OT (very) A snack chip question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

OT (very) A snack chip question

Post by Walden »

Are the Guys brand off the market? I seem to find little reference to them online. I think they were owned by Wise, and had a large line of various types of salty snacks. These were advertised by Ernest, in the mid 1980's (who hawked all sorts of products before going into movies and dying too young). I never cared for Guys chips... they tasted like Wise, but my curiosity is raised and I thought I'd ask.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Walden, we've got a big board in the corridor of all of our "competitors" at work - I'll look tomorrow and see if there's a "Guys" bag on there. I remember doing comparitive analysis on them in the 1980's, but we don't do that type of testing "in house" anymore.

That "big bad" company that has a "F" and a "L" in their name has run a lot of the small, local chippers out of business. Others have changed to making "gourmet" type chips (ever seen the "Terra" brand made out of all different kinds of root veggies?). And now, there's the whole "low carb" thing with some pretty strange things being substituted for potato.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Never heard of Guys. Perhaps it was a southern thing?
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I've heard of guys.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Guy's Foods was a midwest thing. Check out the can -- Kansas City, Omaha, Wichita, Tulsa.

I think they closed down about three or four years ago.

Here's a link with a little info -- http://solo23.abac.com/billrobert/EOG/EOG12Story05.html
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Here in SW Michigan we used to have Be-Mo's. Then a fire destroyed the factory. I don't even like potato (potatoe) chips so... meh.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

12 ounces? :o Wow, you folks really like your crisps (chips) don't you.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Seems like they were out about the time Charle's Chips were out. In the big tin container too. I remember Wise brand too, but in small bags out of machines.
Hey the US is getting a bad rap for having not enough chip flavors. If you look, there are actually dozens. I saw no less than ten at the supermarket yesterday. Vinegar and salt. Dill. Several BarBQ flavors. Hot n Spicy,Flaming hot, Sour cream and onion, cheddar, ketsup,chili,jalepeno, and several others I fail to remember. We were a bit slowwer to adopt as many flavors though. That doesn't include the varieties of corn chips. Or puffed baked chips. Or the gourmet "kettle cooked" chips. Lots of those too.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, the F and the L chips were definitely better, IMO.

Yeah, they were out of Ohio or somewhere, and were regional in the mid-west and the plains states. They used that in some of their advertising.

The old cans were often used as trash cans.
Reasonable person
Walden
Steven

Post by Steven »

vomitbunny wrote:Seems like they were out about the time Charle's Chips were out. In the big tin container too.
I remember when we used to get Charles' Chips delivered to our house in the big container. I was pretty little and didn't really like them all that much, but I thought it was pretty cool that they brought them right to our house.
vomitbunny wrote:Hey the US is getting a bad rap for having not enough chip flavors. If you look, there are actually dozens. I saw no less than ten at the supermarket yesterday. Vinegar and salt. Dill. Several BarBQ flavors. Hot n Spicy,Flaming hot, Sour cream and onion, cheddar, ketsup,chili,jalepeno, and several others I fail to remember.
Yeah, like potato flavor! They still have those if you look hard enough...

:-)
Steven
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Sure, I remember Guys back when I was a kid in Missouri. I don't remember seeing them around lately, though. Seems like they were a very greasy potato chip, if I recall correctly.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Golden Flake touts itself as The Potato Chips of the South. I just had a bag. They're good. :)
missy

Post by missy »

don't see any Guys bags around, and there's no one from that GBU to ask (they are all at their Christmas party).

If we are gonna start talking "great" chips (and. yes, I know these are technically "crisps" internationally), locally we have Mikesells (I love the bacon flavor) and then theres Zapp's Crawtators from LA.

Then there's the technical wonders I work with every day!!!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com