Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have set up several nights way into the early morning hours watching the news regarding the latest Asian event. Every news broadcast lastnight was indicating that the United States is dragging its feet with the aid of the peoples in Asia. Don't hold me to this, but I believe the contributions/pledges breakdown as follows:

United States: $35 Million
Japan: $30 Million
Germany: $1,350,000
France: $135,000
Russia: Unknown
United Kingdom: $29 Million

others:
Australia: $27 Million

Now these are the six most powerful nations on earth and although $35 million is not much in monetary value, this does not include moving a U.S. naval battle group in to aid the victims and the amount of food, water, blankets, etc. that is being shipped not by independent agencies, but by the U.S. Government.

If there is anything that needs to be said is that Germany, France, and Russia need to pitch in a little more. This is not just a U.S. interest, but a global one. The amount France is sending is pathetic, but I would expect as much and germany isn't doing much better. So once again the leader in serving the nations of the world is the U.S. So I say one had better point the finger in another direction when thinking we are dragging our feet.
Last edited by KDMARTINKY on Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
TomB

Post by TomB »

Well, you are right about the U.S., and I'm fairly certain that more will be given, eventually.

Personally, my take on it is each country makes its own decision on what to give, based upon many factors. What type of aide a particular country provided is no business of any other country.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Agreed, Tom. The last thing the world needs now is to start arguing about who is donating what and who SHOULD be donating what. Let's all do as much as we can in any way we can, and proceed together.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I think that the president said that our contribution was only the beginning....but really, I would tend to think that they could use it more now.
I thought that France had given over 1 million at this point?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I think what has happened is that, even with 24 TV coverage, the enormity of what had happened just didn't sink in. The world started gearing up for a normal disaster (if there can be such a thing) and it took time for the scale of of what had happened to sink in. I guess people in Government are just as capable of being numb with shock as the rest of us.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

At the time of writing, the UK Government is sending £15million in aid, and UK charities have raised a further £20million.

The death toll is curently 114,000. When Beth and I first heard the news it was less than 5,000 confirmed deaths.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4133987.stm
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Considering that the world has no obligation to give ANYTHING, every single dollar people give should be welcomed as a gift and be free of criticism. The problem is that the purity of charity doesn't exist anymore, and people DO think that the world has an obligation to give people money. You might think we have a moral obligation, but since it's not fair to push your morals on someone else, you shouldn't criticize someone's charitable policy based on your morals.

For the record, I do support the U.S. giving money, but it must be remembered that ANY charitable contribution, big or little, is above and beyond the call of duty.
Brigitte

Re: OT: Is United States Doing Enough In Asian Event?

Post by Brigitte »

KDMARTINKY wrote:If there is anything that needs to be said is that Germany, France, and Russia need to pitch in a little more. This is not just a U.S. interest, but a global one. The amount France is sending is pathetic, but I would expect as much and germany isn't doing much better. So once again the leader in serving the nations of the world is the U.S. So I say one had better point the finger in another direction when thinking we are dragging our feet.
I think it does not help to compare who donated what, compared to other spendings of these countries, the donations anyway look more than sad. When I saw the numbers though, I wondered where they were taken from as at least the German number is totally wrong, so I presume the French one which is more than ashamingly low as well, same as the British. German government had instantly released 20 Million Euros "Soforthilfe" which usually is the start and there will be more aid later. Englands government has released 15 Million GBP whereas British citizens have donated in the last four days 25 Million GBP, British government has given less than one day Iraq maintenance costs them which they got blamed for a lot today in public. I have not found any numbers of how many money citizens of Europe have donated already but from what I hear on the news it must be tremendous what normal people have done so far. While typing this, British government has increased its donation to 50 Million Pounds.

I just hope that lots more money gets released, every person can do good and donate to their favorite organisation to help the people hit there and elsewhere. Many people I met in the last days have donated or will donate, we all can help.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

France: 15.000.000 Euro "Soforthilfe" + 5.600.000 Euro through the EU (according to "Der Spiegel"). In relation to the total population, that means that France has already given 3.5 x more than USA.

Thanks for your sarcasm and your lies, KDMartinky. You are certainly a good american patriot.
Last edited by claudine on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

And don't forget that a huge part of the donations sent to any disaster come from the private sector. From what I've seen on the intarweb there is a larger effort to obtain the help of the private citizen then any other disaster I've seen, including the WTC. Millions of people are giving a few dollars here and there which will total more then all the government contributions.

This squabbling over who gives more reminds me of kids squabbling over who "loved Mom" more after she dies. It seems like nothing can be done without bickering. If France decides to send $10.00 then they have the right to do so without being criticized. Same for any other country, including the US. The same goes on the individual level as well. Do you have ten dollars? Give a dollar. Do you have a million dollars? Give a dollar. Who cares? Just something. We've got around 180 million people over 15 here. That's 180 million dollars. That's my point.

And why all this talk about the death toll? Sure it's terribly sad but what about the people who are trying to survive? They're what counts at this point. We shouldn't base the amount of giving on the number of dead but on the number who need help. If there were a million dead and three survivors then you wouldn't really need as much aid as if there were 3 dead and a million survivors.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Spain has actually given the most at this point - $65 million, I believe. A remark supposedly made that the U.S. is "stingy" was a misquote. The remark was that "rich nations" don't give what they really could (or words to that effect). In an article I read yesterday, it was pointed out that when comparing donations to gross national product, the U.S. does give less aid than many other nations.

Susan
TomB

Post by TomB »

susnfx wrote:Spain has actually given the most at this point - $65 million, I believe. A remark supposedly made that the U.S. is "stingy" was a misquote. The remark was that "rich nations" don't give what they really could (or words to that effect). In an article I read yesterday, it was pointed out that when comparing donations to gross national product, the U.S. does give less aid than many other nations.

Susan
Everything I've read seems to say stingy. Not saying you are wrong about the misquote, but hear is what one paper said-

U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

Again, personally, I don't think any country has any business or any right to complain about what any other country gives. Support comes in many ways and each country, just like each individual, makes their own decision on what they will do, no matter what others think.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:I think that the president said that our contribution was only the beginning....but really, I would tend to think that they could use it more now.
I thought that France had given over 1 million at this point?
Actually, the agencies that are in at the ground floor have said that donations will be more effective when it is known EXACTLY what is needed. If a country sends all it can now, little of that will be used effectively. They need countries such as the U.S. to be able to continue to contribute as specific needs become known.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think it's particularly bad taste KDM to make the noises you were making above, it's not a race to see who looks best, as Claudine said, smaller nations are making contributions (the Netherlands 25 million Euro for example) that are , when related to population size and national income are many many times the amount of what the US have pledged so far.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

claudine wrote:Thanks for your sarcasm and your lies, KDMartinky. You are certainly a good american patriot.
Well, hmmm.... the title of the thread is "Is America doing enough..." and while KDMartinky may not have had accurate figures available, and may have interpreted the data he had incorrectly, and then offered OPINIONS based on that, I don't think his post is one that will allow you to sling accusations and insults without remark.

So, let me remark: "cool it."

What happened is a catastrophe beyond my imagining and one side of the Atlantic pointing fingers and the other side getting its collective knickers in a twist is going to do no one any good at all.

Instead, go on-line and give money. http://www.google.com has a link to a page showing aid agencies. Make your choice and do something unquestionably good.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg