Recorder Toss Olympics!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Recorder Toss Olympics!

Post by Loren »

From another thread:

Caj wrote:
"The highest pitch on a wooden whistle?

About 20 yards with a good arm.

Caj"

That's nothing, you should see an angry Piper throw a recorder!

Hey, that gives me an idea We should have a little contest at every regional C&F get together - The Recorder Toss Olympics! One male, and one femal winner gets crowned from each region. Then, if we ever have a national gathering, we can have the regional winner compete for the National Championship. In the mean time, we can still have region vs. region awards.

You hear that Higgins? I'm throwing down the Gauntlet! Errr.... plastic recorder to be precise. I say we North Easterners can kick you're sorry, laid back, Birkenstock wearing, granola eating, surf board waxing, West Coast butts. What do you have to say to that, fancy pants? You game?

Loren
emmline

Post by emmline »

Being topic-specific:
emmline wrote:
Loren wrote:
Hey, that gives me an idea :twisted: We should have a little contest at every regional C&F get together - The Recorder Toss Olympics!
I'll play. I've been taught how NOT to "throw like a girl."
john swinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

lets go international. ireland vs scotland vs england vs america vs canadia vs ... oh you get the picture.
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

It would be cool to use the same rec***er every year and mail it back and forth for the various gatherings. :lol:
john swinton

Post by john swinton »

good idea. what about an event where participants make a contaption to throw the said recorder.

(or your lungs colapse!)

emmline

Post by emmline »

john swinton wrote:good idea. what about an event where participants make a contaption to throw the said recorder.
They have an event of that sort every Fall, in Lewes Delaware, called the "Punkin' Chunkin." Entrants have tried to devise methods of catapulting a pumpkin the farthest,
john swinton

Post by john swinton »

I know!

(or your lungs colapse!)

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

You hear that Higgins? I'm throwing down the Gauntlet! Errr.... plastic recorder to be precise. I say we North Easterners can kick you're sorry, laid back, Birkenstock wearing, granola eating, surf board waxing, West Coast butts. What do you have to say to that, fancy pants? You game?
First off, Bookbinder, I don't surf. There's great white sharks along our coast.

Second, aren't you the same Loren who makes recorders for a living? I guess your boss doesn't read this forum. Maybe I should give him a heads-up.

And finally, why are you dragging me into this? I was upstairs cleaning my room and popped down to see if there was something to eat around here. There wasn't, so I compulsively came to check the board and found you baiting me. What's the connection between me and recorders, anyway? Besides, I have a bad shoulder (or back or something). :roll:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

There could be a whole series of Recorder throwing events:

1. Recorder Javelin.
2. Recorder in the hole toss.
3. Recorder Explosives. Make a recorder out of plastic explosives and see how many pieces you can find in the field.
4. Recorder Bow & Arrow. See how far you can shoot it using the bow of a fiddle.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I tried to toss my caber sized 'Kung' Great Bass Recorder,and have put my shoulder out! :sniffle:
Should have started with the Garklein,and built up!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
john swinton

Post by john swinton »

kevin. where do u live?

(or your lungs colapse!)

kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

As my profile says,I live in Tyne and Wear,in the North East of England,known for flat caps,Whippets,'Broon Ale' and er,Recorders?!%?! :boggle:

WHY AYE MAN!! :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:There could be a whole series of Recorder throwing events:

1. Recorder Javelin.
2. Recorder in the hole toss.
3. Recorder Explosives. Make a recorder out of plastic explosives and see how many pieces you can find in the field.
4. Recorder Bow & Arrow. See how far you can shoot it using the bow of a fiddle.
How about a bodhran assisted event? Bodhrans are placed at various locations down field. You can achieve additional yardage by bouncing the recorder off a bodhran or get double yardage by puncturing one.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Perhaps something like golf except Bodhrans are the "holes".

You might want a tenor or base recorder for sheer power and a sopranino for those short putts.

Is it allowable to duct tape the parts together during the game to keep the recorder from falling apart?

Can you use a "flut-o-phone" as a substitute? Or the legendary Yamaha 8 hole "fife"?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Lets see... we'll have a catcher covered in bodhran padding, a pitcher to throw the recorder, and the banjo player hits it as far as he can. Anybody got a diamond shaped field they're not using?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)