Oh the blasphemy!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh the blasphemy!!!!

Post by izzarina »

Upon opening my gifts this morning, I happened upon a rather longish, skinnyish package. My heart skipped a beat as I decided it MUST be a new whistle!!! I can't tell you how excited I was! Santa knew how good I'd been, right?
So anyway, I opened said package, only to find (to my horror!!! :wink: ) that it was NOT a whistle, but a R*C@RD#* !!!!! Who had put such a thing under the tree and then addressed it to me???? What kind of a twisted mind would even THINK of such a thing? Of course it was my husband :P
At any rate, I'm really not all that upset about it. I just have to relearn how to play. I keep forgetting about that silly little thumb hole in the back of the darn thing :roll: And then those blasted holes at the bottom where some brilliant person (who of course must have had too much ale at the time) bored two holes instead of the usual one. Oh well.....I'm off to take a stab at some beautiful music with my lovely new instrument!! :)
Anyone else get something neat?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

izzarina wrote:So anyway, I opened said package, only to find (to my horror!!! :wink: ) that it was NOT a whistle, but a R*C@RD#* !!!!! Who had put such a thing under the tree and then addressed it to me????
:o :boggle: :o :boggle:
My sympathy on the lack of a whistle. Good luck on that other thing with all the unnecessary holes.
Anyone else get something neat?
I did get an interesting CD featuring a pan flute ... which opens a new door in the realm of intriguing instruments for me. :D

~Judy
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

No whistle-gifts per se, but I did coerce a daughter into playing some Christmas duets--she on my Burke NB comp., and I on the Q1.
It's moments like those when the relatives are able to grasp that there is something worthwhile in this whistle fixation.
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

I got the Planxty DVD :)

Cheers,
David
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Izzy, eventually your marriage will be stronger for this trial. One day you will be able to look back on it all and actually laugh. Trust me. :D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:Izzy, eventually your marriage will be stronger for this trial. One day you will be able to look back on it all and actually laugh. Trust me. :D
I just told my husband that....he wasn't nearly as amused as I was :lol: It really is a shame how those that are not affected by WhOA just don't get those that are :wink:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:No whistle-gifts per se, but I did coerce a daughter into playing some Christmas duets--she on my Burke NB comp., and I on the Q1.
This is something that I am working toward as well. My daughter does very well on her whistle, and I really think that it would be fun to play a duet or two with her sometime. Glad that you got to do that for Christmas, Em :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I got three new harmonicas. Yaay. Finally replacing my losses from the great highway incident.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My wife stunned me by allowing me to order new drones and regulators from David Boisvert, thus completing a full concert pitched set of Uilleann Pipes from Greewood Pipes.....I am beside myself with joy and you can bet my wife is having all the grapes she wants peeled for her....forever. I don't know what I have ever done to deserve such wonderful and supportive spouse, but I am eternally thankful!!! :)
Wjndbag

Recorstle

Post by Wjndbag »

Hello, Happy New Year etc

The recorder is not fingered as such, but palmed off on schoolkids in UK as a Clessical Instrumint, heving more hales than requarred for a mere tinwhistle. A really good one sounds quite woody, and burns with a bright blue and yellow flame. They can only be played slightly off-key while staring at a large sheet of paper. I don't get it either.

Years ago, John Addison made me a one-off, a flamegrained wooden whistle, brass head, bone decoration, slightly lengthened from D to play C and C sharp, as I have a spare finger down that end, playing as I do top 4 bottom 2. I will scan it if you like and send you a picture.

Keep smiling, it helps the embouchure.

Patrick P :devil:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hey Wyndbag,PLEASE post that pic for me!
And Izzy,don't feel so bad-Carolan stuff sounds great on R*cord*r! :wink:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

How deceiving. It's not what you wanted but might as well enjoy what you got. I tend to do that every Christmas. :P
-Kevin
BEC

Some thoughts from the "other side"

Post by BEC »

izzarina,

As someone who has rather more time in playing various recorders than I do whistles (and being aware that there seems to be some real animosity about recorders here.....) all I can say is you will find that each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I find, going the other way, that being able to just swap bodies on my Syn whistle head to change keys (presuming the tune I want to play is without many accidentals) is easy and it does make playing tunes in a particular key easy to just have those notes.

But one recorder can cover all keys as it's fully chromatic (which is where those extra holes come in - the bottom two pairs give you effectively automatic half-holing). Being fully chromatic, accidentals in tunes are not a problem (relatively).

And, even an average recorder has a solid and dependable range of two octaves and a step, though adittedly the fingerings up near the top of the second octave start to make no apparent sense.

(And yes - I am aware that it is theoretically possible to get a full chromatic range from a whistle with various combinations of half-holing and cross fingerings.)

Like the whistle there is one set of fingerings, but depending on the recorder it sounds different notes. For commonly available recorders there are two bell notes: C and F. The soprano recorder (and the tenor, which is just an octave lower) have C as the bell note. Think of these as similar to a high C and low C whistle - all fingers down are C, pick up the right little finger for D, the next one for E and so forth, though if the recorder has "baroque" fingering, the F is a cross-fingering. This is not as bad as it sounds....

Up at the top of the octave the all-fingers-off note is usually an out-of-tune C# - that fingering is not normally used on recorders.

The alto recorder, and the one-octave higher sopranino, and the one octave LOWER bass all sound F as their bell note, and C is the three fingers on top down only.

I do wish there were as vibrant and fun an online community for recorders as C&F is, but I haven't found it. There are a couple of the more traditional e-mail lists, and they often get into arguments over similar things there - if you substitute "historically informed" for "traditional".

But since my interest in the recorder is that I like its sound, whether it's in baroque music or in Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums, I just ignore all that stuff. And my interest in the whistle is IT'S sound, and Irish traditional music is only one aspect of that as well, so I tend to learn what I can from the debates but not worry too much about it.

Actually, my main use for both types instruments is in a small instrumental and vocal ensemble that leads our congregation in song at one Mass a week. Now that I've discovered the whistle I am using it where my own musical sense (and the key and number of the accidentals of the song) lead me to use it.

So, with all of this, I hope you will come to enjoy your gift. I will warn you that whatever the recorder equivalent of WhOA may be called, it's MORE expensive.

Oh, I did get a Mary Bergin CD for Christmas....:)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

BEC, this is fantastic! I'm not terribly r*c#rd@er savvy, and so your post helped me immensely! Thank you for taking the time to type it all out. I believe that I have a soprano/descant recorder with Baroque fingering. I'm really anxious to learn a thing or two about playing it. I tend toget about the thumb hole, and play it "whistle style" which doesn't work all that well :P But it'll be nice to learn. I'm already thinking about getting an alto.....WhOA recorder style seems to come on fast! :wink:
BEC

Post by BEC »

You're welcome. Glad to hear it's Baroque fingered. The "German" fingered ones may have a simpler "F" (soprano/tenor) or "Bb" (sopranino/alto/bass) but at the expense of decent intonation on other notes.

If you like I can do a little research to come up with a current recorder method book that I could recommend. The old Trapp family book that I taught myself out of many years ago is questionable in some areas.

A couple of places for good info:

www.courtlymusic.com in New York is a good shop and they have what I consider the best plastic recorders (though my opinion doesn't match most "experts") - the Dolmetsch Novas. If you have a hankering for an alto you can get a Nova alto for $19 plus shipping - and it is a very good instrument, even though it does have a bit of the plastic "edginess" to its sound. And the Ritchies are all around nice folks to deal with.

We have a complete set of Novas from sopranino to bass and I like them all except the 'nino. The Nova tenor is my regular one and we have several of the altos - I keep one in my car for impromptu use (along with a Susato tunable D whistle) and another is on a stand for easy reach along with many of my whistles. My wife plays the bass quite a bit when she's not playing her Celtic harp.

Dolmetsch, in the UK, has HUGE site with lots of information on many recorder-related topics. www.dolmetsch.com.

One other site worth perusing is that of the Antique Sound Workshop - www.aswltd.com. Note that Dr. Green's focus is more on the early music aspects and that colors some of the info you will find there. But his treatise on selecting recorders and his thoughts on what different woods do for/to the sound are both good reads.

Good luck and have fun!

Added a bit later:

I just looked at Dolmetsch's online method - it starts from square 1 and looks pretty good. Perhaps a book would not be necessary. It is here: http://www.dolmetsch.com/method.htm

You'll also see stuff for the bass listed separately. It fingers the same as the alto, sounding an octave lower. Stuff is separate only because music for bass is usually notated on the bass clef. (This, of course, is also true for the really big ones: the great bass in C, the contrabass in F, and two more even larger, deeper sounding and more expensive.)