Miking The Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

Ahh, I was wondering if perhaps we had two different ideas of what "clean" meant. Was it for recording or live stuff that you were using the AKG and didn't like it? Some mics don't work as well for recording. I found the AKG to not work as well for recording fiddle as it did for some other instruments. It works ok for flute, but the Behringer is great for all. The AKG is a good live mic, but I don't like having to stay in a fixed position, so I'd want a clip-on type mic. I'm using a great mic for my fiddle right now that clips into the C bout and goes over the bass-side f-hole. Ciaran Tourish and Miread howeveryouspellhername are using the same one in Altan now.
Corin
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

glauber wrote:but not hyper-cardioid, mind you!.
Why not hyper cardioid?
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
glauber

Post by glauber »

GalegoMan wrote:
glauber wrote:but not hyper-cardioid, mind you!.
Why not hyper cardioid?
It sounds like "better than cardioid", but in exchange for better off-axis reduction, you get an additional lobe behind the microphone (that is, it has worse rejection of sounds directly behind the microphone), just where you normally would have a monitor speaker.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
mcdafydd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My wife and I moved back to beautiful Central Vermont and I need to update my Location! Thanks much...

Post by mcdafydd »

It sounds like most of the hubbub is not about the mics which clip on the flute. How do some of the ones you listed above sound, glauber? Do they pick up a lot of wind noise?

And does anyone know what Fluteworld's site is referring to in this statement about the Yamaha Pickup Mic?

"Yamaha personal studio system needed. "

I'm looking for something pretty cheap, but may go for one of the c1000's on ebay if the right opportunity comes along. We'll be playing in a pretty loud session envionment soon, and it sounds like the cheapo's from Radio Shack won't cut it.

thanks all. and happy christmas.
glauber

Post by glauber »

The one i have is the Yamaha Personal Studio (PS/7). I think it's discontinued, but you still find it sometimes. They used to have it in fluteworld, but it looks like they're gone...

I position the mike so it's not directly in the air path, so it doesn't catch any wind noise. The cable hanging from the flute is a small nuisanse, but other than that, it works very well. IT cost me about $100.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Thanks for the thread, folks! I've been curious about this for years.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Well. I have my new mic now! Finally I choose an AKG C-1000, a really great microphone with a relative low cost on e-bay. In Spain that mic costs 250-300 €! :evil:

Thank you all for your advice and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
:party:
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I have been using "head" mics in performances for awhile and find that they work well. I can angle the mic to a position close to the corner of my mouth which picks everything up well. I used a cheapo one for awhile, but got much better results with this one: http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/beta54.asp

The reason i like head mic is because I need to move around and don't want to be tied to a stationary mic. Attaching the mic to the flute doesn't work for me because I change instruments regularly during gigs - sometimes in the middle to a set and I can't be fussing with a mic at that time.

The only down side is that sometime breath sounds from my nose are audible if I'm not careful.

Clark
Tipple/fipple Flutist

Amplification

Post by Tipple/fipple Flutist »

I have been using a violin tuner mic just because I can and It's cheap.
My inquiry is about amplification. I have a fender tube Jazz amplifier that I use with my telecaster usually, but have tried the cheap violin mic on it, it has a reverb feature that is just incredible when hooked to this cheap mic. The tuner mic doesn't pick up wind noise, just vibration through the body of the flute. It does lack in pre amplification though, not enough pre-amp, I'm figuring.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which mic might mate up to this amp most effectively. Of course I want either a headset or mic that attaches to the flute itself. Or ideas on a pre amp that will boost the pickup in the violin tuner mic.
I realize this is not the common use of a fender amp or cheap tuning mic, but you should hear the results, even with the cheap tuning mic, the reverb is awesome.
Let me know your thoughts.....
It's 30 below zero in balmy Minnesota, won't be playing flute outside today! :roll: