new flute!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

new flute!!

Post by michael_coleman »

Well, I broke down and bought a brand new keyless blackwood flute from Jon yesterday. That means Christmas came early, and it plays and looks beautiful. I was playing it a bit again last night before I bought it and I am so impressed and excited. I just can't wait until he gets his key tools and starts in on those...

Its really nice to know that I played the flute I was going to buy and that I had quite some time to try it out beforehand. I have noted in other posts how hard it is to buy a flute, especially if you haven't spent a good amount of time with it. Its also great that he just lives right down the road and offered to clean it up anytime.

The place where I usually post my pictures is down now, so I will post hopefully at the beginning of next week.

Thanks, Jon.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

Good for you, Jon is working on a flute for me as well, like you, I was so impressed with his work and approach, and after having played flutes that he made, could not hold myself from ordering, it was not the price that drove me to place the order, but I don't no of a better flute for the money then this one.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Who is "Jon" who is making these flutes?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

A distinguished flutemaker who appreciates the beauty and workmanship of Monzani flutes.
phcook

Post by phcook »

it was not the price that drove me to place the order, but I don't no of a better flute for the money then this one.
Sure, but what is the price?
Breizh soner
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Jon what?
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

GalegoMan wrote:Jon what?
People have been asking me this for years! :P
phcook wrote: Sure, but what is the price?
I am selling cocobollo flutes with brass tuning slides for $380. You can see a sample at:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &start=240
Jon C.
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

Wow. Nice flutes! Mr. Jon C. :o
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Its not much of a picture, but it gets the idea across:

http://members2.photofun.com/mburdett02 ... F75E%2Ejpg

or the keyless flute

http://www.photofun.com/IM/Templates/Ph ... llID=92383
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vewwwy sexy!
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

Hey Jon - Do any of your flutes every show up at the sessions as Finn McCools?
michael_coleman

I guess that would require Jon getting down to Finn McCools. I have been known to go down there once in a blue moon, I should be playing at a new pub in Fullerton soon...I'll let you know...
eilam

Post by eilam »

wolvy - when I get mine, your welcome to come by, if not, sooner or later I'm see at Dargon in S.B.
bang

Post by bang »

let me add my voice to the chorus of accolades! i just received a delrin Rudall flute from Jon yesterday & have been playing it every spare minute since. (this was the prototype for the blackwood Rudall.) it is amazingly good: beautiful, sweet high end; low D & E notes that you can blow as loud & hard as you could ever want; huge dynamic range generally. just a superb flute!

if anyone is interested in a "just for fun" sound clip of this flute, here's 24 seconds of "pseudo-blues, free improvisation" that managed to sneak into my computer while i was playing. it shows just one small (& strange?) aspect of what Jon's flute is capable of. also, the flute sounds better in person than on the recording. all faults are those of the player. (if you squint your ears just right, you can almost hear a rhythm. :-) ~380kb, 128kbps mp3:

<link removed - see below>

enjoy! /dan

<edited to reflect web host cleanup. PM if it's missed.>
Last edited by bang on Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael_coleman

I almost purchased that flute, it sure does sound good...thats for sure...