OT - A Plea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Wallace of Wallace & Grommit wrote:not even Wensleydale?
what is a humbug anyway?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

These are....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Re: OT - A Plea

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Gerry1 wrote:Jeez- can we try to remember that it's just a Pagan festival after all and keep the cheese on the back burner?

Gerry
I, for one, do not need to try. Being a witch, this is a special time for me as the light is returning, and a new King shall be born.

Gerry, maudlin as the seemingly over-abundant Christmas sentiment seems, do not forget what the birth of Christ is all about....it is about a divine spiritual beacon and a divine spiritual redemption....schmultz aside, it is a time to reflect and a time to look forward. It is a time where you heart is given special sanction to be filled with love, happiness and selflessness. This is a holy time, a time of rebirth for us all, and frankly, I'd rather have all the gimmicks and sentimentality associated with this season than a dark, empty and depressing void where Christmas, Chanukkah, Kwanza, Ramadan or:...enter your observance here....do not exist.

Search your heart, and be merry. "Come, and know me better..."-Dickens.

Edited for grammar, spelling, mindset and a couple of 'Turkish Delights'! :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dubhlinn

Re: OT - A Plea

Post by dubhlinn »

Gerry1 wrote:Is it just me ...?
Gerry

Looks like it.

Slan,
D. :party:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

And besides - it's yucky out, we're snowed in, and whether it's Christ, solstace, or whatever, we need SOMETHING to celebrate to get over the winter blahs.
I mean, common - you don't expect us to wait until Mardi Gras to have a party, do you????? :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

missy wrote:And besides - it's yucky out, we're snowed in, and whether it's Christ, solstace, or whatever, we need SOMETHING to celebrate to get over the winter blahs.
I mean, common - you don't expect us to wait until Mardi Gras to have a party, do you????? :D

Missy
That, and whenever else will you be able to hear the placating resonant voice of Bing Crosby singing such classics as : White Christmas, or: It's Beginning To Look A Lot LIke Christmas? :D
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Gerry1 wrote:Is it just me or does Christmas seem to bring out the worst forms of maudlin sentimentality in many people - that's if they're not too distracted by the seasonal frenzy of materialism. Jeez- can we try to remember that it's just a Pagan festival after all and keep the cheese on the back burner?

Gerry
Well, finally someone with the guts to say it! I applaud you.

You've got my support!
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Charles Dickens wrote:"If I could work my will," said Scrooge indignantly, "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Guts? I don't know that it takes any particular courage to be against Christmas and the sentiments associated with it. Go for it. Who cares? Don't celebrate it. In fact, go all out:

Refuse to take the holiday off work - your boss will love that.
Turn down opportunities to get together with family and friends.
Overlook the needy all year instead of just the other 11 months.
Return a gift kindly given.

There are many positive aspects of this season for Christians and non-Christians alike and I say anything that softens a heart is a good thing.

Merry Christmas!

Susan
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Gerry, I can't help but notice your lack of an avatar. Feel free to use this one... at least for the season at hand!

:D

Have a holly-jolly Christmas!
David
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Gerry1 wrote:
Examples, please. I mean, could you be more specific about what it is that bothers you, so we'll know what to stop?
Ach you know - all the "It's a Wonderful Life" mullarkey. Come on gie's a break! Let's just burn a wicker man or something.

Gerry
Gerry:

I'm with you on "It's a Wonderful Life", but a little maudlin senimentality is cool. In a few days we'll all be back to the grim realities of everyday life. (and I'm an optimist) No need to rush things.
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

susnfx wrote:Meanwhile, I'd like to make a plea of another sort: If the gift doesn't have your name on it, don't take it!
I've been covering the desk of an associate while he's on vacation during the holidays. This morning several other employees brought me small gifts which I set on the desk while I went to lunch. While I was gone the guy I'm covering for stopped by, assumed the gifts were for him and took them home!

Hmph.

Susan
Aww! You should ask him sweetly, "Did you see some presents around here? Some people left me some little gifts on your desk while you were gone, but someone must have moved them because I can't find them."
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Gerry1 wrote:
Examples, please. I mean, could you be more specific about what it is that bothers you, so we'll know what to stop?
Ach you know - all the "It's a Wonderful Life" mullarkey. Come on gie's a break! Let's just burn a wicker man or something.

Gerry
Hmmm.... Who did you intend to put ino the Wicker Man?

Sorry to come in so late, but you're not alone. Whether you think its a grand religious occasion, or the most egregious celebration of rampant Western materialism, either way there's way too much smarmy sentimentality. I would point out that there's something worse than Jimmy Stewart's tear-jerker, though. Every Xmas eve when i was a kid, NBC used to broadcast a horrible operatic disaster called "Amahl and the Night Visitors" - sort of the little drummer boy set to bad music. It was the only TV channel we could get in those days.

I still cringe at the thought of that thing.

(I still plan to watch Holiday Inn tomorrow night, though.)
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

damnit, aderyn cut the cheese...peeeeeeeewww.. :o
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

mmm....brie.
And I had no idea that a humbug looked like that. You learn a new thing every day it seems

:D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.