Wooden R#c$%^er recommendation??

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wooden R#c$%^er recommendation??

Post by missy »

first - sorry, sorry, sorry, I know this is BAD, but I can't seem to change him........

Noah plays {{shudder}} the recorder. I know, I am a terrible parent. He also played "Whiskey 'Fore Breakfast" on the noseflute, so hopefully that will help in his salvation.

Anyway, since he DOES play this.... this...... thing, I want to get him a nice one, nicer than his current plastic one. Don't want to go way overboard (it IS still a recorder!), but was wondering if anyone would actually own up and could give me some recommendations (along with possible purchasing outlets) for wooden ones. Soprano range (I know, even worse).

I'm hoping it's just a teen thing and he'll one day see the light, but till then, I'll just suffer.......

Thanks

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Don't tell anyone but I have a Hohner which sounds very nice and wasn't too expensive. I think about $20 USD.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

In my experience and from what I have been told by others in the R456098743er arena you have to dig deep to get a really nice wooden recorder. REALLY DEEP! Now, as mentioned, you can find some decent ones for less than a couple hundred, but to get one in the quality level associated with the great whistles you have to spend HUNDREDS, many multiple hundreds of dollars.

Good luck,
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Hi Missy,

A couple of suggestions ...

If you don't have much to spend, you may want to consider a better quality plastic recorder. Yamaha makes a woodgrain/ivory-color-trim that is very good ... a lot better than some of the cheaper wood recorders. Look for the Yamaha-woodgrain-Rottenburgh at the link below.

For a higher-end wood recorder at a decent price, you may want to look at Moeck, also at the link below. The maple soprano Rottenburgh is about $100 and the same in an alto is about $250. I've had the alto since I was 15, which is ... ummm .... a long time, and it is really very good. The boxwood ones are even better. I'm assuming that the design and quality hasn't changed in all these years.

Here's a link to get you started - it's where I bought my plastic recorders. These folks also used to voice and repair recorders, but I don't see that service on the website now.

[url]http://www.courtlymusicunlimited.com/Instruments.html

My experience on the recorder really made for a smooth transition to the whistle. Maybe the same will happen with your son. :wink:

Lisa
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

H.C. Fehr makes excellent recorders that are much cheaper than most. The plumwood ones aren't shrill or piercing.

http://www.blockfloeten.ch/english/index2.html
~JessieD
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

A while back, Glauber mentioned these recorders . . .

http://leecollins.com/custom.htm

They take a good quality plastic recorder and revoice it by replacing the plastic plug with a wooden one. I don't have one, but I have heard good things about them. They aren't too expensive, either.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

IDAwHOa wrote:In my experience and from what I have been told by others in the R456098743er arena you have to dig deep to get a really nice wooden recorder. REALLY DEEP! Now, as mentioned, you can find some decent ones for less than a couple hundred, but to get one in the quality level associated with the great whistles you have to spend HUNDREDS, many multiple hundreds of dollars.

Good luck,
Somewhere in the range of $1000-$2000, depending on if you're going for a soprano or alto (tenors can be even more expensive), and what wood the instrument is made of.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

LisaD wrote:Hi Missy,

A couple of suggestions ...

If you don't have much to spend, you may want to consider a better quality plastic recorder. Yamaha makes a woodgrain/ivory-color-trim that is very good ... a lot better than some of the cheaper wood recorders. Look for the Yamaha-woodgrain-Rottenburgh at the link below.

For a higher-end wood recorder at a decent price, you may want to look at Moeck, also at the link below. The maple soprano Rottenburgh is about $100 and the same in an alto is about $250. I've had the alto since I was 15, which is ... ummm .... a long time, and it is really very good. The boxwood ones are even better. I'm assuming that the design and quality hasn't changed in all these years.

Lisa
Missy,

I agree with Lisa's comments. (If you're new to the board, I suppose I should mention that I work at a shop in Boston that makes very expensive wooden recorders, however it's not my intention to post an advertisement, so I won't mention the name. Never the less, in addition to our fine hand made recorders, we also sell new and used recorders from other makers, so we have lots of experience with most of what's out there.)

Having said that, the Yamaha recorders mentioned above, offer the best bang for the buck of any recorders we've run across. The Moeck mentioned above is an excellent design, although I will say that we do some additional work to the Moecks we sell.

Then there are always used instruments, which can often be the best way to get into a decent wooden instrument for less money.

Best of luck with your search,

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I'm no Recorder expert,Missy,so I can't give you any Sage like answer,but a few interesting suggestions have already been made.
Good Wooden Recorders are expensive,so maybe 'high level' plastic may be an answer.
The lee Collins tweaked Zen-on Soprano gets some good write ups (I have the untweaked Zen-on 'wood grained plastic models -I like the soprano-the Alto is rather 'reedy').
Strictly on looks,I like the Mollenhauer 'Denner' model over Moek's 'Rottenburgh'.
A good source of advice is the Yahoo Recorder group (the recorder worlds 'chiff and fipple')
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/recorder/
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll second Loren's comments. Used recorders from a reputable source can be a terrific value. My wife has a Maple Rottenburg (Moeck) that we bought used from the shop where Loren works, and she loves it.
I would save your money for now until you find out if you son is really going to stick with the recorder. The plastic Yamaha's mentioned above are truly superb musical instruments , capable of playing ANYTHING in the recorder literature. The fact that they are virtually maintanence free is a plus too. If your son is still an avid player when he graduates high school, buy him a fine wooden one then as a gift.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

woe is me..
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

brewerpaul wrote:I own one of their Rippert altos which is simply great. However, I bought mine many years ago when the price was "only" $600 or so, and I think that is nearly t ripled by now.
Yikes! Just how old are you anyway Paul?!? :lol:

Just kidding. :wink:

As luck would have it Paul, we're just finishing up a small batch of Rippert Altos now, I'll be filing and dying the tone holes tomorrow, in preparation to send them out to a show. I just finished turning another 80 or so Boxwood Rippert heads yesterday......we never have enough of the darn things, however the one Amar Special ordered, with the prissy little Ivory rings, will be ready shortly. :twisted:

Loren
cazadorecovey

Post by cazadorecovey »

Sorry to those who might be offended for me suggesting this, but why don't you just tell your son that recorders are for wusses and that its time for him to grow up a little and pick up a whistle.

Maybe that won't fly, so here's my other suggestion. Buy him a nice whistle and tell him that its a new recorder design. Come up with something nice and elaborate. C'mon, won't be the first time a parent has ever lied to a child... my parents certainly weren't above it.

Covey,

With a little help from my friends
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I'll third Lisa's Comments.

The Yamaha woodgrains are very well done. I got a set (I think from the website listed above) for less than $50. Soprano and Alto. The soprano in "Ebony" and the Alto in "Rosewood". They both look and feel incredibly wood-like. The fit and finish was perfect on both. I have put them up against real blackwood and boxwood recorders and their sound quality rivals the wooden ones in my opinion. I would say the tonal color (vs a real wooden recorder) is not beyond the variance you would expect from one wood type to another. It's that close to the real thing.

They are very playable with a nice full tone, agile in octave switching and dead on A=440 tuning with baroque fingering.

Plus as a casual recorder player, I don't have to watch for humidity problems, don't have to oil them, can pick them up after months of not playing them and blow for hours without worrying about them cracking.

Quite a good buy in my opinion.

Good Luck
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Tak_the_whistler

COMING OUT!!

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I've got two Yamaha re????ers...sprano and alto. Also, my father's got a Moeck (which plays excellent). :o :D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis