On topic: pronouncing "whistle"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you pronouce the "h"?

Yes
38%
No
61%
Not sure
1%

Total votes: 76

pearl grey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pearl grey »

Back to the "w" and "wh" sounds... I say them both the same, and I'm from the south. My mom, however, is a Canadian, and ever since she married my dad and moved down south she's had a little trouble with the natives. :) Our last name is White, and somehow when she's trying to talk clearly and officially (like giving her name to mail-order phone operators) she overemphasizes the "Wh" in White. She sometimes gets catalogues and packages addressed to Mrs. "Hoyte." I've learned to get around it by just saying, "White like the color."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

One instance where I do pronounce the H in "wh" is my mother's maiden name, Whinnery. It's a Lowland Scots and Scots-Irish name. Causes people no end of auditory confuzzlement. "What's that? Gunnery? Fennery?" To which I reply, "*sigh* Try 'Win-a-ree'. Now add the H as God intended" :roll:

I just realised that I usually pronounce the H in general with "wh" words, but drop it in noisy environments, or in situations that require urgency and thus ready comprehension.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Around here it's nyew, and dyew.

Oh, and the REAL mountain dew looks nothing like the vile yellow concoction that is mass marketed.

The real stuff is clear as crystal, and more firey and potent than you can imagine. :roll:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:Oh, and the REAL mountain dew looks nothing like the vile yellow concoction that is mass marketed.
The product marketed as Mountain Dew was originally called "Tri-City Lemonade." It was simply bottled in the returnable glass bottles formerly used for a 7-up clone that was originally labeled "Mountain Dew" because it was clear and used as a mixer (when it was first introduced into bars, patrons jokingly would ask for a drink to be mixed with some of that mountain dew, so the manufacturer adopted the name). The reason for the name change, on the Lemonade drink, was just so that local bottlers could use bottles they already had.
cowtime wrote:The real stuff is clear as crystal, and more firey and potent than you can imagine. :roll:
My great great granddaddy did five years for it.
Last edited by Walden on Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

cowtime wrote:Around here it's nyew, and dyew.

Oh, and the REAL mountain dew looks nothing like the vile yellow concoction that is mass marketed.

The real stuff is clear as crystal, and more firey and potent than you can imagine. :roll:
Hah! We were sitting around a campfire at a Bluegrass festival near Angier, NC, and a jar of the stuff was being passed around. Just as he got his turn, some guy noticed that the fire was going out and decided to pep it up a little, and suddenly there was a 10-foot-high sheet of flame going up, right in the middle of the woods. It's lucky the whole darned place didn't catch on fire. You shoulda seen the people next to it falling over backwards.

Drunks shouldn't be allowed to handle alcohol. :P

(And how come all my interesting stories are 30 years old? :( )
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I say new like nu and dew like du as in aderyn_du but not like duh as in dubhlinn.

Some people here in Michigan say warsh but I frown upon such vernacular. When I lived in Norfolk VA I heard a lot of people call it Norfork or Northfork or Nawfalk or Nafuk. Of course considering the location, what more is there to say?

I wouldn't pronounce Battery as batry but I think it's kind of funny.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

How many people pronounce the L in almond? I do, my wife doesn't, and the lads refuse to use the word so they're not taking sides. :D My father even pronounces the L in words like folk (though not in walk).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Flyingcursor wrote:I say new like nu and dew like du as in aderyn_du but not like duh as in dubhlinn.
Dubh rhymes with move.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jbarter wrote:How many people pronounce the L in almond? I do, my wife doesn't, and the lads refuse to use the word so they're not taking sides. :D My father even pronounces the L in words like folk (though not in walk).
My grandmother pronounces the L in salmon.
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:
jbarter wrote:How many people pronounce the L in almond? I do, my wife doesn't, and the lads refuse to use the word so they're not taking sides. :D My father even pronounces the L in words like folk (though not in walk).
My grandmother pronounces the L in salmon.
I pronounce it when I'm talking about the fish as animals, but not when I'm referring to the food--or to the color. (Since I don't eat it, myself, and no longer have cats, I don't have many occasions to talk about the food--and I don't think I own anything with that color.)

I sort of pronounce the "L" in "almond". How about the one in "soldier"? (I'm assuming that everyone pronounces the "di" as "j", though, for some reason, most Americans no longer pronounce the "di" in "India" and "Indian" as "j".)

Anyone not from Virginia know how the locals pronounce "Newport News"?

I think "New Orleans" has as many variants as any other city in the US--everything from "nyew orleens" to "nu orlins" to "norlins". I seem to use all three--which one depending on who I'm talking to, or what I'm talking about.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

All-mund.

Sammin.

Sal-m'nella.
Wjndbag

An Englishman writes

Post by Wjndbag »

Hi - when we hear it on BBC News, hwords like hwistle sound accented with the h in front of the w. How can it be done otherwise? My embouchure (a French word meaning embouchure) is not sufficient. More of this anon. Turlough O'Carolan used to pronounce the h in harp quite distinctly. His deaf brother once sailed in a ship with the Abbe Liszt, and luckily never heard the pronounced Liszt which nearly caused a maritime disaster. :boggle:

Yours at the Festive Season

Patrick
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

You say Car-MEE-na, I say Car-MY-na,
You say Bur-AH-na, I say Bur-AY-na,
Car-MEE-na! Car-MY-na!
Bur-AH-na! Bur-AY-na!
Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jsluder wrote: Car-MEE-na!
My great grandfather always drove an El Car-MEE-na. It was a 1960's model, in maroon. His sedan was reserved for out of town trips. When he passed away, a nephew of his, by marriage, who lives in Texas, got it.
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Walden wrote:
cowtime wrote:Oh, and the REAL mountain dew looks nothing like the vile yellow concoction that is mass marketed.
The product marketed as Mountain Dew was originally called "Tri-City Lemonade." It was simply bottled in the returnable glass bottles formerly used for a 7-up clone that was originally labeled "Mountain Dew" because it was clear and used as a mixer (when it was first introduced into bars, patrons jokingly would ask for a drink to be mixed with some of that mountain dew, so the manufacturer adopted the name). The reason for the name change, on the Lemonade drink, was just so that local bottlers could use bottles they already had.
cowtime wrote:The real stuff is clear as crystal, and more firey and potent than you can imagine. :roll:
My great great granddaddy did five years for it.

TheTri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City)are where we go to shop, to the doctor, etc.
We've also got some of the old Mountain Dew bottles with the hillbilly, etc.. They were in the barn, along with a lot of other old bottles. We use to use them to hold up the tobacco canvas off the ground when we sowed the tobacco bed. A few years ago my husband got one of each, washed them and put them up.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West