(O.T.) Can anyone give me some good recipes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mimi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mimi »

Hey everyone,

I am moving to a new aparment tomorrow, and I am stressed. We hardly have any furniture....and no groceries -- as of now. Can any of you give me some good food ideas, or good recipes before I go grocery shopping? It wouild help us to save a lot...since we are five poor college students. I am sure you all have really good food ideas. Wish me luck! Thanks for everything. If you have any other good tips and advice for saving and things...it would be great if you could share them with me. ~Mimi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mimi on 2002-04-04 00:32 ]</font>
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Dear Mimi,

Try the book "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn. ISBN # 0-375-75225-0.

It has recipes and other fine ways in which to live life on a budget. My wife has been reading it (and I sneak a peak, too) and has come up with a number of cost saving ideas.

Erik
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

If you have a crock pot, you can make a lot of inexpensive dishes, like stews and the like.

My typical crock pot stew:
1/2 lb "soup bones" (for add'l flavor..they're about a buck and can be dropped for cost savings)
5 avg size carrots, cut into 'coins'
3-4 russet potatoes, cubed (1")
1-2lb stew meat, cubed
1 cup water (dissolve a boullion cube for flavor)
1 clove of minced garlic
(you can get the pre-minced garlic if you'd like, but I'd suggest against garlic powder)
salt and pepper to taste (about 1tsp or so)
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped

put in crock pot in listed order.
Cook on low for 10-12 hours. This usually makes about 10 individual servings for me and my wife, so it's only a couple bucks per meal. Of course, I usually add quite a bit to this dish by visitng the spice rack (I have a ton of spices), which isn't absolutely necessary. But a bay leaf, some basil, and some thyme can add some more depth to this dish. If necessary, you can thicken it by dissolving a couple tbs flour in cold water, adding it to the stew when it's done, and cooking on high for another 20-30 mins.

An easier crock pot dish:
5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can condensed cream of chicken & mushroom soup
(if you don't like mushroom, use cream of chicken)
2 cans condensed cheddar soup
salt and pepper to taste. These soups are already salted to a degree so it won't take much.

Add to crock pot in order listed. DO NOT ADD WATER, as crock pots always end up with more liquid than you start with. The thick condensed soup WILL thin out. Cook about 8 hours on low. For additional flavor, you can sprinkle onion and garlic powder on the chicken breasts before adding soup.
I usually have this over rice (real rice is cheapest...instant rice is easiest), which sucks up the chicken and soup nicely. With a light salad, and about 1c of rice per person, one chicken breast with sauce makes about a complete serving.

Both of these dishes freeze well so you can save leftovers.

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Crock pots rule, especially for making biggish dinners cheap..if you don't have one, I suggest getting a cheap one ASAP. :wink:

Greg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-04-04 02:09 ]</font>
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Good point, Greg!

For under $20 you can get a crockpot and a crockpot cookbook. I suggest "Crockery Cookery" by Mable Hoffman and it's hard to go wrong with a Rival Crockpot.

My wife makes crockpot spaghetti sauce (that makes a huge amount) and then we freeze the left overs for several other meals. For dessert entertainment I play a whistle (my vain attempt to bring this several OT thread around :smile: ).

Good stuff!

Erik
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

This is one of my favorite recipes:

Dublin Coddle

1 lb. bacon slices
2 lb. pork sausage links
2 lg onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 lg potatoes, thickly sliced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
1 bouquet garni
bacon grease
black pepper
hard cider
chopped parsley for garnish

Lightly fry bacon until crisp. Break into bite sized pieces and place in large cooking pot. Brown sausage in the bacon grease.
Remove, cut into bite sized pieces and add to pot. Soften sliced onions and minced garlic cloves in the bacon grease, then add to pot with potatoes and carrots. Bury the bouquet garni in the middle of the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with hard cider. Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours over medium-low heat, DO NOT BOIL! Garnish with chopped parsley.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

On 2002-04-04 07:13, raindog1970 wrote:
This is one of my favorite recipes:

Dublin Coddle

1 lb. bacon slices
2 lb. pork sausage links
2 lg onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 lg potatoes, thickly sliced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
1 bouquet garni
bacon grease
black pepper
hard cider
chopped parsley for garnish

Lightly fry bacon until crisp. Break into bite sized pieces and place in large cooking pot. Brown sausage in the bacon grease.
Remove, cut into bite sized pieces and add to pot. Soften sliced onions and minced garlic cloves in the bacon grease, then add to pot with potatoes and carrots. Bury the bouquet garni in the middle of the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with hard cider. Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours over medium-low heat, DO NOT BOIL! Garnish with chopped parsley.

Any recipe that starts out with

1 lb. bacon slices
2 lb. pork sausage links

can't possibly go wrong
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I just tried this last night for the first time. I'd had it a couple of weeks ago at an Italian restaurant and duplicated it really well first try:

1/2 lb penne or similar pasta
1 small can tomato paste
~15 black olives
~15 capers
a couple tbsp water
hot paprika or ground red pepper to taste

Put a large pan of water over high heat for the pasta. In a small sauce pan, put the tomato paste with enough water (maybe 1/4 cup) that it's not too too pasty. Slice the olives and add them and the capers to this, then add paprika or pepper so that there's just a hint of zing. When the pasta's done, drain and rinse, then add the paste. Serve with a good bread.

Another easy crockpot recipe is chili:

2 cans beans (black, pinto, and/or kidney)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1-2 onions
1 bell pepper
1-2 mild chilis (anaheim, cubanel, tomato)
hot chilis to taste (jalapeno, serrano, habanero)
~2 Tbsp chili powder (to taste)
1 tsp cumin (to taste)

You may also want to add:
1 lb stew meat or diced pot roast or steak
1-2 bouillon cubes
some water

Coarsely chop all veggies, remove seeds and ribs from fresh peppers, put it all in a pot, make sure there's enough liquid, and let it stew for a few hours. Taste it half an hour or so before serving and adjust spices.

Enjoy, Charlie
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

My favourite cookbook series is "Company's Coming" There are a huge number of the books in different topics and they use everyday ingredients.

Last night we had

Easy Taco Dinner

1 lb ground beef scramble fried with some onions and green peppers.
2 1/2 cups water
1 pkg taco seasoning
Bring to a boil and add the macaroni from a box of Kraft Dinner. When that is cooked add the cheese packet and one chopped tomato. Serve immediatley with shredded lettuce, green onion and sourcream.

Very tasty! (just a note, I find it too strong using the whole package of taco seasoning so I just use half)

Have fun!
Deb
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Hmmmm... this could lead to some very interesting recipies.

Now there's a thought...

WHISTLIN' RECIPIES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
by the c&f group.

I am quite partial to a good bowl of soup.

For leftover turkey or you can use chicken breast.

TURKEY NOODLE SOUP

2T oil
1/2 C chopped bell pepper
1 C chopped red onion
10 C chicken or turkey broth
1 C dry white wine
2 cans drained diced tomatoes
1/2 C dried parsley
3 C 1/2" cubed cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 C small egg noodles
3 drops tobasco sauce
1/4 tsp. salt

In soup pot, saute with oil onion and green pepper. Then, add broth, bring to boil. Add tomatoes, parsley, and turkey. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add salt, tobasco, and noodles. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Laura
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Dare I suggest the ever popular (and dirt cheap) Tuna Noodle Casserole!

2 cans tuna, drained and 'fluffed
1 can Campbells cream of mushroom, or celery
or broccoli (don't water it down...it needs to be condensed)
1 lb box of flat egg noodles, cooked
potato chips or chinese chow mein noodles

mix the tuna and cream of X soup and about half the noodles add pepper.
in a buttered casserole dish layer the plain noodles, the mixed with tuna stuff noodles, and on top put the chips...

for added nutrition you can mix a box of frozen peas or carrots or whatever in the tuna mix

bake at about 350 for about 45 min.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
cj

Post by cj »

I second the casserole motion, tyghress. If you're not into tuna (which I love), you can make broccoli, chicken, or whatever casserole. You can throw in just about any veggie, bread crumbs, seasonings, to suit your taste. And it's good warmed over!
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Here's dinner and dessert . . . vegetarian style. It's cheaper to cook up veggies, pasta and legumes and you'll have a chance to experiment with seasoning. It's better for your health, too.
The cassarole is great as leftovers and the applesause cake is a snap to make. Enjoy!

Chickpea Cassoulet with Tomatoes and Chard

• 1 onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red pepper
• 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme(1/2 tsp dried)
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 15-oz can chickpeas
• 2 cups chopped tomatoes
• freshly ground pepper
• 1 bunch chard, leaves only
• 12 oz pasta
• 1/2 cup grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook pasta al dente, drain. Saute onion garlic, diced red pepper and herbs. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently until onions are soft about 8 min.
Add chickpeas, 1/2 cup of their liquid and tomatoes. Season with pepper. Lower heat and simmer 15 min.
If pan becomes dry, add a little water to keep it moist. Steam chard until bright green and tender. Remove, chop coarsely, season with pepper and if desired salt. Put pasta in casserole, add chickpea-tomato mixture, chard and cheese. Toss until well mixed.
Cover with foil and bake until warmed through, about 20 min. Serve with additional grated cheese if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings (I find it to be more). Here in Fl. it's hard to find chard, so I usually use fresh or frozen spinach. Kale would work just as well. You can also prepare this ahead of time, then pop into oven and heat for 20 min.

THE NEW FARM'S APPLESAUCE CAKE

1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups *unsweetened* applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix oil and sugar well, add applesauce, and mix in the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Pour in an oiled and floured 9" x 13" pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or into an oiled loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until done. This cake is even better the next day.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Don't forget <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hole-grain porridge</a>. Also works well in a crockpot, it is claimed.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Mimi! Plan on eating a lot of rice. 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water makes 3 cups of *RICE*! It's cheap, like about 14 bucks for a 20 pound bag, and let's you buy things like fresh veggies and occasionally meat. Grow your own sprouts. Anything you can stir fry in a wok is great! I've used a wok for pretty near anything. P.S. I second the crock pot thing, just make sure you get one where the crock part is removable! Stay away from generic macaroni and cheese! If I could have only one cooking pot, it would be my wok! Leftovers, like rice, are great the second time around when you stir fry 'em! Fresh garlic and ginger and Soy Sauce do the seasoning job really well!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-04-04 20:07 ]</font>
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

It's been a long time since my college days, but if you want to eat well and save money, plan on a soup every dinner. It can either be a first course or the main meal depending on what you make it out of. You will find that you want a much smaller portion of what ever else you prepare.