »

teeisblue wrote: I told him I really wanted a set of Uilleann pipes, but I'd settle for a tin whistle
:lol:
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

DCrom wrote:Why are you all looking at me funny? :lol:
Maybe it's that silly hat you're wearing, DCrom :lol:

Welcome, T! It's good to have another Ohioan on the board. As for WhOA, it seems like it's too late to save yourself. So do what we all do...indulge! Buy as many whistles as you can! BUY MORE!! BUY MORE!!! Ok...sorry. Lost myself there for a minute :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Welcome.
Join us. We are all doomed to forever search for just one more whistle.

Perhaps Dale should add a warning to the home page, something like....

abandon all hope ye who enter here

or something to that affect. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Hi teeisblue - always nice to add another whistler to the Ohio side ... and the dark side of WhOA. :) Welcome!

~Judy
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

New whistles? I'm excited. I have a Burke coming. It's the last one I'll buy. I swear.

(xfingersx)
-Kevin
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Welcome! If you're hungry for whistles, you've definitely found the right place... :D

If you're looking for an inexpensive set of whistles in the most common keys, consider a Generation set.

At the same time you order it, you might consider getting yourself an Oak D and/or a Feadog D as in the past Generation has had some quality control problems with their D whistles.

However, a good Gen D is a wonderful whistle...if you luck out and get one of those, it'll be worth the price of the whole set and maybe then some.

--James
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

Oh, thanks for all the great responses! I'm so excited about my whistles. I really would like to play low whistles, but I know it's better to start with the sopranos. Ba-da-bing!

I definitely will need more Ds. Once I figure out how to play, I'd love to play at my church. I have a friend who plays clarinet and I think it would be a blast to do duets.

Maybe I could talk my husband into learning the whistle, too. :lol: Fat Chance!! When I say 'whistle' he thinks 'Half time!'

T
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
Paul

Post by Paul »

teeisblue wrote:Maybe I could talk my husband into learning the whistle, too. :lol: Fat Chance!! When I say 'whistle' he thinks 'Half time!'

T
Nah, but if you can find a way to get those pipes (and, eventually, you will) you can just sneak them in while he's watching a game. :wink:

Welcome :)

Post by Guest »

Tell me happened to make you so eager to learn the Tin Whistle?

:0)
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

Well, mostly it's the Celts' fault. I've always loved the sound of bagpipes, and I've always wanted to learn to play. However my family couldn't afford even piano lessons, which unlike every other child in the world, I was desperate to learn. Anyway, I was in a show recently called the Christmas Music Spectacular, in which a piper is featured. So I talked his ear off. Or more like, I wanted him to talk my ear off about the pipes.

To make a long story short, I figured out that the sound I was hearing that I thought was just a different kind of bagpipe was actually Uilleann pipes. I still prefer the sound of a Highland pipe, but for my purposes, I think that the Uilleann pipes are more practical. You know, more practical compared to a set of war pipes than say, a trumpet. It's all relative. And the Uilleann pipes have a sort of haunting sound to them. If you know me at all, you'll know the more depressing and dark the feel of something, the more I like it. :devil:

The more I read about UP the more I read about whistles and some page said that almost all Uilleann pipers play some sort of whistle. To me a whistle was some high-pitched goofy thing I saw in movies. I came to realize that the whistle is a pretty versatile instrument. It can be used in duets, ensembles, and by itself beautifully. And so I'm dying to learn how to play.

I also think it will be a great tool in sharing my faith. My pastor is a very pro-active pastor in that he inspires us all to share our faith continually. I'm not very good at talking about it, but I can sing a song, and hopefully play a tune soon, about God's love. Perhaps I can use it to help other people understand that we all are given different gifts to use for the glory of God. Mine happens to be music. Others can write, or speak, or paint.

And I think I'd look sweet. :P

T
Jean Baptiste Montegut