Tea/appetizer recipes needed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tea/appetizer recipes needed

Post by Redwolf »

This is about as off-topic as it gets, but I really need help. I've been asked to make something for a high tea the church is having before Lessons and Carols this year. I'm a good cook, but I don't normally do much in the way of appetizers or baked goods, so I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? What kind of festive things might your mom or grandmom have made for a special occasion?

I've thought about making samosas, using frozen puff pastry instead of samosa dough (which is insanely hard to work with), but I'd love some other suggestions...especially as I don't know how well samosas will hold up to reheating (I'll have to bring them to church in the morning and the tea, of course, is in the afternoon).

I'm a vegetarian, so I can't make anything using meat or fish, but I'm game for anything else!

Help?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I am probably the least domestically inclined person on this board, but the first things that came to mind are: if sweet--lemon squares, if not sweet--mini quiches (you make them in mini muffin tins.)
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I can't find the recipe for them right now, but I somewhere have a recipe for individual cheesecakes that are delicious, easy to make, and look very elegant. I'll keep looking for the recipe!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
pearl grey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pearl grey »

The first thing I thought of was scones. The second thing I would think of would be cake, any kind of cake. Cake cake cake is what I like with tea.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

pearl grey wrote:The first thing I thought of was scones. The second thing I would think of would be cake, any kind of cake. Cake cake cake is what I like with tea.
Pumpkin cake and pumpkin cookies go well with tea. And they're yummy too.

Edit: %^&# I just made myself want pumpkin cookies REALLY BAD... and THERE'S NO PUMPKIN IN THE PANTRY!!! :sniffle:
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I'm not sure this is 'totally' vegan (since I'm not one), but I've made fruit pizza using the ever-popular crescent rolls as the base. Marshmallow creme and cream cheese mixed together (or any fruit dip) topped with your choice of chopped fruits: apples, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, etc. You can top it all with coconut to complete the "pizza" look. Cut into small serving pieces, this might work for a tea -- but no guarantee on elegant. :D

~Judy
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

jkrazy52 wrote:I'm not sure this is 'totally' vegan (since I'm not one), but I've made fruit pizza using the ever-popular crescent rolls as the base. Marshmallow creme and cream cheese mixed together (or any fruit dip) topped with your choice of chopped fruits: apples, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, etc. You can top it all with coconut to complete the "pizza" look. Cut into small serving pieces, this might work for a tea -- but no guarantee on elegant. :D

~Judy
Definitely not "vegan". Cream cheese = milk product = not vegan-friendly
Crescent rolls = probably not either (butter) :D

On an interesting note, most marshmallow creme has no milk products at all.

I don't think vegan is what the original post meant, though.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Are the inevitable Mince Pies made with dried fruit etc British then?

Trisha
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

King Arthur Flour has a great collection of recipes at www.kingarthurflour.com. They're reliable and yummy. They have scone mixes, as well, which are good.

Holiday parties would be disasters for me if it were not for Sam's Club. The yearly membership fee would be entirely worth it if it enabled me to survive just one Christmas party.

They have mini-quiches, little pastries, desserts, hors d'oeuvres, cheesecake, biscotti, chocolates, and all sorts of other things in catering-size packages. They carry different stuff at Christmas, too--more festive.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Redwolf, do you need vegan recipes, or can they have milk products?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

aderyn_du wrote:Redwolf, do you need vegan recipes, or can they have milk products?
I'm not a vegan, so things containing eggs and dairy are perfectly fine. Just no poultry, fish or gelatin.

I'd like to make something savory, as I'm worried that most people will either be bringing lemon squares or shortbread, and this is going to be the primary evening meal for most of us. Another thing I've thought of is making my delicious white bean Dijon pate, piping it on to little toasts and garnishing it with capers, but I'm worried the toasts might get soggy with sitting.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
trisha

Post by trisha »

Try setting it into cheese pastry cases instead?

