Your first tune ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Your first tune ?

Post by rorybbellows »

The first time I got my hands on a practice set which was loaned to me I was sent home and told to get a feel for it and try and maybe have a go at a scale . It was going to be two weeks until I got my next lesson so in an effort to play something I recognised I learned the melody to “A black velvet band” . My first proper tune I learned was “The rambling pitchfork”
What tune did you first learn ?

RORY

Ps I apologise in advance if this has been covered before !!
maw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maw »

Mine was Garrett Barry's Jig :)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Just under 2 weeks ago when I first got my practice set I decided I'd have a stab at playing Inisheer - partly because it's my usual 'tester' tune when trying out new whistles and flutes. Plus the first part stays in the lower octave (which was all I could manage at the time). I've managed to add the second part now, although the Maid was well and truly Behind the Bar during my practice tonight! :lol:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Sorry I take it back I just remembered The first tune I learned was "the song of the chanter "then "The rambling pitchfork " !!

RORY
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I just got the Clarke tutor and have erased the fingering that i had been using the month and a half prior, now I'm getting the tight style down pretty well. And along with it, my first tune, "The Connaughtman's Rambles". :D

-Mike
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Well, after the A note exercises in Heather Clarke's book it'd have to be whatever was next, Song of the CHnater maybe, but as far as I can remember, my first 'real' tune - one that can be played in a session that is - was Martin Rochford's from the HC tutor.

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hewlett and An Phis Fluich....I took both on at the same time....still perfecting them.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Probably Blarney Pilgrim/Kesh/Merrily Kiss the Quaker
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
djm

Post by djm »

While I was supposed to be studying HR Clarke's, I was really spending my time struggling to learn the tunes that first attracted me to UPs, Liam O'Flynn's Dublin Reel and An Phis Fliuch. I still can't play them right, but they're still my favourite tunes.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Fáinne Gael an Lae
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, brought over from the whistle. Though I can play what I would consider "harder tunes" I am still trying to bring over my first whistle tune, Irish Washerwoman. I suppose if I were really dedicated I would just practice that one tune until I could play it well and I was completely sick of it. Oh well, I won't give up the day job anytime soon.....back to the Christmas songs.

John

Edited to a form of English
glands

Post by glands »

Banks of the Suir, a lovely slow air.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

My first tune on the pipes was Rory of the Hills...which I learned out of O'Neill's. It's also known as The King Of Laoise.
goldy

Post by goldy »

As a 'learn by ear' piper, I went for the tune Davy Spillane played in Riverdance - with a new stiff reed, that second octave C took some puff.

Following lots of airs, my first attempt at learning a fastish tune - 'Out on the ocean'

My first attempt at learning a really fast tune - 'The milliner's daughter' (this has remained my favourite tune).
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

srfmowman wrote:God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, brought over from the whistle. Oh well, I won't give up the day job anytime soon.....back to the Christmas songs.

John
I like whistling that one, too. I copied the 'Carnival Band' version (they back Maddy Prior?) with a nifty little fill/bridge that leads into the main tune beautifully and which I like to twin with Personent Hodie - I like the mediaeval sound sometimes.

If the pipes come out New Year's Eve for a quick Auld Lang's Syne outside at midnight, as well they might, I reckon God Rest YMG is almost guaranteed as the next tune - then Joy to the World? :party:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.