Bl**dy, bas***d reed.....

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jay-eye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bl**dy, bas***d reed.....

Post by Jay-eye »

Feck! Feck! Feck!

Calm down, Jon! OK, breathe deeply......

I got my practice set 5 weeks ago yesterday so you can tell I'm just about due a dose of the reality of pipering, I guess I've been living on borrowed time. Sure enough, I noticed that over the last little while it was getting harder to play the top notes of the second octave. This morning I couldn't get above the high G no matter how hard I pumped the bag.

No probs, I thought - I'll do me some reed-tweaking!

So I read the maker's comments (Charles Roberts) and the excellently detailed online stuff by Pat Sky and had a bit of a go. I closed the lips of the reed a bit and it played great - got it in one, I was so impressed. Left it down for a couple of hours and..... disaster! Wouldn't play low notes at all!

Panic ensued! I'd love to tell you what I did then but I've tried so many different permutations of opening and closing the the reed and raising and lowering the bridle that I honestly think I'm very lucky to have it working at all!!!! There have been moments when it hasn't been playable but I'm very relieved to tell you it it is now. I've got a nice solid, no gurgle low D again and I can go all the way to the top D without having to lean against a wall to give the bag the necessary extra squeeze! I'm guessing it's just about right in the pressure dept (it's actually easier than it ever has been in 2nd octave) and the intonation seems ok too.

Of course it could all go to sh*t by the time I play it again in the morning, but my only quibble now is B'. The B in the 2nd octave has a very strange harmonic gurgle on it. I thought at first it was due to my sloppy closing of fingerholes with my right hand but now I don't think that's it, although it doesn't happen every time. It gurgles but it's not B it's gurgling, it's another note, over the top of the B.

Any clues, folks? Is it a common occurrence, or have I ballsed it up in a new and unique way? Should I place my order for a new reed A.S.A.P.?

Thanks in fretful anticipation

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
BZH29
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BZH29 »

For the moment I think you don't need to play the B in second octave ! Don't touch this reed now , before to get another one ! It's the best .
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

My B does that if I don't play it X|X00XXXx (ie the "proper" fingering)

If I leave the G finger open (X|X000XXx) it gurgles...
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Sounds like you have a good reed. I wouldn't worry yet too much about your top B. 5 weeks is not very long to have a reed, so I'd suggest leave it as is and play it as is and you may find that after another few weeks that the reed will begin to sound better. Don't get too impatient with trying to tweak reeds as it's far too easy to go that little bit too far and stuff it up all together. If you're only quibble is the top B then sounds like you've got a reed that many would just about kill for.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Jay-eye

Re: Bl**dy, bas***d reed.....

Post by Jay-eye »

Jay-eye wrote: I got my practice set 5 weeks ago yesterday
Secondhand by the way - so I don't know how old this reed is.

Just thought I should add that bit of info.

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi J.I.,

You shouldn't worry about it too much. After 5 weeks of playing you will have trouble with playing the 2nd octave anyway. Take things nice and slowly and don't worry too much about tuning etc. It takes years to be able to play these yokes half way decently at all so jsut take one step at a time.... one technique at a time etc etc.

Is there an experienced piper anywhere near you that could give you a hand? They might be able to set the reed up decently for you. The NPU videos are great if you haven't those.

Happy New Year,

Patrick.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

JI, yes this is a common occurance..which is why they tell you "don't feck with the reed!"...

Always good to have a second or a third reed first before you start fecking with one of them...that's why I've decided to start making my own..

Wecome to one of the maddening parts of piping.

-gary
djm

Post by djm »

JI, congratulations on your skillful mastery of the piper's vocabulary and correct usage of same. You are well on your way!

Play your reed in for at least 20 minutes to warm it up before making changes - ignoring any weirdnesses it may display on first playing. You may have been overpressuring the reed in your early learning attempts, and this is the reed's way of shortening your life in recompense.

Enjoy!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Also, don't forget what time of the year it is, and it is highly likely that your reed is reacting to changes in humidity....like drying out. A vast amount of patience....something I will always need to work on....is perhaps the most valuable thing you can learn for yourself, when taking on the Uilleann Pipes.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. :D
brianc

Post by brianc »

Joe nails it.

Consider what the weather was like 5 weeks ago, compared to more recently.

I predict that WITHOUT any tinkering with the reed, that it'll come back.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

High B? I'm lucky if my reed hits high B on a good day. Some days it sings, others, well others it just won't go past A without a lot of gracing. My solution is to not play tunes with B in them.

;-)

-Patrick
reedman

Post by reedman »

I know a piper who puts the kettle on the gas ring in his kitchen ten minutes before he starts playing on a summers night to get some moister in to the lovely dry English evening air on a summers night,works a treat. :wink:
I' just fall a sleep with all that lovely music. :sleep:
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

reedman wrote:I know a piper who puts the kettle on the gas ring in his kitchen ten minutes before he starts playing on a summers night to get some moister in to the lovely dry English evening air on a summers night,works a treat. :wink:
I' just fall a sleep with all that lovely music. :sleep:
It doesn't happen often, but Central Florida will dry out occasionally during the winter months, during these times, I will put the kettle on about a 1/2 an hour prior to picking up the pipes...this way, the first three strokes of the bellows sends much needed moisture to the reeds and I don't have to wait too long to play with ease and ear comfort.
reedman

Post by reedman »

Joseph it sure helps the reeds from drying out to much,anyone with central heating should also try it out by putting a container of water on the radiator ten-to-fifteen minutes before playing, but if possible try to avoid rooms with central heating,if you have a gas ring on your cooker in your kitchen just light a couple of rings before playing, there should be enough moisture from the flame it self, kitchens are good places for playing pipes I find, getting some moisture into the air of the room while playing will help the reeds from hardening and closeing down,just try it out and give us your verdict. :wink:
all the best for the new year guys. :party:
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

It's been a busy day today entertaining some visitors from Romania but the reed seemed pretty good duuring a brief tootle earlier - I think I got away with it after all!

Thanks for all your imput. I certainly think getting a spare reed would be a sound idea before I get too adventurous and try to tweak it again.

But hey..... I'm a born messer - can't help but fiddle with things, whether I know what I'm doing or not!

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.