OT.I Don't Have

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT.I Don't Have

Post by Phil Hardy »

Am I the only person here NOT to have a mobile phone.
I HATE THEM.
Many years ago when they first came out I tried one and after 6 months my head and jaw were throbbing like I had absesses.
I got rid of it,the pains went away and I have never had one since.
I see people totally obsessed with them,drive while useing them, use them while out with friends for a meal,I meen,is that antisocial and dangerous or what?
So.....am I the only person here without one?

Life IS GREAT without one,I can walk my dog in peace,drive in peace,work in peace,..........in peace.

A friend of my wife just got a bill for $2000 for just one months worth of calls.

Non-mobiled-Phil.
missy

Post by missy »

we have one, but only use it when we are travelling (and even then, it's still usually turned off unless we need to make a call).

We got one for my son only when he started driving. If he goes over minutes, he has to pay for the difference. His has unlimited text messaging, so I tell him to tell his friends to use THAT instead.

I honestly do not have that much to TALK about!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

To be honest, the only reason I have one at all is because I get mine through work for free. Don't know if I'd bother otherwise.

I don't use it all that often, but it's proven very convenient at times, even crucial, especially since my home computer isn't on broadband and I don't have a separate phone line for it.
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I'm with you, Phil. In fact, I am in staunch opposition to mobile phones. I think we are in dire need of slowing down our lives, enjoying where we are, without having a cordless leash attached to our bodies. I heard a staggering statistic that essentially said a significant portion of people you see walking around or driving with a mobile phone stuck to their ear are actually not talking to anyone.

I did a study report on cellular phones and their affect on the human body. I looked at different kinds of research and some of the frequencies these phones are at, are getting fairly close to a range that has been known to cause cancer. Just goes to show you, do the big companies really care about the customer, or they out to get a big buck....reminds me of the tobacco industry.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Though most of us got through adolescence without them, they are great for peace of mind when one's adolescent children are out and about--they can reach and be reached without my being stuck in one place. My spouse does not have one, would not know how to use one, would not recharge it, and would lose it.
edit to add: Once he fished through my purse for the phone, pulled out a palm pilot, and tried to dial.
Last edited by emmline on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

We got cell phones a couple of years ago as a safety precaution because my wife has a 1.5 hour daily commute (each way). Since then, we've cancelled our land-line phone because the only people using it were the telemarketers.

I can still walk the dog in peace, drive in peace, work in peace, eat dinner in peace... I just turn the cell phone off when I don't want to be interrupted. (And I NEVER use it while driving.)

The "off" switch works great for the phone, the TV, the computer, etc.. They're there when we want or need them, but they don't run our lives. Technology is a good thing, but only when used appropriately.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm like Nano; I have a cell phone but only because they provide one through my work. Most of the time, it is off. It only came in handy once when I was stuck on a mountain top with some equipment that was giving me trouble - better than driving all the way down to a phone. But 99% of the time, I'd rather not deal with it.
I do think the people who can't drive without a phone stuck to their ear need a sanity check. Maybe the guy who developed the remote control that turns off nearby TVs should come up with one that zaps out nearby cell phones...
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:_BY- ... ap/+&hl=en
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

*quietly raises hand*

:) Sara (as in, yes, I like the silly contraptions)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

No mobile phone for me or my wife One unfortunate side effect of the mobile phone boom is that there are far fewer public pay phones than there used to be, they are far more complicated to use and (in the US) they cost 50 cents for a local call. The last time I tried to use one I gave up after the third try. Maybe that's a good argument for getting a mobile.....Nah, not yet anyway.
Mike
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have to have one for work. The company pays for it so thats cool. The only calls I get on it are my wife, mom and sister. The only calls I get otherwise are work and my district rep.

Does my wife have one? You bet. One time she got lost on a dark road, panicked hit a curb trying to get turned around. She ended up with a flat tire and had a very hard time finding someone to let her use a phone. It really shook her up. She got one the next day and has had one since. She uses it regularly for her business and stuff but I think they're a pretty good thing to have if only for emergencies.

Best,
Paul
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

well, in europe text messaging is extremly popular. yes, i got a nokia cellphone, and i text message a lot.

mobiled-amar

:D
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I DON'T have a mobile phone. I don't WANT a mobile phone.
Might as well have a mobile tracking device fastened around your ankle.
I almost got rid of my T.V. last year too.
Hmmph. what's wrong with cave paintings???( :wink: )
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I have no cell phone. Well, actually, I do sort of have a cell phone. It cost me three dollars in the toy section but looks very real if held up to the ear in the official cell phone stance. And it has a nice ring.

I carry it with me and use it in the airport when I want to play "Bidnessman." I can sit next to another bidnessman who is talking obnoxiously on one, then I make it ring and have a loud conversation of my own.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I have a mobile phone. It's a few years old. It's been in the glove box of the car with no battery charge or call credit since last winter. I hate it. I hate all cell phones. SMS culture drives me crazy. Habitual text messaging is (IMHO, with all due respect to anyone who may love it) mostly for fad-morons.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I do NOT have one. I think I'm the only 21 year old in the US that doesn't. The idea of an electronic leash does not seem appealing to me. How did people ever get along without them :roll: ?
No I'm not returning...