OT: Ebay username database

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

bagfed
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I use my name daniel_bingamon.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

mine is Whistler_718.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
dd

Post by dd »

I am MissDDisme......... AND AGAIN I AM SORRY GEEZ i feel BAD each time I think of the lovely whistles. AND.......I DIDNT bid on the whistle bag once I KNEW someone from here was bidding on it.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I personally don't see any reasoon for you to apologize. We're all big kids here. If two of us want something, then we should both bid on it. The one who places the highest valuse on it will win.

I sell antiques as a sideline. That means a lot of real auctions. If I and a friend who might also be a dealer want the same item, then we need to decide what we think we can get for it and how much margin we need - and bid accordingly.

You can't be expected to be a shrinking violet each time some other C&Fer bids. That might be nice of you, but it wouldn't be very fair to you.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On the other hand, we can all win by working together. DD, if you are talking about the tuffbaggs bag that I am bidding on, I am pretty sure that if you contact the seller after the auction she would probably sell you one for the auction price. And she has several other colors that are not in the auction.

But my intent with this thread was not to make anyone feel bad. I just wanted to give us a resource so we're not killing each other on items. If it's a one-of-a-kind or particularly rare whistle, that's one thing - but for items that are pretty common I just figured it'd be a nice list to have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-04-01 00:04 ]</font>
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Here's the way I bid. If I see something I want that doesn't yet have a bid, I generally put in an opening bid. After that I make up my mind what I'm willing to give for the item and, if it hasn't reached that $ amount yet, in the last few seconds of the auction, I place my bid. This keeps me from overbidding when I get caught up in the excitement of the auction. There's been a couple of times when I wished I had bid more but not generally. It helps me with my lack of control and paying more than what I think something is worth. It's just the way I do it. I'm glad that I now know some of your eBay names. If the item is something I'm only vaguely interested in and you are bidding, I'll probably pass. If it is something I think I really want I'll bid on it but at least you know my bidding strategy.

Namasté

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2002-04-01 15:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2002-04-01 15:28 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Just so you know, that method is called Sniping and is generally frowned upon by Ebay...not that I don't do it too sometimes. :wink: When I do, though, I try to put my bid in about a half minute or minute before it ends so if the other bidders are watching they have a chance to reconsider their bid.
livethe question

Uh-oh! :eek:

I didn't know that. It just seems a good way for me not to get caught up in the auction fever. :smile: Here in Iowa we have many auctions and there are just different ideas and philosophies about bidding that different people have developed over time. Is there a place in eBay that cues a person in to "appropriate" behavior? Thanks for the heads up...obviously were I aware I wouldn't have been advertising my own "faux pas" or is that a "fox pass"?

I'll think about it. It still makes more sense to me just to decide what I'm willing to pay and bid it at the very last. Seems like anyone should be able to do that and it evens out in the end. Don't mean to offend.

Peace

Namaste

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2002-04-01 21:32 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

No offense, of course. I'll see if I can find the area that it says no sniping. it's possible they have changed their policy since I read it years ago.

On a highly amusing note, I crept into the image directory of the person selling the whistle case, and found this!

http://www.tuffbaggs.com/images/whiscross.jpg
livethe question

Did you win the whistle case?

I have two tuffbag cases and think they are great. One I got from a fellow board member and the other I ordered directly from tuffbags.

they are all quality.
Peace

Namasté

jim
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Nope, it;'s ending in five minutes, but I'm not going for it. I'm contacting the seller direct.
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

skywatcher
dd

Post by dd »

Sorry you didnt get the bag. Nobody was bidding on it until the last minute. and.......i think it is FOX PAWS lol. Actually bidding in the last SECOND is considered sniping. They TELL you that you should just bid and put your maximum in. It IS in the last few minutes that people often get carried away. Its that competitive thing at the end. IF the tuff bag lady is willing to take orders at the auction price....maybe you could send her email to me??? DD<-------NOT the sniper : )
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

You can get to her from the "Ask Seller a question" link: <A Href="http://contact.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP ... 84">edited for length, just click here</A>

Just email and say you lost the auction but are there any more bags. Don't mention me =) When she originally offered me the deal she gave me a choice of colors so that must mean she has more than one available. I've emailed her accepting the offer but haven't gotten a reply yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-04-01 23:12 ]</font>

PS - if you look at the past auctions, she has offered a Deluxe bag for $32.50 in a previous offer, though the pic is no longer up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-04-01 23:13 ]</font>