Who re-reads their old posts?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gerry1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Who re-reads their old posts?

Post by Gerry1 »

I'll preface this by saying that I have just come back to the board after some time off - I seem to revisit every so often and then life sort of takes over.

Being bored tonight I decided to look back at other threads I'd become involved in (tres sad but there you go!) and had a laugh seeing stuff from a couple of years back - one thread kicked off big time six months later and I never got the chance to argue back - damn I feel cheated! I was even insulted in absentia - the cheek of it!

Does anyone cringe when they see what they wrote ages ago - now preserved for all eternity in the archives?

Gerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gerry1 wrote:Does anyone cringe when they see what they wrote ages ago...?
Cringe? I die the death.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey, I voted to periodically empty the trash frankly to Dale when he was talking about the storage space involved in our beloved archives. Face it, no matter how much fun we have, its the real chiffy stuff about whistles, makers and music that should be saved, not my bilious rants, Nano's one-liners, Stony's "sophistry (tip o' the hat to Murph, there)", Bloomfields periodic insults etc etc.. I reckon thats about 8 or 9% of the total posts. Also, I bet that many of the posted photos are now dead links as we change Net services etc etc. Even those of the skinny chick.

Let sleeping dogs lay and other metaphors..
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
aderyn_du

Re: Who re-reads their old posts?

Post by aderyn_du »

Gerry1 wrote:
Does anyone cringe when they see what they wrote ages ago - now preserved for all eternity in the archives?

Gerry

Omigoddess, yes! :oops: Oy.

Welcome back!!
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

not me. my posts are, without exception, highly intelligent and informative. I think they should be collected and printed. A bestseller is dormant in this message board. :D
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Gerry1 wrote:Does anyone cringe when they see what they wrote ages ago - now preserved for all eternity in the archives?
No, never, I stand by every word!

Erm.... I think I'll just go take a look at what I said.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nope. I try to mollify my posts, there can only be a couple of dozen I'm truly ashamed of. :oops:

I'd also vote to chuck out the old stuff periodically, even the whistle stuff. How many times do you see the same questions asked and answered, that were there to read if people could (be bothered to) find the threads?

I wonder if deleting old threads would reset people's post counts, though? And if it did, would that really matter? [/code]
TomB

Post by TomB »

Gerry1 wrote:

Gerry
Ages Ago? I sometimes cringe on the very day that I post.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Paul

Post by Paul »

TomB wrote:
Gerry1 wrote:

Gerry

Tom
Erm, yeah. me too. :oops: Glad I'm not alone. :lol:
Gerry1

Cringeworthy writings

Post by Gerry1 »

Actually thinking more about it - this particular cringe was for the flame war which kicked off a long time after I had finished with the thread and not so much for what I wrote. Which of course was logical, reasonable, considered and unquestionably right. It's those poor people who can't control what they say in their posts that I feel sorry for :roll:

For those who can be bothered the relevant thread is here

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=#17531

Gerry
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Who re-reads their old posts???

Many of the same questions get asked over and over again. I find using the search feature quite often to re-read (my) previous posts... especially the ones with pictures and links. It's often easier to point out a previous thread instead of retyping a new one.

Who re-reads their old posts? I do.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I only re-read the ones where I've been insightful, funny or brilliant. So, no, I really never do.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Martin Milner wrote:...I'd also vote to chuck out the old stuff periodically, even the whistle stuff. How many times do you see the same questions asked and answered, that were there to read if people could (be bothered to) find the threads? ...
Actually, searching doesn't always work as well as I'd like. For instance, I would like to make my own whistles, and just did a search of the whistle board for "whistle AND making NOT OT", hoping to find all the posts that were about whistle making but were not OT posts.

Result:

Search found 1423 matches

Addtionally the first 14 topics returned (just shy of one percent) are as follows:

1. Temptations of ALBA
2. Sticky: OT: Political...and sometimes religious
3. [ Poll ] On topic: pronouncing "whistle"
4. December update
5. 35,000 year old 'flute' discovered in Germany?
6. the movement from whistle to flute
7. The BEHEMOTH LEGENDARY Everybody on the Forum is a Cutie-Pie
8. FS: Sindog (Sindt-Feadog Hybrid)
9. anyone know anything about these whistles?
10. Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle
11. Technique on the whistle
12. tinwhistler's day jobs
13. Everybody listen to my first 9 notes!!
14. Old whistle

Post #4 is about Mack.Hoover's redesigned shop (He's a maker, so I guess that's a valid return), and #13 is about Lost-in-North-Dakota's first whistle. pretty well on target for my search. However, the other twelve were pretty much useless to me, and the thought that there are over 1400 more to go through is pretty frustrating, to say the least.

For this reason, it's often quicker to just ask the question again and hunch your back for the barrage of responses saying,"Learn to use the search engine."
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Gerry1

Searching archives

Post by Gerry1 »

Just thank your lucky stars that the board isn't on yahoo groups. One group I belong to has an archive of about 60,000 messages and when you search it only covers the current page - you have to click on next page repeatedly for the search to continue. I tried that about once as you might imagine. The same questions just get asked again and again on that group.

Gerry
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Paul wrote:
TomB wrote:
Gerry1 wrote:

Gerry

Tom
Erm, yeah. me too. :oops: Glad I'm not alone. :lol:
Count me in here as well. :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats