New piper and new message board groupie!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
staceybassoon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi there! I'm part of a traditional Irish band in the Detroit area called Seach I play mostly Irish flute and some whistle in the group. My flute is a Terry Mcgee and my D whistle is an Abell.

Post by staceybassoon »

I'm guessing that this is not yet the kind of chanter I want, is that correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 16325&rd=1
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

Run away Stacey! You guessed correctly.
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
staceybassoon
Tell us something.: Hi there! I'm part of a traditional Irish band in the Detroit area called Seach I play mostly Irish flute and some whistle in the group. My flute is a Terry Mcgee and my D whistle is an Abell.

Post by staceybassoon »

Let me guess, this is more like it-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Not that I'm unwilling to spend the money, I just can't spend it so soon yet. I'm getting married this summer and I need to get a new car... it's just frustrating more than anything. When I do things with instruments, I want to do it right. My fiance and I are both band directors in the Detroit area. We don't like doing things half-hearted.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The O'Grady chanter is more along the lines of what you need. I would urge you to consider Brian Lee's recommendation of Pat Sky's work. He's been making pipes for 30 or so years, and is a master reed maker. He offers the chanter alone for $350.oo.....a great deal for a great chanter. :)

Here is his website:

http://www.patricksky.com/
staceybassoon

Post by staceybassoon »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The O'Grady chanter is more along the lines of what you need. I would urge you to consider Brian Lee's recommendation of Pat Sky's work. He's been making pipes for 30 or so years, and is a master reed maker. He offers the chanter alone for $350.oo.....a great deal for a great chanter. :)

Here is his website:

So this chanter, can I hook it into my bag? My current chanter has this funky long pipe thing to connect to my bag...
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hard to say. The best bet for you Stacey, is to get the whole kit and kaboodle. Bag, bellows AND chanter - all matched and designed to play (and fit correctly) with each other.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Also keep in mind that even when you get a better set, playing the second octave is not something that comes right away.

A good thing to do with the set you have right now would be to just pratice a correct relaxed pipers grip, and proper bellows and bag playing. Don't worry about the sound as much as developing correct technique. Work on playing with closed fingering. There are plenty of tips on these things online. Getting the proper technique early on will help you avoid the dreaded pipers death grip and other maladies of the beginning piper.

I believe http://uilleannobsession.com has some good pics on fingering etc but it won't load at the moment.

-Patrick
Joseph E. Smith

staceybassoon wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:The O'Grady chanter is more along the lines of what you need. I would urge you to consider Brian Lee's recommendation of Pat Sky's work. He's been making pipes for 30 or so years, and is a master reed maker. He offers the chanter alone for $350.oo.....a great deal for a great chanter. :)

Here is his website:

So this chanter, can I hook it into my bag? My current chanter has this funky long pipe thing to connect to my bag...
I am not sure what you are talking about, but the only funky long pipe thing I am aware of on your set is the blow pipe from the bellows to the bag. At the neck of the bag, there should be what looks like a rubber stopper with a hole in the center of it, taped to the bag. This is where you would fit the chanter.

The above illustaration (though rough) shows a couple of different styles of chanter caps and wind outlets.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

There are two sets being sold right now... one a practise (for $600) and the other a half set. Look in to the practise set.
staceybassoon

Post by staceybassoon »

I guess my concern is how long the blow pipe is. It seems that on real life chanters, the straight blow pipes are about an inch or less long. I'm just concerned that a shorter blow pipe won't reach to my bag. Right now my blow pipe comes out of the chanter at a 90 degree angle and is about 2 or 3 inches long.
Joseph E. Smith

staceybassoon wrote:I guess my concern is how long the blow pipe is. It seems that on real life chanters, the straight blow pipes are about an inch or less long. I'm just concerned that a shorter blow pipe won't reach to my bag. Right now my blow pipe comes out of the chanter at a 90 degree angle and is about 2 or 3 inches long.
The blowpipe is the hose from the bag to the bellows. The brass tube from the chanter to the bag is called an outlet, and shouldn't really be beyond 3-5 inches long....except if someone has attached a bit of rubber tubing to make it easier to play their B and Bb chanters.

By the sound of it, your outlet would seem to be the correct length. These things will vary from chanter cap (or windway) to chanter cap. Trust me, you shouldn't need anything longer than that.
staceybassoon

Post by staceybassoon »

This outlet thing, it seems to be attached to my chanter. Is it supposed to be removable? Do new chanters come supplied with this part?
Joseph E. Smith

Depends on the style of the chanter. Is there any way you could post a picture of what you are writing about?
BigDavy

Rosewood practice chanter

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Stacey

The rosewood practice chanter would be better than your current one - I bought one (for a laugh I must admit - given the FX rate for the pound against the dollar it was a cheap purchase) and after playng about with various plastic reeds got it to play in tune up to B in the second octave.

This surprised me no end as I was expecting it to sound absolutely rubbish and it didn't. This led me to try one ot the keyed Pakistani chanters. Again after much swapping of reeds ( I ended up using a plastic reed for a Chris Dixon chanter) it also works in tune all the way up to D in the second octave.

On the basis of my admittedly limited sample it seems that it is the reed quality contol that is the problem with these chanters not the chanters themselves. As a very inexpeienced piper (if you ever hear me murdering a tune - ask Uillium to verify this if you like) if I can get them to work then the more experienced pipers out there should be able to no problem.

If you do go down this route get the shop you purchase the chanter from to supply you with a reasonable number of reeds to swap around till you find one that is acceptable. This will allow you to get working on your technique while you are waiting for your chanter to be made.

Welcome to this world of frustration.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
staceybassoon

Post by staceybassoon »

Ok, here are some pictures of my wonderfully awesome chanter.