Looking for something better than a sweetone...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slartibartfast
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for something better than a sweetone...

Post by slartibartfast »

Yo.
I just recently got into the Irish whistle, having purchased a Clarke Sweetone D for no apparent reason and enjoying the playability. However, I've noticed that it just doesn't sound very good, especially on slow airs, and it appears that many of you concur. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to give me some suggestions for a better-sounding tinwhistle. More specifically, a softer, less tinny sound.

Thanks.
-------
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society" - Mark Twain
-------
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Depending on what you want to spend, I'd try a Syn aluminum , available for $38.00 at Gaelic Crossings, or a Burke. My favorite Burke is the Aluminum Narrow Bore (DAN), which goes for $130.

To me, these are both great for slow airs. The Burke is a bit louder, and perhaps a bit more expressive. It's also prettier. The Syn, on the other hand, is made of relatively heavy tubing, so it's very sturdy.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
cazadorecovey

Post by cazadorecovey »

I wouldn't go and automatically write off the sweetone. Before going and spending alot more for a whistle, you might to read Magic Fingers Dale's articles about Flagolet Surgery, see if you can tweak your whistle first.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/surgery.html

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html

Hope this helps,
Covey

"This is the story of the Hurricane. The man the authorities came to blame."
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Welcome to whistledom! :D

Even though my tastes have gradually become more sophisticated, I still enjoy playing almost any old whistle. You may be pretty happy with a tiny upgrade, or a little tweaking, before you get hard core. I'd say try a Generation. You can get one that's unaltered, or you can get a tweaked one (Jerry Freeman did mine) or a Hoover Whitecap, for a reasonable price.

Glad you've joined us.
Jennie
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I agree with sticking with the Sweetone for a while. FWIW, problems with how a whistle sounds (assuming it's not defective in some way) are as much a player issue as an instrument issue. You're new to this instrument...give yourself time to learn to play your Sweetone to the best of your ability and to get the full beauty out of it before you start switching whistles.

If you read the archives here, you'll find there are a lot of us who had whistles that "just didn't sound good." We put them aside and began the quest for the "perfect whistle." Some time later, when we came back to the the one we'd put aside, we were astounded at how much "it" had improved.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks for the info. I've been playing for a couple of weeks, learning jigs, reels, tv tunes, airs, basically whatever I can get my hands on. The sweetone is awesome for anything quick. On slow airs it still sounds fine, too, but it's not quite the effect I'm looking for. For slower, sadder music I would rather have a softer, mellower instrument. Hence my post :)

Thanks, again.
-------
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society" - Mark Twain
-------
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I'd vote for the tweaked Clarke original from the whistleshop or a Dixon. Don't have experience with the Syn's however. Or, maybe try a lower key.

Robin
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Of the early cheapies I played, the Sweetone was by far the most forgiving. It also had a sort of ripe fruity tone. Others have described Swetones I can't recognise from the descriptions. Perhaps there is a lot of variability.

I like the sound of the Clarke original. Generations are very nice but many beginners find them hard to control; it seems to depend on your getting a good one. Others have made sensible suggestions.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I'd vote for the tweaked Clarke original from the whistleshop or a Dixon. Don't have experience with the Syn's however. Or, maybe try a lower key.

Robin
Have to agree with all Robin says. My first 'up-grade' whistle was a Dixon, and I still like the tone. I have a Dixon in A that's great for slower tunes. The lower tone fits the sound I was looking for.

Welcome to the world of whistling. Beware of the advice you get here, though. We all have personal favorites and different tastes. :wink:

~Judy
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Of all the sub-$40 whistles that we have tried the only one my wife Renee liked was the Syn aluminum.

Oh, the Walton's Mellow D was an OK one too, but not nearly so accepted as the Syn.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus