OT.I Don't Have

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Montana wrote:And don't get me started about how ugly the cell phone towers are...
Yeah, they're ugly... but they can also be profitable. My parents own the highest ridgetop in their county, and the cell phone companies wanted to buy plots to build towers. My Dad said, "No thanks, but I'll rent the land to you." There are now three ugly towers up there providing my parents with a healthy bonus to their retirement income. (And, in the long run, they'll get a lot more money by renting instead of selling.)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ok now, i've got a nokia6600 cellphone, i've got a big 16:9 TV, i've got a dolby digital sound system by Jamo and a top of the line Sony LCD-Projector, also a multimedia Dell PC.
yeah, i like that kind of stuff. :D
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Montana »

jsluder wrote:
Montana wrote:And don't get me started about how ugly the cell phone towers are...
Yeah, they're ugly... but they can also be profitable.
I guess that's the bottom line...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Montana wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Yeah, they're ugly... but they can also be profitable.
I guess that's the bottom line...
Yep. I still cringe every time I see those three ugly towers on top of the ridge, but I appreciate what the extra income means for my parents.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

amar wrote:hey, does anyone wanna send me a text message? that would be cool, here's my number:

+41763683957

waiting..
You know, I would amar, but I have no idea if I can even send Text messages with my phone. You could try to send one to mine, except I have no idea what my country code is :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

A cellphone is a necessary evil in my business.
I'm currently using more than 1,200 minutes a month. Many of the calls are short 5-10 minutes. I get headaches when on extended conversations so I'm sure there's a health risk with overexposure to microwave emissions.
Hands-free kits and earpieces seem to get in the way in a construction environment so I'm unable to use them successfully.
Nothing seems to hurt more than my tennis elbow when I finally pry a phone from my ear and straighten my arm out!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Tony wrote: Nothing seems to hurt more than my tennis elbow when I finally pry a phone from my ear and straighten my arm out!
I get that using my landline phone... I've been known to have conversations that last 3 or 4 hours. :o I love my unlimited long-distance. <g>
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, I don't have a landline here at home, so I'm sending this via my iPAQ PDA connected via bluetooth to my cellphone. Without the technology I'd be chiffless and email-less at home.

Plus I work for a corporation that makes mobile network infrastructure, so the more folks who use the technology the further I can keep the wolf from the door! Guess that makes me a tad biased in favour of mobile phones!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

All my family have cell phones. I do need one for my work and as I am always anxious about my family, I'm glad to be able to join the kids when they are out of the house. Usually I do not carry it around, I rather leave it in my car. It is connected to the music system and has a mike, so I don't need to hold it in my hands when driving (that would be illegal here anyway). Currently I have a Nokia 6600 and I like to use it for making pictures, like this one:
It can also make short video clips and sound clips, but they are of very poor quality. The images or other files can be transmitted to my PC by bluetooth, very easy and fast. Another nice gadget is the ability to use real sound as call signals. Actually I use a fanfare played by Canadian Brass, that's really cool. Text messages and Multimedia messages (with pictures/videos/sound clips attached to the message) are easy to do. I don't like textmessaging, it's rather a teenie thing. But my daughters can type at an amazing speed, it's all a matter of practice.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Claudine, I love your car, and you live in an impossibly beautiful place.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

It seems that every time I turn on the TV (here in glorious central New Jersey) we are beset by ads of mobile phones and their matching calling plans, most of which are not modestly priced. I guess people out here have a lot of disposable income . . . between SUV payments and property taxes and moving up to that $600,000 house . . . oh, don't get me started. What is irritating is that, like many of the nonessentials, someone plants it in our heads that they are essentials. What ever happened to kids carrying pagers . . . I think that started a year or two after I graduated high school, and they seemed good enough to keep a kid's whereabouts known.
I do have a cell phone, but it's a prepaid phone. I pay for a yearly plan with about 300 minutes, keep my phone turned off and in my pocket book, and rarely use it. There's no text message on it, or caller ID or anything. It's good to know if I need it, it's there.
Otherwise, I hate the things and can't stand to see people holding conversations in the middle of a store or while they're waiting on line.
And now there's talk of lifting the ban on cell phone use on airplanes. Now there's another reason not to fly.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

mamakash wrote: And now there's talk of lifting the ban on cell phone use on airplanes. Now there's another reason not to fly.
I seem to recall reading that there is a small chance that mobile phone signals may affect in- flight navigational systems and this is why they are banned.

I don't have time now to check it out so maybe some of our more technical minded folks can weigh in on this one.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

I rarely use my cell phone in public. And I agree that people can be obnoxious with their public/private conversations. BUT...I also think that a big part of all this bellyaching we do about things like cell phones is just a sort of collective phlegmaticism. Humans have a tendency to invent new forms of music/communication/etc at a speed that's faster than the rate at which we can comfortably accept cultural changes. So we gripe a while until it becomes an accepted norm.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

What bugs me about cell phones in public places is that I used to really enjoy talking to strangers. You know, in line at the grocery (though my town's small enough that there are no strangers there) or in the airport or at the station.

Now, though, when I hear a cheery "Hello!" behind me and turn to answer, I find that the person wasn't talking to me. :( And I was looking forward to a friendly chat. Oh well. :oops:

Maybe I'm more insecure than I imagined, and need strangers' smiles to boost my self-esteem. Are we still allowed to smile, anyhow?

Jennie
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

emmline wrote:Claudine, I love your car, and you live in an impossibly beautiful place.
hi Emmline,
certainly my little green froggie is the loveliest car under the sun :wink: but the place is not that beautiful. There are ugly spots as well, motorways and factories and all that. But as I only take pictures of the nice places, you can not make yourself an objective idea of the whole country by just looking at my pics.

Back to cell phones. I'm not a slave of my phone, just use it when I want or need to. But I think it is a very useful thing. It has also an address book and a dictionary with several languages. I can receive and send e-mails from there, also access the internet (although I never do it, too complicated with that small screen). And while the pictures are certainly less good than those made with a real digital cam, they are still good enough and the advantage is that the big cam is usually at home while the Nokia is either in my car or in my pocket, so always ready for use for those unexpected moments. I LOVE MY NOKIA.