Oh Caaanadahhhhh ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:That package was meant as a JOKE, people. It's a novelty gift. It was never intended to be used seriously, and I seriously doubt it ever is.
Could someone bring me up to speed, here? What package?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Steven wrote:Frankly I think this whole deal about pretending to be Canadian is pretty pitiful. Frankly, the whole thing is overblown. It's not like they're going to be attacked for being American. My wife and parents and I were in Rome last year, just before the war started. The place was full of "Pace" (= "peace") flags, but we didn't get a single comment from anyone about us being from the US or blaming us for any foreign policy.

:roll:
Steven
You do of course mention that was *before* the war... some of the occurances since have many not being particularly proud of their national citizenship at present... I can't blame them, particularly.

I do love my country, I just don't trust its government or think that everything done in its name is above reproach. I am still an American... maybe not so proud as I might have felt at other times, but still admitting to be.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Two of my six sisters were born in America..
They travel on American passports..
They never mention America..
They perceive themselves as Irish..
The other four never have any problems on their travels..
There is a moral here somewhere...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

lesl wrote:
...the saying going around in Britain during WWII, complaining about the Yanks...

I don't think its right to denigrate soldiers and poor taste to promote this.
They are the bravest of all and are due respect not ridicule. My dad was
one of those American soldiers stationed in Britain for WW2 and he was
none of those things in that quote. I'm sure many others also were not.

As for the point of this thread though, there's actually a travel advisory for
Americans to not display their country of origin!
http://travel.state.gov/travel/abroad_pub_safetrip.html
"Use covered luggage tags to avoid casual observation of your identity or
nationality."
But to pretend Canadian? a bit over the top!

Lesl
The unstated point of the whole thread seems to be "generalizations are inaccurate." Not all Americans are obnoxious, but some are. Not all Americans abuse prisoners, but some do.

One of our problems may be not that there aren't plenty of good people, but that the bad ones aren't identified soon enough.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

mvhplank wrote:...the saying going around in Britain during WWII, complaining about the Yanks...
My understanding of this saying is that it was said by a man, not a woman. I always understood that British women welcomed the American soldiers, in many cases forming strong lasting relationships, and returning to the US as "war brides".

The man was complaining because the British troops, after years of rationing, didn't have the same gifts of chocolate, chewing gum, cigarettes etc. to share with the women (and children), and also lacking the warmth and natural generosity of the Americans, often missed out on dating the women when a bold breezy Yank stepped in.

I may be wrong, but this was the source of the expression "overpaid, oversexed, and over here" as I have always known it.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Martin Milner wrote:I may be wrong, but this was the source of the expression "overpaid, oversexed, and over here" as I have always known it.
...I have to say that it is still a humorous statement all the same, and after all of these years. :D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

And the nylons, Martin, don't forget the nylons!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

GaryKelly wrote:And the nylons, Martin, don't forget the nylons!
True! I forgot the GIs got nylons in their kit. Still can't work out why... :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:
Redwolf wrote:That package was meant as a JOKE, people. It's a novelty gift. It was never intended to be used seriously, and I seriously doubt it ever is.
In the original article, they talk about Americans sporting maple leaf T-shirts, assorted Canadian patches and books on "How to speak Canadian." All of these are actually items in a kit marketed as a novelty item by a Canadian firm, which was profiled on CNN just a week or so ago. This kit was intended to be a joke, and I seriously doubt that many Americans are actually running around Europe pretending to be Canadians.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
In the original article, they talk about Americans sporting maple leaf T-shirts, assorted Canadian patches and books on "How to speak Canadian." All of these are actually items in a kit marketed as a novelty item by a Canadian firm, which was profiled on CNN just a week or so ago. This kit was intended to be a joke, and I seriously doubt that many Americans are actually running around Europe pretending to be Canadians.

Redwolf
Thanks. Every time I try to access the link, I get redirected to a default search options list. /me shakes his fist

How to speak Canadian, eh?

Oops. There I go again.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Not being in appearance just like the stereotype of Americans, when we lived in the Philippines, we were sometimes mistaken for other nationalities, because we were heavy-set, squinty eyed, and a little dark. However, I think that in Europe and such places, Canadian is the nationality that an American is most likely to be able to pull off, as Canada is the country most like the United States, in culture, ethnicity, and accent. It works both ways. This is why so many Canadian actors are able to play Americans on television and in film. This is not to say there are no differences, there is a very long history of important distinctions that separate the two countries, but, not unlike the countries of Europe, the U.S.A. and Canada have a lot that unites us.
Reasonable person
Walden
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

To add to what Walden has said regarding our similarities, the USA and Canada that is, I have often been amused at the perception that Canada is much different than the US. Sure we are have 1/10 th the population and have different forms of government but by and large the majority of Canadians descend from the same stock as Americans. Ironically, my ancestors were founding families of New England arriving in 1630 soon after the Mayflower. Some ended up in Canada after a few hundred years. Other ancestors arrived in Canada from England and Ireland and Scotland and settled in Canada and stayed. Both branches originated in some of the same counties of the UK. How different are we really? And is it really any colder here than your northern states? Nope. Not unless you travel a consider distance north. Just some thoughts to consider.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Joni Mitchells maternal grandmother came from Co. Cork.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:Joni Mitchells maternal grandmother came from Co. Cork.

Slan,
D.
do they say "eh" is Co. Cork?

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

izzarina wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Joni Mitchells maternal grandmother came from Co. Cork.

Slan,
D.
do they say "eh" is Co. Cork?

:lol:
:-?
Sorry Izz but I am not getting this at all, at all. :-?

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats