Semi-Beginner low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Austinro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Austinro »

I am in the market for a low D whistle. I have (and still do) played the clarinet for close to six years, and I am fairly good with my clarke D. I want to get into the low whistles but have no clue what to buy. Any advice anyone could give me would be great.
Thanks
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello Austin,

Check your Private Messages, I might have something that would suit you, if you want to start on the low D.

If you have small hands, you might want to consider something in a little higher key, though.
~~~~
Barry
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Semi-Beginner low whistle

Post by IDAwHOa »

greenspiderweb wrote:Hello Austin,

Check your Private Messages, I might have something that would suit you, if you want to start on the low D.

If you have small hands, you might want to consider something in a little higher key, though.
Having played the clarinet, back pressure is your friend. Overtons have a good amount of back pressure. Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie make this model of low whistle. There is a Bernard Overton Low D on ebay right now. Starting bid is $90.

Now, if you can deal with little to any back pressure and have small hands, a Jubilee practice Low D might do the trick for you. They have the smallest finger spread of any low d out there other than my Bleazey low d. The Jubilee is also a very inexpensive whistle to boot.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Just yesterday I received my MID-East Low D cane whistle (my first low D). If you have large hands, and want to start out with something inexpensive, you might want to consider trying one. I ordered mine from Amazon. I think it was only $12 after shipping and handling. I think you can also order them from Lark in the Morning for about the same price.

For more info, check out Dale's review under low whistles on the main site. My only problem with it so far is that I have small hands, and covering the D hole is extremely difficult.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Yeah, I ditto the backpressure advice. Going from clarinet or any reed instrument to Low Whistle is very different because you accustomed to the instrument's resistance. The Overton is obviously the creme of the crop and is more expensive than others. If you are looking for a cheaper Low Whistle with lots of backpressure go with the Kerry Low D....The finger wholes are a little on the big side, but pipers grip can remedy the situation.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

As someone who shouldn't be put off by backpressure, you probably can't do better than an Overton. BTW, relatively speaking, they aren't really very expensive. They might just be the best bargain around.

I don't have much experience with cheaper low whistles except Susatos and a Howard low C. I really like the Howard and I can't imagine that many cheapies would be as good. (Note however that some say that it has holes on the biggish side for a beginner and that the D is not as fine an instrument as the C. Note too that much criticism of Howards comes from people who haven't played the recent improved models.) To my thinking, the Susato doesn't have anything like the complexity of tone treasured in a low whistle and isn't particularly easy to play.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I can recommend an Overton Low D. It's a great low whistle and you will love the cosmic drainpipe while enjoying the backpressure (Colin makes both soft/hard blow, so you might want to specify when placing an order).

As some people recommend, I like Mid-east cane low A which I bought from Songsea.com. It's in tune, and it was sold for $14. I really liked the sound and went on to buy three low D's from the same retailer ($16each). Something was wrong with the whistles and they were all out of tune. :o I tried tweaking but it didn't work. :cry:

I guess if you're looking for a cheap low whistle to practice on, you can't go wrong with the cane low A...from then on you can proceed to low Ds in no time. Or, if you're really serious about a low D, get an Overton -- you'll never regret your purchase. It will be an instrument to last for your lifetime. Colin can adjust the backpressure and the spacing of the holes.

Finger holes on Susato low D are larger than that of Overton and it may be difficult to play at first. After having got used to my Overton it became easier to play it though, since I'm gradually mastering the pipers' grip.

Chieftain whistles are great too....they cost slightly less than Overtons. I really love the recent model; beautiful voice and comfortable backpressure.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

michael_coleman wrote:If you are looking for a cheaper Low Whistle with lots of backpressure go with the Kerry Low D....The finger wholes are a little on the big side, but pipers grip can remedy the situation.
I don't remember my Kerry as having high back pressure, more on the medium side.

One other I just remembered that came close to the Overton is the Chieftain. I did not like the playability or tone as much as my Overtons (just me?) but it is a little less expensive option as well.

I still recommend the Overton. Watch Ebay and here for used ones for sale. Just be sure to ask questions about the playing since he can do custom tuning on them.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I really think it's a false economy to buy the poor man's Overton-substitute—you know the whistle I'm talking about. Sooner or later, very likely sooner, you'll want to trade up to the real thing. I've never regretted going for the real thing straight away.
otsaku

Post by otsaku »

after severe bouts of cramp trying to play a low c I bought a dixon low D, nice lightweight plastic body- the hole spacing is still a little much for my small hands but it sounds great and for a beginner that's encouraging.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Jubilee practice low D. I'd sell you mine except I like it.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Wombat wrote:I really think it's a false economy to buy the poor man's Overton-substitute—you know the whistle I'm talking about. Sooner or later, very likely sooner, you'll want to trade up to the real thing. I've never regretted going for the real thing straight away.
I think it is great that you think highly of the Overton. It is a wonderful whistle. Mine is FS over at GC. I put it down in deference to a OS Chieftain.
As far as I can tell, each individual player needs to find the one whistle that fits to bring out the best in each and it isnt necessarily the ones with a 3 month waiting period or the highest price tag. My dog-chewed Jerry Freeman-cobbled Feadog/Generation gets 10Xs more playing time than the Copeland.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Wombat wrote:
I really think it's a false economy to buy the poor man's Overton-substitute—you know the whistle I'm talking about. Sooner or later, very likely sooner, you'll want to trade up to the real thing. I've never regretted going for the real thing straight away.

StewySmoot wrote:
I think it is great that you think highly of the Overton. It is a wonderful whistle. Mine is FS over at GC. I put it down in deference to a OS Chieftain.
As far as I can tell, each individual player needs to find the one whistle that fits to bring out the best in each and it isnt necessarily the ones with a 3 month waiting period or the highest price tag.
This is the way I also think about the tone and playability of whistles too-each and every one of us has to play them to find out how WE relate to them. I've also found the Chieftain Old Style low D to be a great whistle, with a lovely tone and playability, without the high backpressure most Overtons have. Not that backpressure is bad, but not all prefer it. Colin also makes a low back pressure on request, though. And one that is for people with smaller hands.

The Overton has a completely different tone and playability, and it's not better or worse, it is what it is; another well made whistle with a unique tone, that some people prefer to play. Colin Goldie will make it how you like it, if you order from him, because it is handcrafted, not factory made. But you will pay well for that choice. The same goes for the Kerry Pro, handmade by Phil Hardy. I don't know if Phil takes requests for tonal qualities, but I know he has posted his Kerry Pros as having different sounds. You could probably request what you like too.

Just recently, I found my "desert isle" whistle, and that is the Michael Burke Low D Pro Composite. It has a lovely, sweet, woody sound, with some presence, some say flutey tone. It doesn't quite cut like a metal whistle, but for a personal whistle played for pure pleasure of tone, it's hard to beat. It is what I like best at the moment, and I have a feeling will
continue to be for some time. A wooden whistle may give it a run for the money. That is, if you spend a little more and are willing to take care of wood, and put up with humidity problems if you live in a humid area.
It's not your ideal whistle, it's mine! I'm just glad I don't have to make that choice, so I can play differernt whistles for their various tonal qualities and uniqueness each one posesses.

Your choice depends what is important to you, but the higher quality whistles will most likely give you better satisfaction than buying low end. But, if your budget it limited, then there are still some good choices in starter low Ds that you could be happy with for some time.

Make a choice, stick with it for a while and get to know the whistle. Then, see what you like and dislike about it, and go from there.

Good luck to you!
~~~~
Barry
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I'd like to comment on the Kerry low D. I owned a Jubilee low D aluminum, and borrowed both the Howard low D and a Dixon Low D. For my hands, the Kerry has the best finger spacing, and my hand/fingerspan is just at about 7.5" comfortably. As for hole size, I didn't measure the difference on the Jubilee or Howard, but the Kerry's hole spacing is a total of 1/8" less than the Dixon low D, which for me, was an easier hole spacing than the Jubilee or Howard. I do like the tone of the Kerry the best of the four, which is why it's my low D of choice for now.

I think Barry brings up a great point, which has taken me some time to solidify in my head . . . that is what is good for me, may not be the best choice for someone else. But that's part of the fun on this whistling adventure. I find there are some whistles I own that I like at different times, so I wouldn't get rid of them, unless they sat for awhile.

matt
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Matt:

I agree with you 100%. I tried just about every Low out there until I finally found my fit and as we all know from past posts, that my fit certainly dosn't fit everyone.

I have come to realize that a whistle especially a Low is not a one size fits all.

Hope you find your fit.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song