Oh my, I don't believe it!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Wow, where did you come by that? That's way too cool!! Sorry, don't know Aaron, but he is on my top ten list of all-time favorite composers. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Lorenzo wrote:Nice set of teeth...oops, I mean regulators to be! Davey B's no less?

Great photo. And now the regs are concieved. You're a lucky man, Joseph.
Yes, I will be going with Mr. Boisvert. But I haven't decided whether I will order three regs, or two regs and drones w/mainstock. I will have to discuss these options with my sweetie first. What do you think would be the better way to go?
snoogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by snoogie »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Yes, I will be going with Mr. Boisvert. But I haven't decided whether I will order three regs, or two regs and drones w/mainstock. I will have to discuss these options with my sweetie first. What do you think would be the better way to go?
My first thought was to go with the 2 regs + drones...then you'd have a complete 3/4 set from the same maker....

However, after thinking about it for a coupla minutes, the drones you have sound really good (even if their parentage is a bit far from Ireland)...so the 3 reg option would give you a great sounding set as well.

It depends on whether you want the 3rd reg or not...there's been other discussions on the pros and cons of the bass reg.

ooooohhhh, decisions decisions!
-gary
Joseph E. Smith

snoogie wrote:My first thought was to go with the 2 regs + drones...then you'd have a complete 3/4 set from the same maker....

However, after thinking about it for a coupla minutes, the drones you have sound really good (even if their parentage is a bit far from Ireland)...so the 3 reg option would give you a great sounding set as well.
Hey Gary, Happy Xmas eve to ya'.

Yes, I am uncertain which route I will take....it depends chiefly on the amount of funding I am allowed to spend. If I go with the 3/4 arrangement, it will be $400 dollars more or so, but it will mean that the set will be mostly David's make. However, I really like the tone and volume of my existing drones...and the bass reg would be a nice thing to have.....hmmmmmm. decisions, decisions....... :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
maw

Post by maw »

ger fer the regs Jo, yer never know in a few more years if yer a good boy, her who must be obeyed might surprise you even more and do what Ben's Goddess did :)
By the way, they've promised snow tomorrow over much of the UK, if it does I'll be posting that pic for you as promised.
Best wishes
maw 8)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
djm

Post by djm »

I'd have to agree with the others, Joe (you incredibly lucky sod, you). Go for three regs and have done with. Your current drones sound fine, so put your money into going forwards, not back.

If you don't have a hollow stock, you might want to have Dave make one of these for you, mount the regs, and then mount your existing drones in it afterwards. That way you will be without your set for the least amount of time. Mounting a bass reg means being without a main stock for a while.

Merry Christmas,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:....you might want to have Dave make one of these for you, mount the regs, and then mount your existing drones in it afterwards. That way you will be without your set for the least amount of time. Mounting a bass reg means being without a main stock for a while.

Merry Christmas,

djm
...yeah, I am leaning in this direction. It'll be up to my chief financial advisor (she who must be worshipped eternally :D ), and if it doesn't sink the bank, it's what I'll most likely end up doing. Man, I am still in a state of shock.....I feel like what Ben must feel like....wow. 8)
maw wrote:ger fer the regs Jo, yer never know in a few more years if yer a good boy, her who must be obeyed might surprise you even more and do what Ben's Goddess did :)
By the way, they've promised snow tomorrow over much of the UK, if it does I'll be posting that pic for you as promised.
Best wishes
maw 8)
I look forward to seeing it. :)
Joseph E. Smith

Well, a decision has been made, and since I couldn't decide between just the regs/stock or the 3/4 set regs/drones, my wife has told me to order the whole sheebang...... :shock:

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go have a good cry........... :D
maw

Post by maw »

That's 8) Joseph... One must be highly grateful now :wink:
They do amaze us sometimes don't they :-?
Best wishes
MAW
:party:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

That is great, Congratulations. This way it will be all one maker and you don't need to give up your set while he fits the regs.

You will be able to sell the drone to recover some of the cost, but that wont be for a while.
Joseph E. Smith

Douglas wrote:You will be able to sell the drone to recover some of the cost, but that wont be for a while.
Actually, I am going to keep the half set I have. The plan is to get my wife going on them.... :D They way I figure it, the more she learns, the more she will understand, and the more sympathetic to the piping obsession she will be.......... Evil, or what? :twisted:
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

That is great that she will consider it. My wife is not musically inclined. She does not have a speck of rhythm in her body, and she knows it.

I do hope to get my kids into piping eventually. But they are still young, my daughter is 7 1/2 and my son is 5. Maybe in a couple of years. They sure love going to Gabriels house for the monthly SCUPC gatherings.
Joseph E. Smith

Douglas wrote:I do hope to get my kids into piping eventually. But they are still young, my daughter is 7 1/2 and my son is 5. Maybe in a couple of years. They sure love going to Gabriels house for the monthly SCUPC gatherings.
I can't think of a better place to get them acquainted with the instrument or the music than to bring them to piping club meetings, and SCUPC would seem to have a bunch of great pipers to help sculpt their young eyes, ears and minds. :D
maw wrote:That's 8) Joseph... One must be highly grateful now :wink:
They do amaze us sometimes don't they :-?
Best wishes
MAW
:party:
Laurie has been amazing me for the entire 20 or so years we have been together, I guess I must be a nice guy or something......... and that just shoots my reputation all to hell. :lol:
maze

one lucky feller

Post by maze »

wow... one lucky feller.
.. a beautiful wife with taste and generosity..

wow...

see you soon i hope...

ps my two cents are to get the 3/4 set...
Joseph E. Smith

Re: one lucky feller

maze wrote:wow... one lucky feller.
.. a beautiful wife with taste and generosity..

wow...

see you soon i hope...

ps my two cents are to get the 3/4 set...
It's gonna be a full set now John. :D