Posting "emotions" - How?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Posting "emotions" - How?

Post by BillG »

I just spent about five minutes trying to move an emotion from the side of this "Post a new topic" page and can't do it. I clicked and dragged, option clicked and dragged, control key and dragged, laid on the floor clicked and dragged, did a Toyota heal click and dragged -- where did I go wrong?

< SAD emotion >

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
bildio
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

Place your cursor, in the white text entry window, where you want the Emoticon. Mouse click on the one you want, and it will be inserted at the cursor position as a colon/parenthesis/letter etc. The actual icon will not appear until you Preview &/or Submit.

Bill

:)
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Why should anyone want to use this pathetic Dysneyland nonesense, or is that what American life is coming to these days ( he asks provocatively ) ?
Julia C

Post by Julia C »

:o Andrew, :roll: Life is too :( not to :party: however :devil: or :P or :twisted: or even 8) you feel
:D Christmas and a :boggle: new year to you and yours
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Julia C
sturob

Post by sturob »

I think he means "emoticons" and not "emotions," Andrew, though the point is taken.

I think it's unfortunate, also, that our writing skills have degenerated to the point at which we need to use emoticons to get an emotion across. I use them myself, so I too am guilty.

Can you imagine reading a book that relied on emoticons?

I am going to impose a moratorium on my own emoticon use. We'll see how long I last!

Stuart
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

sturob wrote: I am going to impose a moratorium on my own emoticon use. We'll see how long I last!
Stuart
:(
BillG

Post by BillG »

AndrewK wrote
Why should anyone want to use this pathetic Dysneyland nonesense, or is that what American life is coming to these days ( he asks provocatively ) ?
:-?

BillG

OH! Thanx. :D
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

andrewK wrote:Why should anyone want to use this pathetic Dysneyland nonesense, or is that what American life is coming to these days ( he asks provocatively ) ?
It's an attempt (somewhat primitive) at making internet correspondence more like a face-to-face conversation. But maybe your conversations consist of flat facial expressions and monotone speech.

I do agree that emoticons and such are corrosive to our verbal skills. But an individual doesn't need a PhD to use the internet. Luckily the medium is not influenced by Galtonian ideals.

Cheers,
Aaron
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I take it all back, Mr Malcomb.
Perhaps emoticons might make more sense of your views on the purchase of old French flutes, whether named or un-named, and pad out your apparant knowledge of the value of Old English flutes for the performance of Irish and Scottish music.
I can,t but help in finding these damned things childish in the extreme, and can only drag down my estimation of any point which is actually being made !
Henke

Post by Henke »

The thought have occured to me that if you tend to use such emoticons as this one: :D all the time you make a joke, then maybe you're not all that funny.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

andrewK wrote:I take it all back, Mr Malcomb.
Perhaps emoticons might make more sense of your views on the purchase of old French flutes, whether named or un-named, and pad out your apparant knowledge of the value of Old English flutes for the performance of Irish and Scottish music.
That may very well be the case seeing as I am not nearly as invested in such instruments as you. I'm more interested in the performance side rather than the material side of the tradition.

Cheers,
Aaron
sturob

Post by sturob »

I don't think there should be an entrance exam for the internet or anything like that, Aaron (et al.), and it certainly doesn't take a doctoral-level understanding of English literature to be able to express emotions using the printed word.

I'm simply reminded of the letters I've read that were written . . . oh, even up to the 1940s, the correspondence of regular people. The grammar may not have been perfect, nor the spelling, but they considered it important to consider what they wrote, and even to draft letters before posting them. Heck, my mother, who had no electricity as a child, writes and rewrites email.

I think the spontaneity and ease with which we can communicate on the internet are both blessing and curse.

And the lack of an entrance exam.

On second thought, we do examine drivers before licensure, and look how well that works . . . hmm.

Stuart
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

sturob wrote:.....
Can you imagine reading a book that relied on emoticons?

People who read books are in a position to read between the lines. A person who reads a book has more commitment to appreciating its content than someone on the internet reading one of a million posts. I realise I am generalising here but would anyone like to lecture graffitists about punctuation and better writing style?

The use of emoticons is often not so much a reflection of the writer's ineptitude as it is a reflection of what the writer thinks of the comprehension skills of the readership at large. :P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
glauber

Post by glauber »

Face it, most of you aren't good writers! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
Here is a copy of a letter from my Great Grandfather in 1888, you will see no smileys...
The letter goes on about is job in a "hat factory"... Thought you might like the script.
Jon