Very OT: Share your musical tastes other than ITM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

My second love next to Irish music is flamenco. Not that namby pamby Ottmar Liebert/Struntz and Farah stuff. I mean the stuff with the singers who sing with their whole bodies like they are dying. Unfortunately I don't have any mp3s to share but it's not hard to find on the web.
Mike
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

besides ITM, i mostly listen to Old Time, Bluegrass, New Acoustic, Django, Afro-Cuban, Hawaiian, Delta Blues... and Bach, of course.

still occasionally give my old prog, fusion, bop and post-bop sides a spin.

i can appreciate pretty much any kind of music, but i really dislike stuff that's too commercial or over-produced, which means i usually don't listen to the radio, watch awards shows or buy anything on a major label.
there is no end to the walking
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Will O'B wrote:Ok, but no snickering. Give me a good old fashioned Gregorian Chant and I'm in heaven. When the monks are in rare form after a day of stomping grapes, and the acoustics in the monastary are just right "Agnus Dei" or "Salve Regina" really does it for me. I don't know, but somehow I think that Walden is with me on this one.

Will O'Ban
Thank goodness someone else said it first!

Chant does it for me, too. It's one of the few things I can sing. It puts you plop dab into the realm of the Almighty, sure enough.

I like most everything, with the exception of rap and anything else that sounds like family arguments set to rhythm.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Here in Chez Dubhlinn,Bob Dylan reigns supreme.
His lyrical brilliance is unsurpassed in modern music and he can wring more emotion from one mangled syllable than most singer/songwriters can draw out of a whole album.

Putting him to one side for a moment the regulars on my CD player would be Joni Mitchell,Tom Waits,Neil Young,Leonard Cohen and a fair bit of James Taylor.

Blues players like Buddy Guy,Freddie King,B.B.King and John Mayall get a lot of playing also.

Guitarists like Doc Watson,Mississippi John Hurt,John McLaughlin, Django Rheinhart,Martin Simpson and Bert Jansch/John Renbourne get a lot of playing as well.

Bonnie Riatt,Ricky Scaggs,Emmy Lou Harris,
Dolly Parton(a great songwriter!),Little Feat,Steely Dan,Stones and the Allman Brothers all figure very strongly in the CD collection as well.

Among the Irish mob would be Mary Black,Dolores Keane,Altan,Bothies,Chieftains,Christy Moore, Planxty,Moving Hearts,Paul Brady(the folky stuff), Dubliners,Tommy Peoples,Matt Molloy,Sean McGuire,La Bergin,Paddy Keenan and many of the "older " school of ITM.

While I'm at it I would have to mention Paco De Lucia,Stephan Grappelli,Charlie Parker,Miles Davis,Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan,The Blind boys of Alabama,Taj Mahal,Loudon Wainwright,Joan Baez,Puccini,Bach's Cello stuff and a lot of Hendrix.

There.That covers the bones of my 300+ Cd collection.I am sure that over the next twenty minutes or so many more names will spring to mind but I am just in from work and the little Dublin brain is tired and in need of coffee and cigs.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Will O'B wrote:Ok, but no snickering. Give me a good old fashioned Gregorian Chant and I'm in heaven. When the monks are in rare form after a day of stomping grapes, and the acoustics in the monastary are just right "Agnus Dei" or "Salve Regina" really does it for me. I don't know, but somehow I think that Walden is with me on this one.

Will O'Ban
I don't know about Walden, but I'm sure with you on this. In fact, today I was off work sick and guess what I listened to? Gregorian Chants!

I love almost all music. ITM, and Scots music are particular favorites as are Classical Baroque ,all forms of Blues, true Old Time music, and Plainsong Chants. My personal recording collection runs the gamut from Aaron Copeland to Metallica, Hendrix and Janis to the Dorsey's, Pavrotti and Christian Praise music.

The only music I do not personally own is country(those George Jones beer drinking tunes belong to my husband) and jazz. I can appreciate those who excel in both those forms but they just do not appeal to me.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wanderer wrote:Heavier:
Korn: http://www.korntv.com/
Rob Zombie: http://www.robzombie.com/ (just gotta love that Dragula song)
Metallica, back before they didn't suck.

Less heavy:
Aerosmith
Scorpions

So non-heavy it practically floats:
Hansons..Mmm Bop! Now there's a song that has flava!

Ok, so I don't really like the Hansons. I just put it up there for "compare and contrast" :lol:
Oh my. One of my daughters is a real Korn fan. She almost got "moshed" in the pit at the second of their concerts she went to while she was in college. But, I guess she comes by it honestly, since the last concert I went to because I wanted to was Metallica.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Hmmm...other musical tastes....

Rhythm and blues
Motown/soul
60s classic rock - Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Chambers Brothers, Dylan, etc.
Some jazz - generally hot; not too cool or too out the window

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Stine

Post by Stine »

I can listen to just about anything. Music in general is just lovely.

Besides Irish Trad., I'm very fond of Irish flavoured rock. Flogging Molly, Siobhan, you name it. <3
Funky industrial music like Rasputina, Dead Can Dance, Enigma, Radiohead(industrial? Eh?) Every now and then when I'm moody I'll listen to angsty music like APC, TOOl and Jack Off Jill, but I don't usually listen to those on a regular basis.
BOY CHOIRS. Libera is my favorite, a wonderful British boys choir. I like Renaissance and Medieval aged music as well....

And yes. Huzzah. Music.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

captain beefheart, harry partch, wynonie harris, schola cantorum baseliensis, hatfield and the north, egg, national health, henry cow, gentle giant, nrbq, frank zappa, area, dieguito el cigala,
thelonious monk, charles mingus, eric dolphy, anthony braxton, charles wuroinen, soft machine, magma, herbie hancock, maceo parker. did i miss ashlee simpson?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just about everything besides kiddie pop and modern country.
Especially fond of big band, swing, jazz, bluegrass, folk, and of course ITM.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm