I can hear!!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
happyturkeyman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I can hear!!!!!

Post by happyturkeyman »

After pulling about 4 cc's of wax from each ear, my hearing tests came out between 15 and 30 decibels better on varying frequencies. I essentially went from mild hearing loss to superhuman hearing. If it gets this bad again, I may need surgery to fix my vascular tybe or some medical thingie in the ear like that.

10 decibels decrease is a tenth as loud, so improving by 20 db means I can hear sounds at a given frequency that are 1/100th as loud as before.

I picked up my whistle and played and I think I almost had a seizure from sensory overload. WOW! And since when did paper make so much NOISE?!?!?!?!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Wow! I can only imagine what that must feel like, that drastic a change all at once.

That is so great--I'm happy for you! :)

--James
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

:party: It's like waking up to discover you've grown a foot!

Edit: in either hight or number of appendages :D
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Due to an explosion where I formerly worked, I lost both my hearing and the use of both arms for a short time. Then somebody told me to take my fingers out of my ears.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

vomitbunny wrote:Due to an explosion where I formerly worked, I lost both my hearing and the use of both arms for a short time. Then somebody told me to take my fingers out of my ears.
:lol: :lol: hilarious!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

vomitbunny wrote:Due to an explosion where I formerly worked, I lost both my hearing and the use of both arms for a short time. Then somebody told me to take my fingers out of my ears.
Good ole' Vomit Bunny.

BTW HappyTurkeyMan, a bulb syringe used once a week or so can really help prevent that kind of build up. A waterpik works wonders as well though I suppose it could risk eardrum damage if spritzed right on the membrane. I doubt you could get the doo-dad in that far anyway before it became painful.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Dana

Post by Dana »

A few drops of Debrox (from the pharmacy) or olive oil can be instilled in the ear, and flushed out a few minutes later with a bulb syringe. The water pic approach is now considered to be relatively risky by the medical community. I wouldn't try to use one on myself if I valued my hearing. :o

Dana
aderyn_du

Re: OT: I can hear!!!!!

Post by aderyn_du »

happyturkeyman wrote:After pulling about 4 cc's of wax from each ear, my hearing tests came out between 15 and 30 decibels better on varying frequencies. I essentially went from mild hearing loss to superhuman hearing. If it gets this bad again, I may need surgery to fix my vascular tybe or some medical thingie in the ear like that.

Two words for you, good man: ear coning

It really does work!! :)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
TomB

Re: OT: I can hear!!!!!

Post by TomB »

aderyn_du wrote:
happyturkeyman wrote:After pulling about 4 cc's of wax from each ear, my hearing tests came out between 15 and 30 decibels better on varying frequencies. I essentially went from mild hearing loss to superhuman hearing. If it gets this bad again, I may need surgery to fix my vascular tybe or some medical thingie in the ear like that.

Two words for you, good man: ear coning

It really does work!! :)
Does this really work? I've read a lot about it, but...

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Hi Tom! I've used it on myself, my kids, and on my ex-husband (well, while we were still married), and had really great results with improving hearing and sinus problems. It's much easier, and safer, if you have someone doing it for you rather than trying to do it on oneself.

You can purchase the ear cones (aka candles) in health food stores. Give it a whirl and see for yourself!! :)
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
TomB

Post by TomB »

aderyn_du wrote:Hi Tom! I've used it on myself, my kids, and on my ex-husband (well, while we were still married), and had really great results with improving hearing and sinus problems. It's much easier, and safer, if you have someone doing it for you rather than trying to do it on oneself.

You can purchase the ear cones (aka candles) in health food stores. Give it a whirl and see for yourself!! :)
It helps with sinus problems also?? I guess that makes some sense. Not to venture to far OT on this OT thread, but I have sinus problems every night. Typically, I'm fine during the day, but I am congested EVERY single night. When the sun goes down, I get congested- guess I need to move to the land of the midnight sun, eh? :)

Thanks for the info. Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

happyturkeyman, you're really joking about the 4cc of wax from each ear... aren't you??
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I remember my daughter having a problem with ear wax when she was young. The nurse used a device somewhat similar to a water pic, but it was not a water pic. Perhaps that is where people have gotten the idea of using a water pic. They device they used basically did the same thing the bulb did. It made it easier to keep up the pumping action though. Didn't really appear to use more pressure than a bulb would have generated though.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tony wrote:happyturkeyman, you're really joking about the 4cc of wax from each ear... aren't you??
I don't know from measures, but some years back a physician flushed my ears with warm water, and out of the left ear popped a reddish pebble that looked as big as a Buick. I was surprised. The right ear was less productive. Nowadays I do the ear candling if I need it, which isn't often. Besides, it's literally a pain in the neck.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I had my ears flushed several times when I was younger. The thing I remember most is the the feeling that the water being flushed into my ear was going to come out of my eyeball. Sort of fun after getting over the shock ot the first time.