OT - Guitarist Killed on Stage last night

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OT - Guitarist Killed on Stage last night

Post by rh »

Former Pantera Guitarist Killed on Stage

By JAY COHEN, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

full story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... b_shooting
Last edited by rh on Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is no end to the walking
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

That's sick. But I have to say, I'm surprised that type of thing hasn't happened more often at concerts and sporting events.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Time Warner renamed him "Diamond" Darrell for their CDs. "Dimebag" was much more appropriate I think.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Terrible affair.

Mind you I've died a few times meself on various stages.......,

Slan,
D. :roll:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I was once playing guitar in a blues club in Melbourne when a guy pulled a handgun and fired a couple of shots. He didn't hurt anybody, fortunately.

Somehow the bouncers managed to evict him without injury to themselves or him—maybe he made a run for it. Anyway, he could be heard departing firing the occasional shot as he went off down the street. Very scarey. I have no idea whether or not the police apprehended him; the club didn't have a great reputation and I'm not sure they'd have taken a report seriously.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wombat wrote:I was once playing guitar in a blues club in Melbourne when a guy pulled a handgun and fired a couple of shots. He didn't hurt anybody, fortunately.

Somehow the bouncers managed to evict him without injury to themselves or him—maybe he made a run for it. Anyway, he could be heard departing firing the occasional shot as he went off down the street. Very scarey. I have no idea whether or not the police apprehended him; the club didn't have a great reputation and I'm not sure they'd have taken a report seriously.
I thought guns were outlawed down under.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Wombat wrote:I was once playing guitar in a blues club in Melbourne when a guy pulled a handgun and fired a couple of shots. He didn't hurt anybody, fortunately.

I thought guns were outlawed down under.
People who carry guns into Clubs are not usually worried about the legality of it all!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

Hey...the guy was only exercising his 2nd Amendment rights, right?

Jay
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

We don't have amendments down here. That's why our wonderful leader does what he wants to, when he wants to. If we the public try to do the same, he introduces a 'levy' on the activity.
DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

ausdag wrote:We don't have amendments down here. That's why our wonderful leader does what he wants to, when he wants to. If we the public try to do the same, he introduces a 'levy' on the activity.
DavidG
Sound familiar to any of you people from the states?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

R.I.P. Dimebag. He will be sadly missed. \m/
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Bummer.

Ole D. Darrell was a fine guitar player.

Heavy metal is too easy a target for stereotyping and p*ss-taking. Some of those guys can play so well I could almost shoot them myself out of jealousy (poor-taste joke).

Dimebag, Jerry Cantrell and some of the other metal/grunge gitboxers revived my interest in playing guitar after the 80s depressed me so much that I stowed my SG in a cupboard.

Pantera were great, and Darrell was a real virtuoso. Respec'.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

I live about 5 miles from the club where this happened. I've never been in there, but I've driven by it often. I'm not too surprised that this happened. It sucks of course, but back in my younger years I went to plenty of metal shows, and while every secial event has a certain percentage of freaks, those shows had a much higher percentage.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Jeff Stallard wrote:I live about 5 miles from the club where this happened. I've never been in there, but I've driven by it often. I'm not too surprised that this happened. It sucks of course, but back in my younger years I went to plenty of metal shows, and while every secial event has a certain percentage of freaks, those shows had a much higher percentage.
I agree with Buddhu that Pantera were pretty talented. It's very sad to lose a musician and a group of audience members regardless of talent.

I honestly don't think the heavy metal connection is really all that pertinent. I've made most of my living getting up on stage to play or lecture since my mid teens. I'm aware whenever I reflect on it that there is a danger that someone will run amok on each occasion I do it. Despite my earlier story of a club shooting, I've heard more horror stories from universities than the music world. By that I mean teachers stalked and harrassed, death threats, students opening fire in class, students setting fire to themselves on down to less harrowing but still disturbing occurrences. If these haven't happened in my classes, they've happened at places I've taught and to people I know. As a teacher, you quickly learn that in every hundred students there are several nutters some of whom are dangerous. Obviously you can't do your job if you think about that constantly while you are doing it but you need to be a bit careful and to take precautions. I don't regard gigging as more dangerous than lecturing—both have an emotional dimension that can have an unpreditable effect on someone who is seriously disturbed.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dimebag was shot several times close range by Nathan Gale.

A clip from the Pantera.com website:

People who had known the 25-year-old Gale in his hometown of Marysville described him yesterday as an unstable man who once asserted that the Abbott brothers' former band, PANTERA, had stolen his song lyrics.