Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

For what it's worth, I just heard on NPR that on-line donations are coming in at an incredible rate.

In the same item was the observation that lots of new web domains with "tsunami" in the name are popping up--they may or may not actually get aid where it needs to go.

People! They certainly make life interesting. :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Again, I believe the international red cross will
get people the most help for your buck.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

jim stone wrote:Again, I believe the international red cross will
get people the most help for your buck.
Right on Jim. In fact, our government has just released a statement that if people want to make private donations, that's the way they should go. No one understands local issues like the Red Cross.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

mvhplank wrote:
claudine wrote:Thanks for your sarcasm and your lies, KDMartinky. You are certainly a good american patriot.
Well, hmmm.... the title of the thread is "Is America doing enough..." and while KDMartinky may not have had accurate figures available, and may have interpreted the data he had incorrectly, and then offered OPINIONS based on that, I don't think his post is one that will allow you to sling accusations and insults without remark.

So, let me remark: "cool it."...
KDMartinky - "The amount France is sending is pathetic, but I would expect as much and germany isn't doing much better. " - I believe he set the ugly precident to "sling accusations and insults"

I agree with whoever said that we should just give what we can and be helpful, not judgmental.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

I just read on AOL news that, as of today, the total pledged by world governments is $500,000,000.00. It didn't say anything about total private donations, though.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

susnfx wrote:I don't have the exact quote at my fingertips, Tom, but I stand by it. The U.S. was never mentioned by name. However....are we giving enough? Let's see, a day or two ago I read where the New York Yankees have been assessed a "luxury tax" of $25 million dollars for overpaying their players. This just happens to be a case where I know the numbers - I could go on a rant for pages about money we spend on idiotic luxuries in the U.S. while the nations on the Indian Ocean do without a tsunami warning system because they can't afford it. I don't know that we could ever give "enough." This is a sore spot with me...I get absolutely furious at money paid to sports figures, entertainment personalities, heads of corporations, and others while people around the world live dire poverty and starve to death. It's sickening.

Susan
Amen on that!!!!!!!!!!
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Re: OT: Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Post by anniemcu »

KDMARTINKY wrote:...Don't hold me to this, but I believe the contributions/pledges breakdown as follows:

United States: $35 Million
Japan: $30 Million
Germany: $1,350,000
France: $135,000
Russia: Unknown
United Kingdom: $29 Million

others:
Australia: $27 Million
I disagree with your whole premise, but let's just take a look at some related facts:

Country Population Your estimate of Committmed Donation
Germany 82,424,609 $1.35 Million
Japan 127,333,002 $30 Million
France 60,424,213 $135 Thousand
Russia 143,782,338
UK 60,270,708 $29 Million
US 293,027,571 $35 Million

Australia 19,913,144 $27 Million

Doesn't look so black and white to me as you are trying to paint it.

I imagine that the per capita wealth would be interesting to compare as well.

Having pride in your nation (mine as well) does not require snide commentary and judgement of others. It requires making sure your nation earns your turst and pride.
anniemcu
---
---
---
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I just read this online. So much for sending any money to help India:

India Turns Its Back on Outside Help
Thursday, December 30, 2004

NEW DELHI — As the United States and other nations pour in food, money and manpower to tsunami-buffeted Asian nations, India is taking its traditional stance: Thanks, but no thanks.

"If and when we need their help, we will inform them," Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Thursday, noting that U.S. President George W. Bush had called with the offer.

India, one of the founders of the Nonaligned Movement, typically proclaims it is capable of handling its own problems, politely telling allies and rivals alike to butt out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Just visited the Red Cross site and it's nice to see that they've received $18 million in donations for the International Response Fund in the last few days.

Susan
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I donated money to the Red Cross, but I think I might do my long-term giving to Oxfam. They've evidently been working extensively in that area for some time and already have a substantial presence there. Or, at least, one hopes it's still there.

CNN.com now how the toll at 118,000. I have to say in all honesty that I just can't wrap my head around it. None of us can. The ones of us that think we can are wrong.

http://chiffandfipple.com/toll.html

Dale
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

It's likely that the US will send out expert from the centers for disease control. A host of government organizations will probably be sent out to help.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

DaleWisely wrote:I donated money to the Red Cross, but I think I might do my long-term giving to Oxfam. They've evidently been working extensively in that area for some time and already have a substantial presence there. Or, at least, one hopes it's still there.

CNN.com now how the toll at 118,000. I have to say in all honesty that I just can't wrap my head around it. None of us can. The ones of us that think we can are wrong.

http://chiffandfipple.com/toll.html

Dale
Yes...did you see how they've already assisted a brewery in Sri Lanka to convert to bottling water while the need is dire? Very cool!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Re: OT: Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Post by claudine »

anniemcu wrote: I disagree with your whole premise, but let's just take a look at some related facts:

Country Population Your estimate of Committmed Donation
Germany 82,424,609 $1.35 Million
Japan 127,333,002 $30 Million
France 60,424,213 $135 Thousand
Russia 143,782,338
UK 60,270,708 $29 Million
US 293,027,571 $35 Million

Australia 19,913,144 $27 Million
Repeating KDMARTINKY's lies over and over again doesn't make them true either. Where did he get those numbers?
What I found:

- USA: 25,7 Million EURO (remember 1 Euro = 1,36 Dollar)

- France: 22,16 Million EURO - and plans to give up to 40 Million Euro
With the population of USA being 5 x bigger than France's.

- Germany: about 20 Million Euro

- EU: 23 Millon Euro (is willing to give up to 30 Million).

And that is financial help paid by the governments of these countries. It does not include the aid coming from private sources (NGOs, companies, ...).

Finally, UK is giving up to 50 Million Pound (about 75 Million Euro).
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

My concern is that all the contributions pouring into these nations will not reach the people in need, but fatten the pockets of various government officials ... as has happened too many times. The magnitude of this tragedy is totally inconceivable, to me. And this petty bickering about which country is giving more or can give more is freaking ridiculous, IMO. It seems that the USA gets flak for interferring too much in other nations' concerns ... or gets flak from not helping enough. That's just the same old ... stuff.

The only important thing is to give -- through an agency you trust to actually provide assistance ... and to thank God (or whatever alternate deity you chose) if your family is safe and sound tonight.

~Judy
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

DaleWisely wrote:I donated money to the Red Cross, but I think I might do my long-term giving to Oxfam. They've evidently been working extensively in that area for some time and already have a substantial presence there. Or, at least, one hopes it's still there.

Sorry, was trying to get more info about Oxfam.
Need to check their site. Best
Last edited by jim stone on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.