when to make a debut...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

If mummy's paying for the trip, keep quiet about it till you get there, then drop out of sight at your nearest piping venue and don't appear again until they're due to catch the plane back. You might catch s**t but so what? When are you going to get another learning opportunity like this?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brianc

Post by brianc »

eric_smith wrote:Definitely leave them at home. You'll be bummed to be lugging them around everywhere just on the off chance you'll feel comfortable enough to let off an air in some pub. You will enjoy your trip much more without them.
I couldn't agree more. If you have commitments to make to family, keep them. (Whatever happened to "Family comes first" ?)

So you happen upon a session without your pipes? So what? Sit back and enjoy the music - and listen to it. Maybe you bring a tin whistle and play along.

I've brought my pipes on each visit, and in those 7 visits, it was worth it on perhaps 3 visits... one was Willie Week - that's obvious. Another was to have the maker tidy them up, that too was worth it. The final time was when I had some time to play in my Grandfather's cottage. Definitely worth it!

All the other times, it wasn't worth it. Couldn't find a session (you'll be suprised at many of them that don't start until 10PM or later).... other sessions that I did find were closed, or just too darned fast to even chance it... or most other times my wife didn't want to stay late in the pubs... or go to a pub at all (back during the 'smoky pub' days).

Leave them at home..... this time. NEXT time you go (and you will - after your first visit, you'll want to go back, and you'll go without the commitment to spending time with family.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brianc wrote:Leave them at home..... this time. NEXT time you go (and you will - after your first visit, you'll want to go back, and you'll go without the commitment to spending time with family.
...no no no no no no..........bring them, and then push your family off of the Cliffs of Moher, citing an accident or something, stay in Ireland and busk for your bread and bowl...then....then....uh....I think I need to go and take more medicine.....one moment please..........
brianc

Post by brianc »

:lol:
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

brianc wrote: Couldn't find a session (you'll be suprised at many of them that don't start until 10PM or later)....
How true, how true..... and usually 80 miles from where you're staying to boot! :roll:

I concur with the whistle suggestion - less hassle. Then, if you end up being offered the job as Paddy Moloney's
replacement, you can always pick up a new set over there! :wink:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Look. I'm not suggesting Antaine ditch his family and disappear the instant he lands in Dublin or Shannon, but I am suggesting that a day or two at a piping event should be part of the itinerary. Or, as Jim suggested, he could arrange for a private lesson with one of NPU's many fine instructors or network with NPU to meet up with a pipe teacher for a tune somewhere along the way. The whole "family comes first" thing can go both ways.

I do agree Antaine should do much more listening than playing but, if he packs light, it should be nothing for a 25 year old man in good health to lug a set of pipes around, even a full set. Even if it isn't, it will toughen him up.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Pat, but didn't he say they were taking a tour bus?
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

And you know, Antaine, I hate to be heretical, but the piping teachers within 100 miles of where you live are probably just as good as you'll find yourself close to on a random bus tour round the emerald isle.

Look man, if you want to take them - just take them! Just make sure you get digital video of yourself playing the 'Ace & Deuce' at sunset while standing on Polnabrun dolmen sipping a pint of Guinness.... and put the link up here for us all to oooh and aaah at! :lol:

Otherwise you'll never hear the end of it! :D

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Hi Antaine,

After not visiting Ireland for 8 or 9 years, and hardly playing for 5 years (family and job) what could be considered my second debut in ireland was a family holiday this summer gone.

We were staying near Feakle festival and I noticed a bit of intolerence to less experienced musicians present in the sessions there.

Firstly, each pub had a sign up saying "Only one Bodhran per session". Which I saw as possibly a positive move. But which instrument might be next?

Secondly, my first session started with a bit of a rough ride.

It was an official festival session and as the paid "leader" (a fiddle player) was getting out his instrument I approached to politely ask if he minded if I joined in.

Expecting an automatic nod I was suprised when he asked "Are you any good?"

I said I was OK and he then replied "Well as long as you are not loud".

I replied I was loud and he said "Don't sit too close then as I might get annoyed".

I am now old enough and confident enough to sit down opposite him and a good session ensued. After an hour or so the almost inevitable " Play us a few reels now" was thrown my way by the fiddler and by then my fingers were lose enough to comply.

The initial exchange was made in a half light hearted way and the fiddler and his mates clearly enjoyed the situation.

When I was younger I would have found this quite an awkward exchange and would have probably left my pipes in their case.

My advice would be take your pipes but feel your way carefully (sensitively) into any musical environments.

I'm off down the pub for a pint now, all the best for your trip and your piping.

David

Edited for spelling mishtakes
Last edited by David Lim on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

i have enough good sense to make no attempt to join a session...my thought was either solitary playing, or if we happen to hook up with my cousins along the way...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Take 'em, and then make your cousins carry them when you meet up. :D
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Hi,

Back from the pub now.

I would strongly encourage you to "hook up" with your cousins.

Although I am sure there are those who would disagree with me, as mainly a session piper, I believe this is a very social music and playing with other people is great.

David
djm

Post by djm »

DLim wrote:I would strongly encourage you to "hook up" with your cousins.
I believe Ireland has recently passed a law against this.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

especially as the only of my cousins i've met is male and older than my parents
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

djm wrote:
DLim wrote:I would strongly encourage you to "hook up" with your cousins.
I believe Ireland has recently passed a law against this.

djm
In certain strata of English society it's almost compulsory :boggle: