OT.I Don't Have

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

boy, i can tell that most of you are not europeans. we are all mobile-crazy. :D

oh, i should perhaps correct myself, i can tell that most of you do not live in europe..
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We all have one. I'm getting my land line shut off.
I leave it off unless I'm expecting an important call or I need to call someone. I cannot stand talking on the phone so out of my 600 monthly minutes I usually use about 20.

I like certain aspects of it. If I wipe out on the ice, hit a deer or break down I can call someone without walking in the cold for miles. My girls can reach me when they need to.

I used to hate them but they are handy if not abused. There's no excuse to have to be running your mouth constantly. If you "need" to use it that's one thing but being a flibbertygibbet is idiocy. Here's the basic content of most conversations I hear in public: "He said, she said, he said, she said, he said, she said......." No doubt they drive SUV's.

A couple weeks ago, at a restaraunt, I notice two young folks obviously on a date. They were both talking on their cell phones!!!! :boggle: I don't know if they had been dating for awhile and I've been out of the dating scene for a long time but if I were on a first date and my companion started jabbering on a cell phone, the date would be over.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

http://901i.nttdocomo.co.jp/index.html

This, in my opinion, is no longer a mobile "phone" but a mobile "PC". I kind of hate those "mobile phones". I never email anyone or record stupid videos on my cell. I use PC and webcam for that. 8) 8)
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Tak_the_whistler

Flyingcursor wrote:A couple weeks ago, at a restaraunt, I notice two young folks obviously on a date. They were both talking on their cell phones!!!! :boggle: I don't know if they had been dating for awhile and I've been out of the dating scene for a long time but if I were on a first date and my companion started jabbering on a cell phone, the date would be over.
Similar scenes can be seen anywhere in Asia, too; be it South Korea, Japan or China. I think the same goes for the Western countries. In fact many of friends of mine do it...it's kind of a normality nowadays, it seems. People can no longer live without cell phones. There's even a comic book in which people fall in love through txt messaging. But this isn't a laughing matter -- some people get married after having met in an online chat room!

About a year ago a recruiter from some silly company told me that, when I said to him that I don't use my cell much, "You won't be able to survive in the business world if you can't use mobile phones." Heck, I won't be applying for your godforsaken company. I wish I could've kicked him in the nuts. I really hate the conception that you can't get along with people or earn some money if you ain't got mobiles.

Or maybe I'm stone-aged.

In a subway I see many people "playing with themselves" (oops, I said it!), tapping furiously into their mobile phones. No wonder people are getting stupidier in Japan
<><
Tak
--- Lewis
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

:twisted: Puts on tin helmet, peeps over parapet and shouts

:x AND WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO LEAVE THEIR PHONES TURNED ON AT SESSIONS? :x

ducks back down, moves along trench to safe location, laughs trollishly. :twisted:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I'm not fond of any phones, but got my first cell phone several yrs ago when I learned that the number of pay phones was declining rapidly.

FYI - I understand that in January cell phone numbers will, for the first time, be available to telemarketers. Just think, your annoying cell phone can go off at the most inopportune time and when you answer it, it's a recorded message sexual aides, siding for your house or a really exciting opportunity to invest in penny stocks. And you get to pay for the call!!!!

Below is a link to the Federal Trade Commission's link for their cell phone do not call link.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
Tak_the_whistler

dwinterfield, we have something way scary-er here in Japan, and it's called "One-ring call" (literary translates "One-ring-and-hang-up call"). Your mobile phone only rings once. You MUST NEVER pick it up -- it leads to some sort of sex industry and they charge you a hideous amount of money (sometimes over a grand) for answering the automated call. At first I thought this was an urban myth but it seems to be true. Scary stuff.
<><
Tak
--- Lewis
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Tak_the_whistler wrote: I wish I could've kicked him in the nuts.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

People seem to have this idea that WORK should consume your entire existence. Commercials constantly hammer the point that if you aren't thinking about work every waking second you cannot survive. Gotta have some kind of electronic gizmo at all times.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

dwinterfield wrote:I'm not fond of any phones, but got my first cell phone several yrs ago when I learned that the number of pay phones was declining rapidly.

FYI - I understand that in January cell phone numbers will, for the first time, be available to telemarketers. Just think, your annoying cell phone can go off at the most inopportune time and when you answer it, it's a recorded message sexual aides, siding for your house or a really exciting opportunity to invest in penny stocks. And you get to pay for the call!!!!

Below is a link to the Federal Trade Commission's link for their cell phone do not call link.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

:lol: Nano will be pleased!

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=24455
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: OT.I Don't Have

Post by Walden »

Phil Hardy wrote:Am I the only person here NOT to have a mobile phone.
I HATE THEM.
Many years ago when they first came out I tried one and after 6 months my head and jaw were throbbing like I had absesses.
I got rid of it,the pains went away and I have never had one since.
I see people totally obsessed with them,drive while useing them, use them while out with friends for a meal,I meen,is that antisocial and dangerous or what?
So.....am I the only person here without one?

Life IS GREAT without one,I can walk my dog in peace,drive in peace,work in peace,..........in peace.

A friend of my wife just got a bill for $2000 for just one months worth of calls.

Non-mobiled-Phil.
I think I have a mobile phone, but no account for it.
Reasonable person
Walden
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I've carried one since my first heart attack. :D

I rarely use it though, and the only ones who know the number are my family. In fact, about three months ago I dropped the account I'd had with AT&T for five years and bought my wife and I prepaid phones. With the old plan we were paying almost ninety dollars a month for two phones. We had tons of free minutes, of which we each used about ten minutes a month. Now, we have zero free minutes, but we spend only about ten dollars a month for the both of us for air time. :D :D :D
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jkrazy52 wrote:But don't send me any text messages -- I wouldn't know how to answer at all! :P

~Judy
HA! Just for that, I'm going to figure out how to do it, and send you a Text message! :wink: But of course, my sending is contingent on figuring out how to do it....I wouldn't worry about a barrage of text messages any time in the near future based on that. I'm anything but mechanically inclined :P

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Text messaging, though occasionally useful, is a pain in the patootie in practice. (unless you do it online from a computer.)
For each letter or punctuation mark, you must tap the correct number the correct number of times--eg, for "a" tap 2 once. for "b" tap 2 twice. for "c" tap 2 thrice. etc. Then wait a second before tapping your next letter or you'll change the one you just entered. You learn to use shorthand quickly.

Another reason why they're useful in a house full of teens--they can train their friends to call the cell--otherwise Mom (who seems to be the only person capable of answering a phone,) is functioning as a receptionist.
Paul

Post by Paul »

this just reminded me of something funny. When I was in college back in the mid to late 80s, many will remember, Cellphones were still a novelty and it was a really big deal if you had one. There was this one guy in my fraternity that would drive around campus all the time talking away on his phone. What most of us knew, but he didn't, was that the little town didn't have cellphone service at the time. :lol: Plus it turned out he wouldn't have known because the phone was a fake. :lol:

Best,
Paul
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hey, does anyone wanna send me a text message? that would be cool, here's my number:

+41763683957

waiting..