Davey Rocks!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Davey Rocks!

Post by Nanohedron »

Just got the Ginsberg C full set back from the jaws of disaster, all thanks to our own Dave Boisvert of Greenwood Pipes. All but two tiny original ivory bits have been tastefully replaced with faux ivory, the regs actually work now (and very well), and the chanter is now for all practical purposes spot-on. Oh, and it's got a wooden chanter cap, swan neck, with a stop key. I could go on and on about what was changed here and there both cosmetic and acoustic, but suffice it to say that Davey made heroic efforts to rehab this set, and pulled it off and then some. It was a bit of a mongrel-looking thing before, but now looks all of a piece thanks to Davey's keen eye with the new mounting profiles.

Here's a pic (sans stop key):

Thanks again, Davey.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Very Groovy!!

Hey Nano, you ought to bring this set down to the Florida Tionol, February 4, 5 and 6. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Very Groovy!!

Hey Nano, you ought to bring this set down to the Florida Tionol, February 4, 5 and 6. :D
It'll go into humidity shock. :lol:

Besides, I have to learn to play them all over again. :oops:
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Very Groovy!!

It'll go into humidity shock. :lol:

Besides, I have to learn to play them all over again. :oops:
I can't think of a better place to learn than attending a Tionol in the gentle winter climes of Florida. :D

Great work Davey, you DO rock buddy.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll keep the tionól in mind. At least now I can feel as if I have any business posting on this forum!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Nano, will you post a picture of the underside of your set?
I'd like to see the drone placement and how the straight bass drone bends into the stock.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ooo, you naughty man! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tony wrote:Nano, will you post a picture of the underside of your set?
I'd like to see the drone placement and how the straight bass drone bends into the stock.
I'll set up some more pics soon in the Pix thread. There are a number of details that I'd like to show about this set in its rehabbed condition, anyway. With the old-style straight drone, the whole set extends about 4 feet 5½ inches, a bit shy of 1.37 metres.

My cat's happy the pipes are back. I keep it in my apartmernt on an upper shelf of the built-in living room hutch when I'm not working at it, and she likes to sit up there with the set.
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:My cat's happy the pipes are back. I keep it in my apartmernt on an upper shelf of the built-in living room hutch when I'm not working at it, and she likes to sit up there with the set.
Ahhhhh, I say, you have yourself a personal pipes guard cat. :D So tell me, does pussy play?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:My cat's happy the pipes are back. I keep it in my apartmernt on an upper shelf of the built-in living room hutch when I'm not working at it, and she likes to sit up there with the set.
Ahhhhh, I say, you have yourself a personal pipes guard cat. :D So tell me, does pussy play?
Her drones are so unaccountably quiet as to be near-inaudible. Her melodies have plenty of "Nyaah" going for them, though. :)
Royce

Re: Davey Rocks!

Post by Royce »

Nanohedron wrote:Just got the Ginsberg C full set back from the jaws of disaster, all thanks to our own Dave Boisvert of Greenwood Pipes. .
Now, make sure you pack a good damp rag in the case and close them up tight to keep them from splitting up again.

Royce
Joseph E. Smith

Royce wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Just got the Ginsberg C full set back from the jaws of disaster, all thanks to our own Dave Boisvert of Greenwood Pipes. .
Now, make sure you pack a good damp rag in the case and close them up tight to keep them from splitting up again.

Royce
Do nothing of the sort....instead, pour a nice, easy, full and handsome glass of the 'stuff', drink it, and then keep those fecking pipes in a friendly environment............add 'stuff' as needed. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Royce wrote:

Royce
I'll see YOU at practice tonight, piker. Oops, typo. That should have been "piper". :P
Davey

It's ok...

Post by Davey »

Don't worry folks, nothing to concern yerself with..Nano knows better than to listen to Royce...

Ya know, oddly enough...Nano managed to crack another of his instruments! :D

Say cobber, do any of yer instruments not have battle wounds? (heh heh)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Re: It's ok...

Post by Nanohedron »

Davey wrote:Don't worry folks, nothing to concern yerself with..Nano knows better than to listen to Royce...

Ya know, oddly enough...Nano managed to crack another of his instruments! :D

Say cobber, do any of yer instruments not have battle wounds? (heh heh)
I did NOT crack it. It cracked itself. I go and sing your praises, and this is the thanks I get? Big mouth. :P

So far, the Foley tuneable spoons gizmo's intact, as remains the Olwell dogwood stick. I anticipate no new problems, other than the pipering kind.