Jones' Turkey & Gravy Soda

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Jones' Turkey & Gravy Soda

Post by Will O'B »

Have any of you actually tasted this stuff? I like a good turkey dinner, but as a soda flavor it sounds disgusting. :roll:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quirky Turkey and Gravy Soda Selling Well

By REBECCA COOK, Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE - A new Turkey and Gravy Soda tastes, well, pretty much like you would imagine. But that's not stopping people from buying it.

Even the producers of the Thanksgiving-themed beverage at Jones Soda Co. were surprised by the demand. They sold out all 6,000 bottles online within about two hours last week.

"To be honest, we really didn't think so many people would want it," said a Michelle Whitehead, marketing assistant at the Seattle-based premium soda company that has a reputation for quirky flavors.

Founder and CEO Peter van Stolk dreamed up the seasonal flavor on a lark, but admits he can't stomach an entire bottle.

The liquid's ominous, murky brown color accurately warns consumers about the taste. The first sips bring a mix of sweet caramel and savory lard — and it's downhill from there.

A limited number of Turkey & Gravy Sodas will be available in stores around Seattle and Olympia for the suggested retail price of 99 cents. A few entrepreneurs are selling theirs on eBay.com; by Tuesday, the bidding was up to $63 for a two-bottle set.

Mary Turner, a radio DJ in Lansing, Mich., who is auctioning off a bottle for charity, has sampled the drink and warns that it's not for the faint of stomach: "If you roasted a turkey and mashed potatoes, put it in a blender, left it out for three days and then poured it into a Jones bottle, you'd know exactly what this drink tastes like!"

The company, founded in 1996, plans to donate proceeds from sales of Turkey & Gravy Soda to the Toys for Tots charity, and van Stolk said he will personally match the donation.

Will O'Ban
Last edited by Will O'B on Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Heard of it...never tried it. Anyone?

(I once tried some weird Chinese cola with gelatinous blobs in it though.)
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

It's hard to imagine anything more unappealing.

Except maybe a tuna margarita.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Jones is the best. I contacted them about something small a while back and they sent me a pack of stuff including a t-shirt, some stickers, and a hand-written note saying they appreciated hearing from drinkers.

Very cool company.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I actually own stoke in the Jones Soda Conpany. Not too many shares I think when I bought them they were at a high $.29 a share. :lol:

I have tried every flavor so far and yes the turkey/gravey is disgusting.....I think though its more of a mind thing going on then a taste bud process.

I prefer the blue bubble gum myself....yum yum.

You know its a very small soda company that will actually place a submitted photo as a bottle label....so if you have a goofey photo send it in for consideration.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Anyone else thinking of Every Flavored Beans?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Flyingcursor wrote:Anyone else thinking of Every Flavored Beans?
Yeah, I had one in mind when I read the story.

That sounds so very unappealing... I can't have carbonated stuff anyway, but even if I could, I don't think I'd try that one. Blecch.
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
emmline

Post by emmline »

We sometimes have the little boxes of Every Flavor Beans. (Made by JellyBelly...they're not the magic ones...sorry,) and it's usually my husband of the indiscriminate taste buds on whom all the grotesque flavors are foisted.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

emmline wrote:We sometimes have the little boxes of Every Flavor Beans. (Made by JellyBelly...they're not the magic ones...sorry,) and it's usually my husband of the indiscriminate taste buds on whom all the grotesque flavors are foisted.
When I posted the turkey and gravy soda flavor it made me think of Jelly Belly, also. If it wasn't for my son, though, I wouldn't know what Jelly Belly was. Back when he was 9 (3 years ago) we did a tour of their plant in Wisconsin. They have some pretty strange flavors also; a few of which I wouldn't try if you paid me. Their grossest flavors are marketed under Bertie Botts Beans. They claim that they taste like the real thing (I wouldn't know) -- my son just told me that he made the mistake of trying the sardine flavor and it tasted like the real thing. Go here for some of the flavors:

http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/Fu ... +Guide.htm

Will O'Ban

PS: I just remembered that I tried the buttered popcorn flavor. It tasted like buttered popcorn. Not my cup of tea in a jelly bean. Sorry.

Paul

Post by Paul »

DMARTINKY wrote:I have tried every flavor so far and yes the turkey/gravey is disgusting.....I think though its more of a mind thing going on then a taste bud process.

My hat's off to you, buddy :) . I havent tried the turkey soda or the strange flavor beans but I KNOW that it wouldn't make it past my teeth, and if by some way it did, all I can say is that I would hope that nobody was standing directly in front of me. :lol:
TomB

Post by TomB »

[quote="Will O'B[/b][/i] Their grossest flavors are marketed under Bertie Botts Beans. They claim that they taste like the real thing (I wouldn't know) -- my son just told me that he made the mistake of trying the sardine flavor and it tasted like the real thing. Go here for some of the flavors:

PS: I just remembered that I tried the buttered popcorn flavor. It tasted like buttered popcorn. Not my cup of tea in a jelly bean. Sorry.[/quote]

Yep, those are the ones based upon the Harry Potter books. We gave a box to both my niece and nephew last year. Surprisingly enough, my nephew would not try the "gross" ones. However, my niece ate every one that was in the box. She claims that as far as she could tell, they tasted like what they said they were.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

TomB wrote: However, my niece ate every one that was in the box. She claims that as far as she could tell, they tasted like what they said they were.

All the Best, Tom
Ewwww . . .

Will O'Ban

aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Will O'B wrote:
TomB wrote: However, my niece ate every one that was in the box. She claims that as far as she could tell, they tasted like what they said they were.

All the Best, Tom
Ewwww . . .

I've had the buttered popcorn, dirt, and the grass... not too bad. The ones I refused to try were the booger and vomit. One has to draw a line somewhere! :P
TomB

Post by TomB »

aderyn_du wrote:
Will O'B wrote:

All the Best, Tom
Ewwww . . .

I've had the buttered popcorn, dirt, and the grass... not too bad. The ones I refused to try were the booger and vomit. One has to draw a line somewhere! :P
Yep, I agree. My niece did not draw that same line, however.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

TomB wrote: Yep, I agree. My niece did not draw that same line, however.

Tom
If I'm not mistaken, my son accidentally got the earwax one. He was not a happy camper. :lol: