OT - A Plea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

amar wrote:damnit, aderyn cut the cheese...peeeeeeeewww.. :o

(edited for a less bloody trout bashing)
Last edited by aderyn_du on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

susnfx wrote:
Refuse to take the holiday off work - your boss will love that.
Turn down opportunities to get together with family and friends.
Overlook the needy all year instead of just the other 11 months.
Return a gift kindly given.Susan
Lots of people work holidays, not because they want to but because they have to. Nurses, police, firefighters, EMT workers, ect.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could help those in need all the months of the year, and keep in mind "There is more happiness in giving than in receiving"? And not taking our loved ones for granted, remembering that a holiday is not required to have fellowship and show love.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: OT - A Plea

Post by anniemcu »

Gerry1 wrote:Is it just me or does Christmas seem to bring out the worst forms of maudlin sentimentality in many people - that's if they're not too distracted by the seasonal frenzy of materialism. Jeez- can we try to remember that it's just a Pagan festival after all and keep the cheese on the back burner?

Gerry
Gee, Gerry, It sounds as if you are having an even worse season than me. I am so poor this year that I can't even give my kids money to go shop for each other ($20 each is too much right now), almost all of my family is gone (as in deceased) and we are estranged from my in-laws,(for very good reasons)... it's tough. It's not anywhere near the 'stereotypical' Happy Christmas, even if we fully embraced that (which we don't, either materially or religiously)... but we have do each other, enough to eat, and love to get us through... if that seems too maudlin to you, you need some better contact with mortality and love, guy... hope you get it in the gentlest of ways.

Edited to add... Then again, maybe what you mean is that people should be feeling the genuine love and compassion that are *suposedly* brought out at this time of year all through the year... that pretending that once a year is enough to hold the world together is not getting the real message... That I could certainly agree with.

May the season find you warm of heart and hearth... whether you like it or not! LOL!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Re: OT - A Plea

Post by Lambchop »

Gerry1 wrote:Is it just me or does Christmas seem to bring out the worst forms of maudlin sentimentality in many people - that's if they're not too distracted by the seasonal frenzy of materialism. Jeez- can we try to remember that it's just a Pagan festival after all and keep the cheese on the back burner?

Gerry
Uh oh! I think Gerry needs a GROUP HUG! Come on, everyone . . . let's gather round and give Gerry . . . don't be SHY, Gerry! We're your FRIENDS! . . . a greaaaaat biiiiiig SQUEEEEEZE!

Now, doesn't that feel better? I know I feel better!

(I think you have a point, Gerry, in that there is a seasonal frenzy of materialism and somewhat maudlin sentimentality. A happy medium would be good . . . )
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

While eating supper, I was lucky enough to hear Bart Simpson telling his little sister about the true meaning of Christmas:

"Christmas is the time of year when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ."

:thumbsup:

I've often thought that I would like to do a little something for Buddha's birthday, but shifting dates between the solar and lunar calendars makes it a bit tricky to keep track of. I think that Buddhists should learn from the Christians and move Buddha's birthday to correspond to Christmas, and his Day of Enlightenment to correspond to Easter.

Having Buddha's birthday on Dec. 25th would guarantee that most Western Buddhists would have that day off from work and school, and they could also take part in Spring Break festivities for his Day of Enlightenment. Then it would just be a short jump to have a Buddha's Birthday tree, with presents, and Day of Enlightenment Eggs hidden by the Day of Enlightenment Bunny. "Day of Enlightenment" is a bit of a mouthful, so we probably need a shorter name for that. Still, I'm sure everyone can see the benefits. We could have all those good old songs, like "I'm Dreamin' of a White Buddha's Birthday", "Have Yourself a Merry Little Buddha's Birthday", and so on.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

susnfx wrote:Guts? I don't know that it takes any particular courage to be against Christmas and the sentiments associated with it. Go for it. Who cares? Don't celebrate it. In fact, go all out:

Return a gift kindly given.

There are many positive aspects of this season for Christians and non-Christians alike and I say anything that softens a heart is a good thing.

Merry Christmas!

Susan

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Gerry1 wrote:
Examples, please. I mean, could you be more specific about what it is that bothers you, so we'll know what to stop?
Ach you know - all the "It's a Wonderful Life" mullarkey. Come on gie's a break! Let's just burn a wicker man or something.

Gerry
Hmmm. I think that happens in late August ... http://www.burningman.com :lol:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

mamakash wrote:
susnfx wrote:
Return a gift kindly given.Susan
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could help those in need all the months of the year, and keep in mind "There is more happiness in giving than in receiving"? And not taking our loved ones for granted, remembering that a holiday is not required to have fellowship and show love.
Amen.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

mamakash wrote:Lots of people work holidays, not because they want to but because they have to. Nurses, police, firefighters, EMT workers, ect.
You missed my point.
mamakash wrote:Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could help those in need all the months of the year, and keep in mind "There is more happiness in giving than in receiving"? And not taking our loved ones for granted, remembering that a holiday is not required to have fellowship and show love.
Yes, it would be wonderful. My point was that most of us DON'T help those in need all the months of the year (ask your local food bank) and we do take our loved ones for granted. If there is a season of the year that helps us remember these things, I say we're better off for having it.

Susan
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

What terrible night's sleep I had last night - I had the strangest dream where I had to visit my past, present and future and I met that business partner I swindled years ago. Oh twas horrible...HORRIBLE! I've changed I tell you...CHANGED! Merry Christmas everyone!!

Gerryooge
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

Erm sorry - don't know what came over me there with that last message.

I'll try to give this subject a serious response as I see I've touched a raw nerve - I can see now I can't treat this subject too flippantly.

What I should have said was this. I feel that the truth of what this midwinter festival should be has been swamped in a mire of sentimental BS and materialism. In my country and I suspect in most of the developed world Christmas is about spend spend spend with a few carols and a nativity play or two thrown in to make people feel less guilty about it all. Anything genuine about the Christian aspects of the festival is lost in all of that. If you're ok with what Christmas has become then fine. I don't agree that it's fine.

Now jump on me again unless you mean what you say about love and understanding.

Gerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Darwin wrote:While eating supper, I was lucky enough to hear Bart Simpson telling his little sister about the true meaning of Christmas:

"Christmas is the time of year when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ."

Didn't Bart actually say the reason for to come together and celebrate, the reason for christmas was : 'the birth of Santa' ? :lol: :lol:

But maybe that was another Simpsons' Christmas.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Darwin wrote:While eating supper, I was lucky enough to hear Bart Simpson telling his little sister about the true meaning of Christmas:

I've often thought that I would like to do a little something for Buddha's birthday, but shifting dates between the solar and lunar calendars makes it a bit tricky to keep track of. I think that Buddhists should learn from the Christians and move Buddha's birthday to correspond to Christmas, and his Day of Enlightenment to correspond to Easter.

Having Buddha's birthday on Dec. 25th would guarantee that most Western Buddhists would have that day off from work and school, and they could also take part in Spring Break festivities for his Day of Enlightenment. Then it would just be a short jump to have a Buddha's Birthday tree, with presents, and Day of Enlightenment Eggs hidden by the Day of Enlightenment Bunny. "Day of Enlightenment" is a bit of a mouthful, so we probably need a shorter name for that. Still, I'm sure everyone can see the benefits. We could have all those good old songs, like "I'm Dreamin' of a White Buddha's Birthday", "Have Yourself a Merry Little Buddha's Birthday", and so on.

"He aint heavy,He's my Buddha..." :party:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Gerry, are you sure your name isn't really Charlie Brown? But you're right, we can all use a reminder about what the season is really about.

"And there were in the same country shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them! And they were sore afraid ... And the angel said unto them, "Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ, the Lord."

"And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the Heavenly Host praising God, and saying, "Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth peace, and good will toward men."

"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."- Linus Van Pelt
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Gerry1 wrote:Erm sorry - don't know what came over me there with that last message.

I'll try to give this subject a serious response as I see I've touched a raw nerve - I can see now I can't treat this subject too flippantly.

What I should have said was this. I feel that the truth of what this midwinter festival should be has been swamped in a mire of sentimental BS and materialism. In my country and I suspect in most of the developed world Christmas is about spend spend spend with a few carols and a nativity play or two thrown in to make people feel less guilty about it all. Anything genuine about the Christian aspects of the festival is lost in all of that. If you're ok with what Christmas has become then fine. I don't agree that it's fine.

Now jump on me again unless you mean what you say about love and understanding.

Gerry
Not erm, but I totally agree with you, Gerry, that that is what the mid-winter holiday has become for way too many, but not that it has become that for all.

I'm not OK with that either, but I find it much more positive to continue to spread love and good cheer, more by action than words, throughout the year.

It makes a very effective argument, does get noticed and appreciated, even emulated, and is the best gift we can give each other... keeping the spirit of love and generosity in our hearts at all times... this season, by any of it's names, is a fine time for intensifying that, as more people are in need during the colder months in colder climates, and due to the colendar manipulation, more have time to get together and ward off the cold and dark in family gatherings (not that that actually is what happens in some, LOL!).

I guess I do understand your frustration with the 'popular' notions that pile up at this time, but I suppose I've learned to look past them and deal with it in *my* way, not "their's". I'm just not going to get Scroogy about it. (that was not an acusation, an I'm not preachin' to you, just giving my own view, for what it's worth.)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com