Trisha
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Redwolf wrote:
aderyn_du wrote:Redwolf, do you need vegan recipes, or can they have milk products?
I'm not a vegan, so things containing eggs and dairy are perfectly fine. Just no poultry, fish or gelatin.

I'd like to make something savory, as I'm worried that most people will either be bringing lemon squares or shortbread, and this is going to be the primary evening meal for most of us. Another thing I've thought of is making my delicious white bean Dijon pate, piping it on to little toasts and garnishing it with capers, but I'm worried the toasts might get soggy with sitting.

Redwolf

Okay, do any of these sound appetizing ;):

Skewered Cheese Tortellini w/ Garlic Parmesan Sauce
Mushroom Caps Stuffed with Basil, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Parmesan
Walnut-Stuffed Baby Red Potatoes
Cucumber Logs Filled with Black and Gold Hummus
Herb-Stuffed Grape Leaves with Minty Yogurt Sauce
Mushroom and Rice-Stuffed Grape Leaves
Vegetable Samosas
Grilled Polenta with Mushroom Topping
Bulgur-Herb Crostini
Olive-Tomato Crostini
Garlic Toasts with Black Olive Tapenade
Pita Crisps with Spinach, Red Pepper and Feta
Tomato and Rosemary Tartlets
Far East Spring Rolls
Baked Samosa Logs (<--this one is an easy version of samosas, using whole wheat chapatis instead of the trickier dough)

All from my trusty-dusty Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook :-D
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Redwolf, for your pate idea--could you just have a plate of the toasts, and a separate bowl with the pate (sprinkled with capers), and then people could just spoon the pate onto the toast?
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I can't take credit for these -- I wish I could. They are from Red Green:

Pheasant under Duct Tape

1. Shoot a pheasant, or hit it with your car
2. hang it for a couple of days until it is ripe
3. Wrap the bird completely in several layers of duct tape
4. bake at 350 for 1/2 hour per pound.
5. cut off its head and feet, remove entrails. Actually you should have done this before baking.
6. When done, slice duct tape along the back of bird.
7 Peel the duct tape away from the bird, pulling all the feathers with it. Lay the peeled duct tape flat to form a festive serving platter. Voila! Bird is moist, and no dishes to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Easy Beaver Fillets with Artichoke Salsa
(Serves 10 to 30 hungry hunters)

"The perfect fall party pleaser"

Preparation must begin about one week before party by setting a beaver trap in a culvert or nearby swamp.

Ingredients:

1 large beaver
1/2 busshel potatoes
2 gal milk
1 doz. eggs
1 jar Coyote Cocina Fire Roasted Salsa, (16 oz.)
2 gallons Chardonnay wine
12 nice and tender artichokes
8 oz. olive oil
1 box wild rice

Steps:

Skin Beaver and cut into serving size pieces, put the potatoes and the artichokes into a good gunny sack and place under the front wheel of your 4x4 and run them over until both ingredients are mushed together.
Sample the wine to be sure it is of good quality.
Pour 3 cups of wine and 1 gal. milk and the potatoe/artichoke blend into a milk can or similar container and cover. Place milk can over fire and heat until the cover blows off. There should nice flakes of potatoe/articoke remaining inside can, otherwise scrape as much as you can off the nearby trees.
Take another sample of wine to be certain it hasn't gone bad.
Place wild rice into large cooker with water and salt, and heat until tender. Better check the wine again it may have become too warm. Throw eggs into pot and stir in the olive oil until mixed together.
Take a sip or two of the wine just in case..? Dip the pieces of beaver into milk and roll in the potatoe/artichoke flakes, then place in large pan containing the olive oil and eggs, heat on low for a while, the beaver meat will become tender sometime soon, stick it with a fork to test.
Place cooked tender beaver on top of wild rice on nice serving dishes, Then pour the Coyote cocina fire roasted salsa over the beaver. (heat the salsa in microwave first). Dump some potatoe/artichoke on plate and serve with glass of Chardonnay wine. (If there's no wine left, serve the beer you've been hiding from your spouse), Now get ready for rave reviews!

Enjoy,

Will O'Ban :party:
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!