My wife wants a bombarde!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My wife wants a bombarde!!!!

Post by jbarter »

HEEELLLP!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

one of these?

It kind of looks like a clarinet with a REALLY wide bell at the bottom. Why is it so bad if she wants one? Do they sound horrible?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

I had to google that to find out what you were talking about! :lol: It looks pretty cool...

http://www.alain-pennec.com/celtic_musi ... tutor.html
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

aderyn_du wrote:I had to google that to find out what you were talking about! :lol: It looks pretty cool...
I googled too, but they are at least interesting looking. I'd love to hear one :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

izzarina wrote:I'd love to hear one :D
Oh no you wouldn't.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

jbarter wrote:
izzarina wrote:I'd love to hear one :D
Oh no you wouldn't.
A quote from a website:

"Another wind instrument that may be of particular interest is the Breton Bombarde, a truly hideous instrument that sounds like a cross between a Kazoo and an Indian market street!"

I was thinking it looked like a snake charmer's instrument....
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

It's a reeded instrument..sounds kazooish, maybe a bit bagpipeish without the drones.

They are extremely loud. As in "too loud to practice indoors". As in "too loud to play indoors at a loud bar where you drown out session players" too. No..i'm not bitter..
;)
Paul

Post by Paul »

John,

I phoned my pipemaker today about another matter, but I asked him if they made bombardes because they make a lot of unusual french instruments as well as Uilleann Pipes. He told me that they don't on a regular basis but that there is a very good maker in Brittany. The name is Gilbert Hervieux & Olivier Glet. Le Val, 56350 Rieux. They don't have a website but the phone number, in France, is 0299919068. You just have to add the international code. According to my pipemaker this is quite a famous bombarde maker and many top players use their instruments.

Good luck!

-Paul
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

You mean this?

There sure are a lot of request for odd weapons lately :-?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have a Camac one in Bflat for sale if you're interested :D if you want to outdo her I have a biniou kozh that I'd sell too.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

One of my favorite contra dance musicians, David Canteini, plays one. I've described it to people as "a bumblebee on steroids."

Oddly enough, when it comes in during the middle of a set, it gives the dancers a real lift and they go "woo!"

David went to Julliard to study oboe (he may be "Dr. Canteini" by now, for all I know) and plays all manner of woodwinds with his two bands, Swallowtail and Wild Asparagus.

I heard a Thistle & Shamrock interview with (I think) House Band and the bombarde player said it took too much wind pressure to play for very long. Indeed, David's face turns purple when he plays. The House Band guy said that in tunes that required a lot of bombarde playing, there would be several players, playing phrases in turn so no one musician would blow a gasket.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I actually like Bombardes, given proper distance.

Watching and listening to John Skelton play a reel on one is a blast.

On edit, the player from The House Band is John Skelton.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

beowulf573 wrote:On edit, the player from The House Band is John Skelton.
Thanks! My House Band CDs are all at home (or across the continent with my darling daughter) so I didn't have all my resources at my fingertips.

Doh! I could have Googled it!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
cowtime

Re: My wife wants a bombarde!!!!

Post by cowtime »

jbarter wrote:HEEELLLP!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Talk about backpressure!!!!!!
I hope she's got a good set of lungs because those take a tremendous amount of air.

I must admit I do like to hear a bombarde- but then I'm a piper too-what can I say? Perhaps the hearing loss accounts for that........ :roll:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If you ever get a chance to go Breton dancing; take it. The steps are easy and it's a lot of fun.

~~

However, I was once at a party/benefit concert in Montreal which featured a number of local musicians. They'd played, and the party was really just getting underway when midnight came along and the sound system turned into a pumpkin--the guy from the rental company showed up and started unhookng things. He was going home!

The band--about five musicians, if I remember correctly--tried to soldier on so the crowd could dance, but they could only faintly be heard. Suddenly, a bombarde & binou (breton bagpipes) pair showed up in the doorway, and they had no trouble being heard. The musicians on stage hastily put away their instruments and joined the dancers. They were still going strong when we had to leave to catch the last metro.

~~

"Ear-splitting" is the adjective phrase I'd apply to the bombarde. I've never heard that quantity of sound come out of an instrument so small before.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis